Code of Conduct

Thread: Introduction

Default Introduction

I'm new here, and this is my first post. I've been lurking for the past week or so, and learning a lot!

I have four frags on my sink, and enjoy them all. Until recently, I didn't know I had:

A fougere - Paco Rabanne PH, which I bought when I read it was a 'classic'

An oriental - Burberry London, perhaps my favorite this time of year - I really like this one!

A chypre - Guerlain Vetiver, also described to me as a classic, and the one I wear the most

and a citrus? or?? - YSL PH, bought on a whim, wear only occasionally.

Wow, I feel well rounded.

Given this, what would be a logical next step in developing my collection? I don't think I care too much for floral, but maybe I haven't found a good one. A marine? I'm not sure I could identify one by smell yet.

Please give me suggestions or comments, and thanks for the great discussions I've read so far!

Default Re: Introduction

Howdy jerok, & welcome!
    You might try simply a classic EDC, to see the early point of the world of scents.
    Roger and Gallet Extra Vielle (Jean Marie Farina) is a good choice, so is Aqua di Parma. And for one with a bit "extra", try Dior's Eau Sauvage. These are all citrus, but really classy and have stood the test of time.
    The world of chypres and fougeres is huge. Armani original is a great citrus-fougere. If you like Guerlain Vetiver, try Encre Noir by Lalique. And how about a woody scent, e.g., DSquared He Wood.
    And check out incense, eg. Comme des Garcons' line.
    Oh, the places you'll go...
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Welcome Jerok, strap yourself in and get ready for the ride of your life

Nice collection to start off with as well. The directory and review section are great places to start.

Welcome Jerok! You have certainly started your fragrance journey in an intelligent way. Which of these four families felt most you? Citrus fragrances usually fall under chypre, but given the vast amount of citrus scents I suppose they could be viewed by themselves.

For new inspiration perhaps I think you should try some incense fragrances like CdG 2 Man, Hinoki or Gucci pour Homme. Another direction would be a couple of gourmand scents like A*Men, Jaipur PH and Rochas Man. All of these can easily be tracked down.
    Last edited by Noalick; 4th January 2009 at 02:10 AM.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Welcome! You may want to avoid keeping your bottles in the bathroom as the constant variation of temperature isn't too good for them.
    Last edited by coffee&pizza; 4th January 2009 at 03:56 AM.

It's really difficult to advise others, especially if they are just starting out. In my case, I've hated, then liked, then hated again. A recent example is Francesco Smalto. I enjoyed it, then came to dislike it, finding it boring and too heavy in lavender. Now I really like it again. I appreciate the herbs, the subtle anistic quality, even how the lavender smooths it out, and when it gets to the base notes, it's subdued but still interesting. As a "newbie," I got blown away by the strong "smoky" quality at first, but then it became irritating, and I didn't know how to appreciate it. It's not something I'll wear more than once every couple of weeks, but I'm glad I kept a large bottle of it.

So, you might want to do a lot of sampling; that's one approach. My approach was to buy some really inexpensive frags that got good reviews here at BN, and just keep coming back to them, to try and understand them while my sense of smell developed. Some I realized I'd never like, due to their "roughness," simplicity, or having too much of a particular note, but most have found a place in my rotation. I've also learned that many "niche" frags tend to be "unwearable" for one reason or another, and that price really doesn't mean much in the world of frags. As you go along, you can't help but compare one frag to another. One example is Barbara Bui and Kenzo Amour EdP. They are very similar. BB is too strong on the sandalwood for me, whereas KA is a bit stronger in vanilla. KA is wearable to me, but BB isn't. As a newbie, I think they would have smelled identical, but if I would have bought a full bottle of BB, I would be trying to swap it off now. So there's really no way to know these things at first, but that's what I find keeps me interested in this !

Thanks all for the kind responses!

I found that Encre Noir sounds interesting to me for starters. Now I have to find an online source...any suggestions? It's not too convenient for me to make it to B&M stores for sampling too often give the distance to well stocked stores.

And now I'll have to find a new place for my bottles out of the bathroom...thanks!

I see a lot about samplers that are available online. Is this a good way to try stuff out?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerok View Post
    Thanks all for the kind responses!

I found that Encre Noir sounds interesting to me for starters. Now I have to find an online source...any suggestions? It's not too convenient for me to make it to B&M stores for sampling too often give the distance to well stocked stores.

And now I'll have to find a new place for my bottles out of the bathroom...thanks!

I see a lot about samplers that are available online. Is this a good way to try stuff out?
    Escentual's sortiment is very good. Press here: Encre Noire.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."