Code of Conduct

Default Wearing a white button down under a black polo for men.

Is that acceptable to where? I was wondering because I've been wanting to try it out but never had the confidence to because I am a shy dresser.

Default Re: Wearing a white button down under a black polo for men.

Button-down = less formal (than straight collar). So actually I think that would be quite suitable for the layered look you propose. Very preppy.
    But think also of grey button-down under that polo. Tone-on-tone.
    Or bold colour: rich blue, bright green, even orange or pink if you can pull it off.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Fost27 View Post
    Is that acceptable to where? I was wondering because I've been wanting to try it out but never had the confidence to because I am a shy dresser.
    Regardless of color, I think that it is a workable look. My theory is that the soft knit cotton of the polo shirt (and its soft collar) perform the function of a sweater. A commando sweater has buttons, after all.

Now, a few caveats. The polo shirt has to have enough room in it that you can comfortably wear another shirt underneath it, so this eliminates many skinny shirts. Another danger area is where the two collars overlap. Sometimes a polo shirt collar goes too high up the neck and will be too tall in relation to the other shirt. Sometimes a polo shirt's collar is not sewn into the shirt well; this may not be noticeable on its own, but compared to the other shirt's collar, one side will appear too low or the whole thing will appear off-center.

I think that a button-down sport shirt may work better than a button-down dress shirt. (A dress shirt's collar has extra stiffening material to make it work with a tie.)

The only problem with this look is if we are talking about a long-sleeved shirt under a short-sleeved shirt, which a polo usually, but not always, is. That is kind of a fashion-forward look, and I have been suspicious of it until quite recently, but I have tried it and liked it.

I was thinking of rolling up the sleeves of the button down or wearing a short sleeved button down underneath. What do you all think of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Fost27 View Post
    I was thinking of rolling up the sleeves of the button down or wearing a short sleeved button down underneath. What do you all think of that?
    I think that I have rolled the sleeves up before and it can look good. My opinion of short-sleeved dress shirts is that they are only appropriate if you are the assistant manager of a McDonald's.