Code of Conduct

Question bulgari black versus roberto cavalli black

My birthday is coming up in a few weeks and my girlfriend is going to purchase me a "black" fragrance-she said that bulgari black is a unisex fragrance(i havent smelled this or cavalli black as yet)basically i have to choose one of these fragrances for her to purchase for my upcoming birthday-and to be honest with fellow basenoters i dont know which one to give her the nod too-which one of these would you choose? many thanks.

Default Re: bulgari black versus roberto cavalli black

I would choose Cavalli Black
    (the rest of Basenotes will choose Bvlgari Black)
    Last edited by brianroy; 5th January 2009 at 11:18 AM.
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Bulgari Black for me.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I have both and just wore the Cavalli Black about 2 weeks ago. It reminded me of Bvlgari Black, but of a lighter version of it. Due to the BKK heat, I choose Cavalli Black as it's subtle but long lasting.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Cavalli Black doesn't smell like I rubbed myself on a bike tire after taking a vanilla bath.

Cavalli is more wearable and versatile so I would choose it. Bulgari is more complex but also harder to wear. I have both and wear Cavalli much more often.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Overcome By Fumes

Bulgari BLACK! Cavalli Blech.

Go with Cavalli...for the same reason most everyone else mentioned...easier to wear, not so strange like the Bulgari. However, I think the Cavalli is not a real 'black' frag...nothing about it is black. So if you want something really dark that conjures images of the color black go with Bulgari.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Sur la Plage

Bulgari Black
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Cavalli Black doesn't smell like I rubbed myself on a bike tire after taking a vanilla bath.
    Never tried Cavalli Black, but I concur with your choice of words for Bvlgari Black :wave: ...and not just because they're funny .

Quote Originally Posted by wirral guy View Post
    My birthday is coming up in a few weeks and my girlfriend is going to purchase me a "black" fragrance-she said that bulgari black is a unisex fragrance(i havent smelled this or cavalli black as yet)basically i have to choose one of these fragrances for her to purchase for my upcoming birthday-and to be honest with fellow basenoters i dont know which one to give her the nod too-which one of these would you choose? many thanks.
    Well, I'm not sure its a safe blind buy, but the Bvlgari is by far the more interesting fragrance of the two. The Cavalli is a pretty good representation of a genre - dark, spicy notes atop a vanilla/amber base. Its a theme that has been done many times, and better at times (see Costume National, Serge Lutens, and especially Tauer). But it's also been done a lot worse. The Cavalli is a nice fragrance, and my wife finds it "pretty nice." I end up wearing it about once per month, usually when we go out to dinner.
    The Bvlgari was game changing in its day. The soft rubber note is so unexpectedly sexy and intriguing that it really took the perfume world by surprise when it was launched. It was a very unique take on sexy, while still being unisex. By now the whole industrial / anti-perfume formula has been done and perfected (see Comme des Garcons), and the fragrance itself seems even a little quaint by this point. Its sort of like listening to early rap music, when they thought they were so hardcore, but now sound a little cartoonish. Don't get me wrong, I think Bvlgari Black is a masterpiece and those beautiful top notes never fail to make me smile. I thinks its a fragrance that everyone interested in perfume should be test a few times. But if I had to recommend a blind buy, it would not be my first choice.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits