Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Messe de Minuit, worth blind buy?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

10 33.33%
  • NO

15 50.00%
  • YES, but if you like scents like........... or notes like............

5 16.67%

Default Messe De Minuit, worth blind buy?

Im obsesed with this one. My last three blind buys were Paestum Rose, L Ombre dans L Eau, Rousse and Dhonzka and I ADORE all. So, after reading a lot of this "mythical" fragance, I am very curious about your reactions and opinions: worth blind buy? YES, NO... and my third option is: YES, only if you like scents like............................................. or scents with strong notes of.......................................... (you can complete it as you want)
    We accept reality easily, perhaps because we intuit that nothing is real...

Default Re: Messe De Minuit, worth blind buy?

From my experience, nothing is worth a blind buy unless you've given the fragrnce at least 3 full wearings on your skin, not a card.

JMO
    Last edited by silverbullet; 4th January 2009 at 03:09 PM.

YES, but if you like absolutely love and cannot live without scents like...CdG's Avignon and C&S's Frankincense & Myrrh... or notes like...Labdanum and Myrrh....
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I voted yes without the if yous. Live life large, I tell you. The photographer would. Take a shot and try the stuff out. I wager you'll like it, and if you don't you'll like yourself for taking a stab and you'll like the Basenotes swap board.

Full speed ahead!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution

No.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    No.
    Grrrrr. Mike is on the BAD list.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Grrrrr. Mike is on the BAD list.
    LOL! I say go for it. I haven't tried it, but you shouldn't have a prob selling/swapping it.

I'm a big incense fan, but this is not one of my favs. I voted no.

This is quite a bold frag with a distinct 'goth' vibe to it. I love it too, I say go for it! This one is worth obsessing over

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I conditionally say no. I have it and love it, but I have to admit, I rarely wear it. The best way I can describe it is if someone took a bottle of Eau d'Hermes and added some Frankinsence. Distinct and odd, but it falls into the novelty classic category rather than the just classic.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 4th January 2009 at 06:26 PM.

It's one of my soulmate scents and I could never be without a bottle of it, so YES.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I've had a small sample of it for a few years..it's certainly "unique".
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I haven't voted, as I think it's very worth buying, but definitely not "blind". It's so individual, it's sure to elicit strong responses either way. Try to locate a sample first and wear it a couple of times.
    I only have a decant and only wear it when alone.(I think it might spook regular people).

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    YES, but if you like absolutely love and cannot live without scents like...CdG's Avignon and C&S's Frankincense & Myrrh... or notes like...Labdanum and Myrrh....
    ill Echo wht Two Roads suggested...if incense fragrance is your type, then this should keep you busy. my personal opinion however is...if cud "afford" it, buy it, it's a unique frgrance..if u can't, thn u should go for a 5ml decant and see if this is something having 100 ml of...coz incense frags (imho) hardly get regular wears....(i love my incense mind you but, i prefer a typical style)...

EDIT: i see that you have Passage d'Enfer, Mandragore & Gris Clair....if you enjoy these scents then i feel MdM will find home in your collection. This coz of your taste for unique scents, no resembalance in smell.
    Last edited by jenson; 5th January 2009 at 10:45 AM.

It's a lovely scent but I remember there being something weird in the drydown, like an out of place anise note that comes on very strong after six hours or so and which at the time seemed like an odd match with incense. Someone will be able to name the note I'm (almost) remembering. It may well be that I didn't give Messe de Minuit the time it needed to grow on me but I didn't love it.

Absolutely yes. Do it.

I`m not a fan of it myself for reasons that don`t need to be elaborated here, but I have a huge hunch that you will love this one. You said you`ve created an obsession towards this one, and in my opinion Messe de Minuit is definitely one fragrance which can satisfy the big expectations.

I voted yes, because you can always and everywhere use it as a roomspray.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Post Re: Messe De Minuit, worth blind buy?

Nope!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

This was one of the first niche scents I tried when I first started hunting out niche scents. My recollection of it was that it didn't have much by way of lasting power, and seemed a tad more like a feminine scent to me - which left me scratching my head as to why it was so loved here at the time.

Worth a blind buy if you can find it cheap somewhere, else consider waiting till you can test it.

The trick with successful blind buys is to spot someone on the board who seems to share your fragrance preferences 80 or 90% of the time, then either read his opinion if he's posted one, or PM him and ask him whether he likes it or not.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    My recollection of it was that it didn't have much by way of lasting power
    On me it lasts well into the next day, which is quite remakable for an EdC.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

No test it.
    The problem with blind buying Messe de Minuit is not that it is a bad scent - it is very nice indeed. But it is slightly miscategorized in my opinion. I don't think of it as a dark incense fragrance at all. But, it has a reputation for being a dark, stoney incense fragrance and that is not what it is like at all. It is lightly warm vanilla/amber with a bit of myrhh to add outdoors at night quality. It doesn't smell like any of the other incense fragrances (Avignon, Kyoto, Frankincense & Myrrh or Passage d' Enfer) at all. So when people buy MdM because they love incense they are inevitably disappointed with its lack of dark stoney incenseness.

I say nay -- try before you buy if paying retail. If you can get it for cheaper, go ahead and pull the trigger.

Blog Entries

Based on the four you listed, it might be a safe blind buy for you. If by "mythical" you mean something out there, then it might be safer than Dzhongka.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed View Post
    I voted yes, because you can always and everywhere use it as a roomspray.
    That's evil

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    No test it.
    The problem with blind buying Messe de Minuit is not that it is a bad scent - it is very nice indeed. But it is slightly miscategorized in my opinion. I don't think of it as a dark incense fragrance at all. But, it has a reputation for being a dark, stoney incense fragrance and that is not what it is like at all. It is lightly warm vanilla/amber with a bit of myrhh to add outdoors at night quality. It doesn't smell like any of the other incense fragrances (Avignon, Kyoto, Frankincense & Myrrh or Passage d' Enfer) at all. So when people buy MdM because they love incense they are inevitably disappointed with its lack of dark stoney incenseness.
    Buzzlepuff seems exactly right to me. Heed the warning of Buzzlepuff.