Code of Conduct

Default Floris Vetiver - Untimely demise of Floris's magnus opus

It is with deep regret that I would like to inform you of the untimely demise of the venerable Floris Vetiver.

In response to the thread below "They Can't DISCONTINUE this!!! Are They Out Of Their Minds? "

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...floris+vetiver

Floris have confirmed this to be true. Yes they can discontinue it & yes they must be out of their minds.

I guess business comes before the art of pefumery, only the lord knows what will become of this house!

Floris are currently selling this fragrance at 50% of the RRP.
    Last edited by magnnum; 4th January 2009 at 08:16 PM.

Default Re: Floris Vetiver - Untimely demise of Floris's magnus opus

Such a deep and wonderful scent. A low bass resonant vetiver--dark and Edwardian. None of the at-play-in-the-grass-and-frolicking-in-the-haystacks usual vetiver. (I really like the latter too.)
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Where is the 50% discount from? Their London site?

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Where is the 50% discount from? Their London site?
    There are very few stockists, but the ones I know of are:

Floris (Jermyn Street + mail order service)

Harrods

Harrods has it at the excellent price of Ģ22.75 for a 100ml bottle!

Unfortunately, I got this message when I tried to checkout:

Product "Vetiver EDT ( 100ml )" cannot be exported.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 4th January 2009 at 06:36 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

I just checked the Floris site and Vetiver is available in 100ml for $95.00 and free shipping. It doesn't appear to be 50% off and I don't see it mentioned as clearance.

It's still full price over here in the US, but there are some still available for $95 as was perviously mentioned. It has been discontinued though, along with the men's carnation one whose name escapes me at the moment - it starts with an "M". I like Floris Vetiver, but haven't ever felt quite compelled to purchase it.

Malmaison. That's the carnation one. It's incorrectly listed in the directory as feminine, but Floris created for men. Maybe that gender confusion was widespread and helped lead to its demise. Who knows. Carnation fragrances usually take some warming up to for most people I think.
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 4th January 2009 at 07:00 PM.

Floris won't ship from London to the US because of shipping restrictions with perfumes, but you can still buy it from their US supplier , shoplondons.com

Also, LusciousCargo still carries it.

Not long after this thread I bought a bottle from a fellow BNer. I have a weird relationship with vetiver fragrances... I like vetiver but it has to be just right. If it's too strong I get a weird allergic reaction which causes my eyes to water, as though it was an onion. This happens with Vetiver Extraordinaire and Parfumerie Generale Querelle. I also don't like too much mixed with my vetiver, like citrus. Guerlain Vetiver is ok (I own it), but I almost don't classify it as a vetiver-centric fragrance the way others are.

I literally tried DOZENS of vetivers, and ultimately Floris was the one that I liked best. Chanel Sycomore was equally good, but too much money for what I knew would be an occasional wear. I gave Givenchy serious consideration, but ultimately the Floris won out. I love it because the vetiver is distinct without being too sharp, and the green and woody notes that accompany the vetiver really enhance the vetiver note, which itself has a very earthy feel to it. I almost feel like I'm smelling a forest when I'm wearing it.

As mentioned above, Floris Vetiver was discontinued in January, so if you were thinking about checking it out, do so before stocks are depleted. It's still in stock at most sites in the US that carries Floris. I'm very tempted to grab a backup bottle.

Just a note for the UK'ers. It's still full price on the London website, but it's also absent from their latest catalogue, so I would imagine they would only discount it if the stocks were on their last knockings and they wanted to get rid of them. Hope? Dunno.

shopLondons.com has them for 40% off.

Thanks, Tony.... I'm becoming a vetiver junkie, bit by bit, and Floris is my favorite. It manages to be earthy and rooty, yet classy and distinguished. I don't know if I needed two more bottles, but they're on the way.

Regards,
    T

Thanks for the heads up! Shoplondons is still offering this for 40% off, and we'll see if they have the stock to fill my order.

Do you guys think this will pick up value?

What a shame! A wonderful fragrance to be sure, I too am temped to get a backup bottle.

yes they did this horrible crime !!! and I have emailed them to to tell them so !!
    Invisible Power

Safe blind buy for vetiver lovers?

Definitely a safe buy for vetiver fans... I'd say it's closest to Givenchy Vetyver. It may pick up a few bucks value in a few years from now, but generally Floris fragrances, even discontinued ones, aren't big money makers at all. I picked up an obscure, discontinued Floris fragrance a while ago for $35, and I've never seen it on eBay before or since. Because it's so widely available now, and at a discount, I can't imagine there being any big drive to find it down the road.

Great news! Especially since I really liked Givenchy's but can't seem to find it anywhere.

(scampers off to place an order)

Amongst the vetivers I have in my wardrobe ,Guerlain, Encre Noire and Vetiver Extraordinaire this is the one I love and wear most.

About the discontinuing , I hear it for a the last two, three years now, yet itīs still available on the Floris website. And I hope it will be in future, itīs a beauty.

Ordered. Thanks for the heads-up!

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Ordered. Thanks for the heads-up!
    No problem!

I caved in and bought this one last night! I just received my Floris "Scent Library" from shoplondons.com the other day and was trying on Vetiver when I saw this thread about it being discontinued. I like it quite a lot, but I'm still a newbie to vetiver so I can't compare it to many other fragrances.

The Floris sampler on their website is a great value, by the way, if anyone wants to check out their other fragrances. Fourteen carded manufacturer's samples (2ml) in a nice Floris box for $20.

In case anyone was wondering whether it actually is discontinued, I received an email from Floris telling me it was, and on the shoplondon.com site it states "discontinued - sale" (30%, not 40% off btw). Darn, I think I may cave and buy another....

Does anyone know where to get Malmaison? Sounds interesting and I'm starting to really appreciate carnation fragrances.

They actually do claim 40% off, and the price I was charged does seem to reflect that. (unless their 'regular' price was bogus to begin with)

Basenotes Institution

Does anyone know where to get Malmaison? Sounds interesting and I'm starting to really appreciate carnation fragrances.
    Doesn't the same site that has Vetiver have Malmaison? I swear I saw it this morning.

I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Doesn't the same site that has Vetiver have Malmaison? I swear I saw it this morning.
    They have it under the men's Floris section, but it's listed as discontinued and not for sale. Not sure why it's there other than to tease people.

Received my bottle of Floris Vetiver today. Very nice packaging.

I am surprised by the smell, in that it bears a very unexpected (if slight) similarity to, of all things, Knize Ten, in the drydown.

...and I didn't think anything smelled like Knize Ten.

Anyone else notice this similarity?
    Last edited by andylama; 1st April 2009 at 05:56 AM.

Blog Entries

I have tried Malmaison. It is a sweet strong carnation, quite powdery as I recall. I didn't love it.

I don't see any resemblance to Knize, though I'd be curious where you find this similarity. The more I played with my Floris Vetiver the more I realize I like it because the vetiver note isn't sour, but rather woody and clean. I also like the bits of sandalwood in the background. I'm sure it's cheap sandalwood (if it's even real at all), but regardless I like the accord. I tested it against Goutal Vetiver and TDC Sel de Vetiver and remembered why I chose the Floris. Sycomore is the only other one I really like.

( Not to derail the Vetiver talk, but... )

I tried Mailmaison a while back. Sweet, fairly one-dimensional carnation mixed with a strong black tea note. Not bad, but doesn't live up to the interesting potential of a tea and carnation fragrance.

I don't see any resemblance to Knize, though I'd be curious where you find this similarity.
    Spray Knize Ten on a piece of cardstock and let sit overnight (or six months--makes no difference--KT is nuclear tenacious!)

Then spray Floris Vetiver on another piece of cardstock and let it sit for 2 or 3 hours.

Compare.

Not 'samey', but I detect a common note, but I'm hard-pressed to say exactly what it is. It's not the vetiver itself, as far as I can tell.

Most unexpected.
    Last edited by andylama; 1st April 2009 at 08:32 AM.

I'll spray a blotter with Knize and check tomorrow am. Perhaps there is some overlap in the woody notes.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Received my bottle of Floris Vetiver today. Very nice packaging.

I am surprised by the smell, in that it bears a very unexpected (if slight) similarity to, of all things, Knize Ten, in the drydown.

...and I didn't think anything smelled like Knize Ten.

Anyone else notice this similarity?
    I received my bottle as well and I agree about the packaging. It's a very classy bottle with a box that complements it.

Did it remind you at all of the Chanel Sycomore or Givenchy? I've never smelled Knize Ten, so I can't say anything about that.

I find it's vetiver note closest to Sycomore and Givenchy, and not like the vetiver notes in Goutal, TDC, Malle, or Etro. I find some vetiver notes sour and too bitter - I like the vetivers that are sharp and bright.

This thread alerted me to this wonderful scent. I was in London, and priortized a visit to the Floris shop specifically to check out Vetiver. Shops in the UK like John Lewis which carry the Floris line don't have any stock of Vetiver left. Thankfully, there were several bottles on display at the Jermyn Street shop. I've posted a review, here it is:

Bergamot, lavender, lemon
    Cinnamon, clove, coriander, geranium, vetiver
    Amber, frankincense, patchouli, sandalwood, cedarwood, tonka bean
    This is a superb, classy scent. It is a crime that this gem is being discontinued. The opening is rich with plummy-aromatic bergamot, freshened by citrus and the merest whiff of lavender. Vetiver quickly appears, along with lovely warm spice notes. These two elements combine in a most pleasing way. The vetiver is very well done: dry, grassy-woody, typically tangy. It is not heavy and soapy as in Guerlain. Then, great wood notes appear: sandalwood and its usual friend, cedarwood. The sandalwood is very natural and enjoyable. This is a complex scent – more than simply vetiver, I’d call it a woody-spicy vetiver. It has depth and endless charms as it drys down. The vetiver and spices provide a comforting yet also invigorating tone. I like to think that the frankincense adds a subtle green note. This has my highest endorsement!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

If Floris Vetiver is supposed to be discontinued, then why does this page exist on the Floris website?

Vetiver / Floris

It's there as part of a Floris for Men Classic Collection.
    Jan Pieter

Quote Originally Posted by jpkunst View Post
    If Floris Vetiver is supposed to be discontinued, then why does this page exist on the Floris website?

Vetiver / Floris

It's there as part of a Floris for Men Classic Collection.
    I spoke with a Floris SA awhile ago & I was advised that the fragrance will gradually be phased out.