Code of Conduct

Default In 2008 we witnessed the return of two American Men's Classics

It could not get any better then this - granted many believe the scent is not like the originals but at least they are back!
    Last edited by scentimus; 4th January 2009 at 02:01 AM.

Default Re: In 2008 we witnessed the return of two American Men's Classics

Don't forget DK Fuel! I guess it was a better year for fragrance than many give it credit for.

Giorgio I'd definitely give a thumbs up to.

But I didn't buy Red. It smells really interesting at the start, but after about an hour it reminded me strongly of scents like Drakkar Noir and Yardley's English Blazer - which is okay, but not really unique if one has the other two (which I have).

What's your thought on the Red drydown?
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 4th January 2009 at 01:19 AM.

red makes me barf! No bueno I tried to get into it but I had to accept it wasn't for me

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Giorgio I'd definitely give a thumbs up to.

But I didn't buy Red. It smells really interesting at the start, but after about an hour it reminded me strongly of scents like Drakkar Noir and Yardley's English Blazer - which is okay, but not really unique if one has the other two (which I have).

What's your thought on the Red drydown?
    Renato

Red to me is the best that Giorgio can get! It is amazing how the down dry blends deep woody notes and amber while still keep a fresh crispness to the over all base. To me Red is more complex then the original Giorgio it contain over 200 notes but not one sticks out. In addition Red for women is an amazing spicy chypre off set by a cherry note.
    Last edited by scentimus; 4th January 2009 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Don't forget DK Fuel! I guess it was a better year for fragrance than many give it credit for.
    How is the sillage/longevity for the reissued version?

Quote Originally Posted by junkfood View Post
    How is the sillage/longevity for the reissued version?
    Haven't tried it yet but I plan on purchasing it next month. I have heard from a few people that they think it may be better than the older one, but I am not positive.

Yeah they're back and they made me yawn. Red didn't last very long but was one of those true "stinkers".

Giorgio for Men is my all-time favorite fragrance. It was my signature scent for more than twenty years. The reformulated fragrance, to me, is every bit as good as the original but I view its return as a mixed blessing.

On one hand, I have been able to restock a goodly supply of Giorgio for Men at a reasonable price.

On the other, the value of my vintage bottles has plummeted from the $300+ they once fetched.

I keep thinking that if Giorgio for Men had been reintroduced one year earlier I never would have met you folks.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

i think DK FUEL was the re-issue of the year.....even though it was probably the FIRST fragrance i ever truly fell in love with many years ago, i have NOT repurchased this reissue.......not sure why.

Where's an inexpensive place to buy these two?

Nicole Miller for Men

And shouldn't we include the other two DKs - Chaos & Black Cashmere - since these are popular with both men and women? Granted, the vintage BC is still fairly easy to acquire.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 4th January 2009 at 04:17 AM.

I've been tempted to buy Giorgio For Men blind - but I'd prefer to sample first. TPC doesn't seem to offer samples.. Would anyone know of a sample source for GFM & Red?

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    Would anyone know of a sample source for GFM & Red?
    Samples at ScentMonkey.com

Shipping policy says they ship international but you may have to order by phone.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Red to me is the best that Giorgio can get! It is amazing how the down dry blends deep woody notes and amber while still keep a fresh crispness to the over all base. To me Red is more complex then the original Giorgio it contain over 200 notes but not one sticks out. In addition Red for women is an amazing spicy chypre off set by a cherry note.
    Thanks. Obviously I'll now have to go back and re examine it.

The price for it has dropped to an inexpensive A$45 down here at the moment.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 4th January 2009 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    Where's an inexpensive place to buy these two?
    TJ Maxx, Marshall's, eBay and a host of online retailers.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Red severely disappointed me. I wore it when younger and there was this spicy, sexiness to it. In the new version I catch a tiny, scintilla of a whiff of this and the rest is fecal...in all phases
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    The price for it has dropped to an inexpensive A$45 down here at the moment.
    Renato
    Where?

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Samples at ScentMonkey.com

Shipping policy says they ship international but you may have to order by phone.
    Thanks for the info, MSc! I'll see if I can get through with Skype.