Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question The $100 Wardrobe

Just recently got into this obsessi---, ahem, hobby and it's not exactly easy on the wallet. I like to think about hypothetical situations, which got me wondering - could you put together a well-rounded wardrobe for $100? Perhaps the suggestion of something like this here is blasphemy, but I figure there are some here who would like to play along. From my lurking around I've noticed there are quite a number of creative people here and I think it would be interesting to hear about what choices would be made if you were limited to $100 tops for you whole wardrobe (lets not count sales tax or shipping costs). I figure it would be fun and challenging to come up with the right cost-to-quality ratio. So again, the question I pose for you basenoters is, could you put together a decent wardrobe, that covers pretty much all occasions and seasons, for a hundred bucks? What would you put in your wardrobe? Would you buy 4-5 inexpensive (but decent) colognes? Or would you buy 1 or 2 of your absolute favorites that you can't live without and just wear that all the time? Etc etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you all come up with for your imaginary $100 drobes. Oh, and this is my first post. Woohoo, don't bite

Blog Entries

Default Re: The $100 Wardrobe

Hello and welcome to basenotes!
    This kind of hypothetical situation came up a couple of times in the last few months, check out the posts that come up when you search for " cheap favourites" "cheapos" etc!
    Speaking from my point of view I'd go with 2-3 of my inexpensive favourites such as Cool Water, Rochas man and Victory league that could cover many situations however chances are pretty high that you end up shifting priorities a bit to have more money to spend on fragrances. Food for example is really loosing ground in my books
    And to be honest, I dont feel as bad spening money on perfum instead of lets say smokes and booze (talking hypothetical, right ) which is what some others do.
    Last edited by timaru; 3rd January 2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling...

Adidas Victory League, Witness by Bogart, Francesco Smalto, Carven Homme, FUBU Plush or Rouge Royal, Everlast Original 1910, Cuba Red and Orange, possibly a Samba frag or two, and I might still have some money remaining !

Interesting question...
    I'd say depends on if you want to learn about frags or you just want to have a few bottles. Most people end up buying more becuas of curiosity and learning.
    The best way IMHO to spend $100 on frags is to buy samples and minis on BN or eBay. Quality over quantity anyday when it comes to fragrance. Also consider used bottles (I know some people may think this is gross?) but it is another way of getting the juice without the outlay of cash.

I second timaru's "shifting priorities" comment as well.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

The $100 wardrobe suffered when the plethora of decant sites went south after the ban. 5-15ml decants were seemingly everywhere on the net from reliable sellers. Basenoters offered a great selection also. Since there still 'may' be sellers around, do the rules allow a 'hypethetical' decant wardrobe? (Names will be changed to protect the innocent)
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Cumming by Alan Cumming

Blog Entries

Bulgari Aqua, Mugler Cologne, Versace Dreamer, John Varvatos.

Blog Entries

Varvatos Vintage $20
    Escada Pour Homme $10
    Paco Rabanne PH $15
    Fahrenheit $25
    Rive Gauche $25

$95
    for 5 scents which are really great. To be honest, that is a great collection for under a $100.

now, in real life....if i was given $100, i'd probably just blow it all on a bottle of Knize Ten and be screwed with nothing else!
    Last edited by everso; 3rd January 2009 at 08:38 PM.

I'd go for decants of some of my favourites, there aren't many great bargain places here
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.
    Currently wearing: Chypré Fruité by Montale

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    Varvatos Vintage $20
    Escada Pour Homme $10
    Paco Rabanne PH $15
    Fahrenheit $25
    Rive Gauche $25

$95 for 5 scents which are really great. To be honest, that is a great collection for under a $100.

now, in real life....if i was given $100, i'd probably just blow it all on a bottle of Knize Ten and be screwed with nothing else!
    Everso, you did my heavy lifting. I would've assumed as you did that rikoozik wanted the players to assume at least 50 mL bottle purchases.
    Possible substitutions for your list might be Opium PH ($20 at TJ Maxx), Pierre Cardin Cologne (less than $20 for 100 mL!), and possibly Stetson.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 3rd January 2009 at 09:38 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

where can you get Fahrenheit for $25? just wondering.
    it really depends on what you like. for me i'd just wait for a sale somewhere to stock up on some things i like, not really a fan of any of the cheap drugstore ones. right now perfumania has a buy one get one for 9.99 sale going on.

Varvatos Vintage $20
    Escada Pour Homme $10
    Paco Rabanne PH $15
    Fahrenheit $25
    Rive Gauche $25

$95
    for 5 scents which are really great. To be honest, that is a great collection for under a $100.

But is this being realistic ? I am sure these fragrances have been marked down to those levels, but still, I do not know how easily one can find fragrances at these prices. Good list however, and I see you have included some of your favorites.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Everso, you did my heavy lifting. I would've assumed as you did that rikoozik wanted the players to assume at least 50 mL bottle purchases.
    Possible substitutions for your list might be Opium PH ($20 at TJ Maxx), Pierre Cardin Cologne (less than $20 for 100 mL!), and possibly Stetson.
    yeah i think Opium is definitely a contender as well! As for Pierre Cardin, im not really a fan----BUT a few weeks ago i saw a HUGE 200ml or more bottle for $7. lol.

this game of $100 is no fun, unless we assume that it requires proper bottles at least 30-50ml....y'know? plenty of cheaper options which are great IMO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    But is this being realistic ? I am sure these fragrances have been marked down to those levels, but still, I do not know how easily one can find fragrances at these prices. Good list however, and I see you have included some of your favorites.
    that's how much i bought these scents for here in NYC. They are readily available at those prices online....quite easily actually. And not from ebay.....The only one i think that's tough to find for the price i've listed is Escada Pour Homme, and that's mainly because TJ Maxx/Marshall's carries bottles of this new for $7-15...and i'm not sure anyone else does really.

i found those prices in actual shops for sealed bottles in boxes....

that's how much i bought these scents for here in NYC. They are readily available at those prices online....quite easily actually. And not from ebay.....The only one i think that's tough to find for the price i've listed is Escada Pour Homme, and that's mainly because TJ Maxx/Marshall's carries bottles of this new for $7-15...and i'm not sure anyone else does really.

i found those prices in actual shops for sealed bottles in boxes....
    I can vouch for all of everso's prices except for Fahrenheit, which I haven't been able to find in a brick-and-mortar store in KC for less than ca. $40. But I'm sure everso has more purchasing options in NYC, so I have no reason to doubt him.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Others that I got cheap and may still be found at super low prices: Horizon, Jacomo Rouge, and Jacomo Silver. Quorum I can get cheaply locally (Marshalls) , but I'm not sure if I'd use it much.

Yeah, you're screwed. Say goodbye to wealth in dollars. There is NO easy answer on what to buy inexpensively that will satisfy your olfactory desires. However... here's a hint that will go a long way...Get samples of everything you can. You can do this very inexpensively. Many places will just send them to you. Some places charge but the cost is minimal compared and you will amass an enormous library from which to plan your purchases of larger amounts. You will also satisfy the need to smell a wide variety frags and learn the similarities and differences in individual frags and houses.

Get the scent library from Penhaligon's. Get the wax samples from Serge Lutens. Call Robert Piguet Parfums (very generous) for free vials. That's a start.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.
    Currently wearing: Zizonia by Penhaligon's

In the spirit of the challenge, I could end up with this for approx. $100:

Bvlgari Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge, $20
    Gucci Envy, $30
    Hermès 24, Faubourg (found for $9 at Gordman's; results not typical)
    L'Or de Torrente, $20
    Yves Rocher Néonatura Cocoon, currently $20

This leaves out most of my bigger favorites, but limiting to only 1 or 2 more expensive bottles would be too frustrating.

Great question for a first post, rikoozik. Welcome! :wave:
    Sniff and let sniff.

I'd buy 6 or 7 decants of my favorites if limited to a $100 budget. I would probably get 5mL HdP Ambre 114 and GIT, 8mL Guerlain Vetiver, a small decant of MKK and a couple of others depending on how much was left of the original funds.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

These are all really interesting suggestions everyone, keep them coming

I have to admit, the reasoning behind this post came after thinking about all the money I spent in 2008 and wondering if it was possible, as a new years resolution, to only spend $100 (or less) on fragrances in 2009 (it's not ). I was really interested in seeing how others here would ration that amount of money in the way they deemed best. This is just a thought exercise of course, and I'm quite content with my current wardrobe (at the moment at least ), but I'm always interested in learning about what others (especially people here who know a lot about fragrances) would do given such constraints.

With regards to questions about decants being included in this game...hmmm. Well, I guess I left the rules very loose to try to see how creative everyone can be with their choices, and I guess decants could be part of that. That sort of messes with the constraints of the game though because you can just get decants of everything you like. I'm not going to say that a decant wardrobe is not allowed, but only that trying to do this with 30ml+ bottles would be a lot more challenging and require extra consideration and sacrifice, and hence would be a lot more interesting.

Uomo? Moschino
    YSL pour Homme
    Bowling Green (Geoffrey Beene)
    Currently wearing: Mitsouko by Guerlain

davidoff coolwater
    Sean John unforgivable
    Vera Wang
    Grey Flannel
    Perry Ellis 360 Red
    Rive Gauche

I'd have to go with decants. It's not that I don't like cheap fragrances, it's that I haven't found any cheap fragrances I like.

A guesstimate based on decant prices I've seen.

Iris Silver Mist 5ml 20$ ( my iris )
    Paestum Rose 5ml 10$ ( my light rose )
    C&S No. 88 5ml 10$ ( my heavy rose )
    Ambre Russe 5ml 10$ ( my amber )
    Fougere Bengale 5ml 10$ ( my gourmand )
    L'Eau Trois 10ml 30$ ( my incense )
    Carnal Flower 1ml 10$ ( my white floral )

I realize this is an odd combination ( no citruses, leathers, green fragrances, but two roses ), but I think I'd be happy in a pinch with this collection.

Rive Gauche 25
    Unbound 12
    Cuba red 4
    Cuba white 4
    Kouros Fraichur, Summer or Tattoo 30
    Heritage 25 (that was the cost of my bottle)
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

where can i get halston unbound retail?

I don't want to name specific fragrances since there are so many but you can compile a nice collection simply from a mix of fragrances from Marshalls or discount sites that sell fragrances like Amazon, scentiments, etc. Stores like Marshalls often get new items and heavily discount them.

Molten Gin

$100 is cruel.

If I am forced to, I would resort to tiny decants of: (probably 1.5~2ml of each)

Serge Lutens Gris Clair (my lavender of choice)
    Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist OR Divine L'homme de Couer (iris)
    Dior Bois d'Argent (incense, honey, iris -- everything I love)
    Serge Lutens Chergui (richly honeyed and exotically elegant)
    Chanel Coromadel (lovely smooth and refined patchouli + chocolate)
    Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental (let's see.. it's a vetiver oriental!)
    Serge Lutens Douce Amere (anise, absinthe)
    Guerlain Cologne du 68 (all-rounder)
    Guerlain Bois d'Armenie (perfect balsams and woods)
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille OR Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (vanilla)
    Parfumerie Generale L'oiseau de Nuit (a labdanum favorite, not too heavy)
    Parfumerie Generale Aomassai (a very special woody gourmand)
    Parfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris (leather, iris)
    Divine L'homme Sage (elegant fruits, spices, incense)
    Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe (so sumptuous!)
    Hermessence Ambre Narguile (comfort scent)
    Hermessence Vetiver Tonka (vetiver et tonka)
    L'artisan Tea for Two (honey, leather, balms, smoke)
    L'artisan Bois Farine (peanut butter!)
    Armani Prive Bois d'Encens OR Messe de Minuit (incense)

Actually, I think I just listed my wardrobe-to-be.
    Last edited by moltening; 4th January 2009 at 09:33 AM.

some of you are addicted how i see this? by buying decants, he would end up with no scents at the end of month
    IMO i would buy;
    360red
    opium
    rive gauche
    and terre d'hermes
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

I think the best use of $100 in building a wardrobe would be to go to a fragrance shop and test until you find something you really, really like and then buy . It begins and ends with you loving the fragrance and how it makes you feel to wear it - not the money you are saving. Two or three scents is plenty for a wardrobe and you can find lots of great ones in the $25 - $50 range. Check the discount sites on the net and check the "Items for Sale" here on Basenotes because you will find great fragrances offered for sale all the time here for half price from other benevolent fragrance OCD - "collectors" who are looking to lighten their load and trim their collections a bit.

A couple of good ones would be: Gucci pour Homme and Declaration Essence. But the combinations of 2-3 good fragrances for a nice wardrobe could go on and on. The really important thing is that you love the scent you have chosen and it makes you feel really good wearing it! I would much rather have 2 or 3 that I identify with and "are mine" than 5 cheap fragrances that I sort of like.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Montana Parfum d'Homme--$25
    Azzaro pour Homme--$20
    Pino Silvestre--$12
    Bogart Witness--$12
    Caldey Island Lavender--$28
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Cumming by Alan Cumming

I would take:
    kbe's Montana Parfum d'Homme--$25
    kbe's Azzaro pour Homme--$20
    irish's Heritage--$25

and add:
    Giorgio for Men--$30
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost