Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Friday 9 January

Good morning!

After several lovely crisp days there was a heavy snow last night and now the temperature has risen to zero so it looks like it's going to be a grey sloshfest now.

Caron N'Aimez Que Moi to feel rosy despite of the weather.

Have a fab Friday!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Friday 9 January

Good morning tigs & Basenoters :wave:

After so much snow, we have almost clear skies but it's ice cold! I've got to be watching my step....

Today it's the discontinued Parfumerie Générale

Marilyn & John

Such a pity it's not available any more
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

^ Great choice

I'm in Burberry London today.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Good morning everybody Today I have an appointment with the co-ordinator for the subject I'm studying.Later I'll meet a friend over a cup of coffee. Coco edp seems like the perfect scent for today.Have a great day all!

Les Nuits d'Hadrien is stimulating my senses this morning.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Ma Griffe...an unsniffed buy. I love the squeeky clean green opening. But the drydown is uneventful. I am just hoping against hope that it is going to develop into anything other than super soapy on me.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

SotD : Mandragore - Annick Goutal

SotE : Resort - Etro

Thumbs up Re: SotD Friday 9 January

D i o r H o m m e

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Good morning to all
    I'm in Iris Nobile Edp
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

Happy Friday all! 31 RUE CAMBON for me today

I'm in SJP Lovely. Lightly sweet scents of lots and lots of white flowers, it reminds me of something I had smell before but can't remember what?!

Have a great weekend all.

Aoud break with Voleurs de Roses
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Goutal Mandragore

And why not Annake's Miyako for tonight?
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Aoud Lime, third testing.....still soapy, strong medicinal. Maybe it is the way Montale uses aoud, maybe it is just not the kind of note I can handle, sadly.

I am going back to my beautiful Miyako from Annayaké
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Armani Night She.
    Crayfish' alphabetical project inspired me to pull out some of the forgotten pre-Basenotes purchases. This one is very nice still! It has that Armani signature style that I've once read described as "brushed steel" - very good description. It's the only fragrance I've ever replaced once it was gone, and then halfway the second bottle I fell out of love. I poo-pooed it for a while, but it will have a place in my rotation again now. Almost drained, though.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Still bitterly cold here with snow on the ground. I have a dentist's appointment later this afternoon, so have to be a bit careful what I wear. I'm going with Serge Luten's Rousse: warm cinnamon will hit the spot I think, but it's not so outre that it will scare Frau Doktor Sanchez while she's finishing my root canal. My consolation is that now the roots are gone I shouldn't feel anything while the lady with the wrists of steel wrestles with my molar. (Was that TMI? I'm trying not to over-share.)

Have a lovely Friday y'all.
    x
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Still bitterly cold here with snow on the ground. I have a dentist's appointment later this afternoon, so have to be a bit careful what I wear. I'm going with Serge Luten's Rousse: warm cinnamon will hit the spot I think, but it's not so outre that it will scare Frau Doktor Sanchez while she's finishing my root canal. My consolation is that now the roots are gone I shouldn't feel anything while the lady with the wrists of steel wrestles with my molar. (Was that TMI? I'm trying not to over-share.)

Have a lovely Friday y'all.
    x
    If the roots are gone so are the nerves in your teeth, you still have gums that can feel but there shouldn´t be any pain when she works on the teeth. Just ask for drugs if you are worried. I would

Also, horrible dentist appointments deserve a perfume reward. Did you know that? You owe yourself a new bottle
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Basenotes Plus

Creed Royal English Leather

Happy Friday, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

10 degrees celsius here! >< freezing cold and my nose is still blocked.
    Fracas is the only thing I can wear or smell

Attrape Coeur .... AGAIN!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Day 4 of my Chanel-athon: today it's 28 La Pausa.

A heart-breakingly lovely iris, perhaps the gentlest of them all, with an almost imperceptible dab of leather -- think Kelly Caleche proportions, diminished by 50. Utterly delicate, restrained and elegant. Criminally short-lived. The epitome of chic, taste and classic 'femininity'. Very beautiful indeed.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

It's a bummer of a day ... my husband lost his job after 18 years there. I pulled out one of my "happy scents" Coney Island.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Oh, god, shadesofbleu, I just spotted your message. How awful for you and your DH. I am very sorry; I'm enraged by how so many people are suffering at the moment. Hope things work out without too much struggle for you both. Good luck, hope your perfume lifts your spirits a little.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

shades my sympathy goes out to you. This economy is going to take a toll on all of us sooner or later. I'm sorry its sooner for your husband.
    For the first non-ice filled morning this week I am wearing another new one:

Jil Sander Scent 79 Man

I tried this before the holidays and really liked it when I wrist tested it and the SA gave me a sample to try. Giving it a full wear I'm still liking it but I don't think I'm going to love it. The start is sage and incense which comes in a little depper than a typical top but still it gives way to the best part of this scent which is the floral heart. The heart is a mix of jasmine and violet where the sweet of the jasmine and the tart of the violet intertwine really nicely. The only drawback here is the heart of this is fleeting and fast on me lasting for only a short while. The base is leather and vetiver with some sandalwood and is a nice grounding after the heart. This is one which definitely wears close to my skin and looks like it will have longevity issues, as well. This is a well-made scent and it is interesting and I feel like I should like it more, because of all of that, but I don't.

Have a Great Friday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

shadesofbleu, chin up my dear. I'm sorry to hear that news.

A La Nuit by Serge Lutens

Shadesofbleu, sorry to hear the news. Hopefully this economy will turn around soon. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.
    Wordbird, good luck with the woman with the wrists of steel.

Today I'm still playing with the AL samples. Today it's Ambre Tibet. A little sweet, but less so on my skin than in the bottle so this could work. It's lasting longer on me than some of the others I've sampled this week. Most important - it smells nice. I like this one.Maybe when I get home I'll try the Ambre Essence and compare.

As a non perfume related aside, I would kill for a second cup of coffee. I take it with vanilla creamer that is probably best classified as a NON-Food Product, and a half tbsn of sugar. But I gained 20 pounds over the holidays ( I started before Thanksgiving and kept going until the second.) I don't have the points (calories for those of you who don't do ww.) 18 pounds to get back to goal weight. 25 to be really as thin as I could stand to be. (When I get below 125 I start looking bony in some places and too padded in others.

Well that was a non-fragrance related tangent. If I'd had a second cup I'd have been drinking it instead of typing.

I wonder if typing burns calories.

Basenotes Plus

Shannon, I'm so sorry. Hope things turn around quickly for you and your husband.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

(((((Shadesofbleu))))) Oh, sweetie, how rotten. Hold your DH close, and bolster each other -- and know you've got an international cheerleading squad behind both of you. We are also fully prepared to converge on any potential employer's office with atomizers of our favorite perfumes set to "stun," thus ensuring your wonderful husband not only gets whatever new job he wants, but becomes instant close friends with the Human Resources person doing the hiring, for reasons s/he never quite understands.

I am sharing the house with Wordbird and Ubuandibeme, having decided that if this cold is going to be so damn persistent, I am going to take horrid adantage of it: I'm wearing Serge Lutens Borneo 1834... to work. I figure a few well placed comments about trying to combat this nasty illness with everything from cocoa to Vick's Vapo-Rub will get me complete immunity from anyone who doesn't appreciate my fragrance choice today.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

NOT a happy day here on BN...job layoffs...tooth dentists...poundage. Are we not blessed in having our frags for comfort and a site on which to share!!

Supportive energy streaming to all...underpinned by the lamented Tink's "happy scent"...Fantasia de Fleurs.

GOSH I miss her.....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Shadesofblue, what terrible news! I hope things get better for you soon. This crisis can't last much longer!

It's snowed overnight but snow hasn't set. A Coromandel day (so cozy)

Basenotes Institution

More Opium for me !
    I am sending big hugs and strength to everyone who is having a bummer of a day. Take care, all !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 9th January 2009 at 01:24 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sur la Plage

Thierry Mugler B*Men

Top Notes: Fruit notes, Rhubarb
    Middle Notes: Sequoia, Spicy notes
    Base Notes: Amber, Vetiver

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

OMG, for a minute there, I thought that ad for B-Men was Grace Jones!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    It's a bummer of a day ... my husband lost his job after 18 years there. I pulled out one of my "happy scents" Coney Island.
    Hi Shadesofbleu, tomorrow will be another day and better, i am sure .
    I really wish i could do anything for you and for all the others in the same situation...All the best my friend...
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Shadesofbleu, how horriible and traumatic So many are wondering if the same will happen to them, including me. This economic situation is so stifling. I hope you and all the others in this situation can find at least a small ray of hope, and maybe even a good side to what is happening.

I may need a happy scent to day too...although I have been fighting a sinus headache for days now (could be the start of a cold). Will post again later.

Looks like a bummer day but I am very hopeful that we will start to see things turning around in the next few months. By the way, my husband has been looking for work now for about 4 months and nothing yet.

Wearing Narciso Rodriguez for Her from a sample rtamara sent me a while back.

Good morning, fragrant friends!

Shadesofbleu and Anamari--I hope things turn around soon.

The day has started slowly for me--sore throat, start of a cold....

I'm curled up with a wonderful book (A Scented palace by Elisabeth de Feydeau--about Marie Antoinette's perfumer). I'm so far unscented but thinking about Winter Star which seems to be chicken soup, prozac, a warm blanket, and badabadabing, all in one bottle!

Taking a break from heavy ambers and spice...........Stella in 2 w/amber (okay, amber again, but it's light).
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Shannon, darling...
    I'm so sorry for you both.

So many of us are very close to the edge- merely a flip of the coin.
    All thoughts with you.

My ailing peeps- may you heal up !
    I'm busy nursing DH- he NEEDS to go to the doctor, dammit !
    Let's see if I can drag his sad butt there today.

I smell warmly lovely, IMHO.
    Kenzo Le Parfum, with Histoire's Blanc Violette to amp up the rice note and musky vanillic -ness.
    The touch of gaiacwood in the Kenzo prevents it from cloying- adds an incensey feel without drying the base out too much...

Went to bed in Bellodgia edp, last night.
    God, I love this !
    But I realize that it's probably 'too much' and polarizing for work use.
    Too bad, hmmm? Too spicy, blatantly rosy / carnation...just waiting for complaints in the workplace.
    [OK, I'm trying to convince myself NOT to inflict it on my folks at work, this w/e, LOL !]

Shadesofbleu: I am so sorry. What a blow for your husband. Even though one understands that it is the economy, one cannot help but take it personally. Talk and support: we've got plenty here for you.

I am wearing Musc Maori, cooking a big pot of chicken soup, and will be hosting a work-related retreat at my apartment this afternoon.

Tenaz by Daniel de Fasson

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Decided SotD is Chanel Egoiste. It has been a long time since I wore it, and it seems perfect for a cool day when comfort and warmth is needed.

Starting my day in Misuki. A lovely oriental.

Sorry about your DH Shades, how awful for you.

As for Wordbird's root canal, I feel for you. Nothing could convince me that it would be painless, but it was!
    I whipped my self into anxiety for no reason at all.

Isabela Capeto today:

Notes from NST: cedar, vetiver, sandalwood, osmanthus, Brazilian marshland lily, black plum, opoponax, black and pink pepper, cinnamon and cardamom. So far, I'm only getting cedar & pepper, which is killing the yen to have that bottle.
    Shades and anamari, very sorry to hear about the job situations.
    Last edited by tang; 9th January 2009 at 07:58 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

(((((Shadesofbleu))))) I am so sorry. I hope Mr. Shadesofblue finds something he likes even better very soon.

I'm wearing a scent Yosh Han made for me. I never got around to giving it a name.

Hugs to Shadesofbleu....."bummer of a day" is an understatement I am so sorry for you and your husband.

SotE: Ambre Sultan for warmth in these cold days.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Basenotes Institution

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

A big hug to Shannon & her sweet husband
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mary Kay • TAMERISK

Thanks, SirSlarty

Smile Re: SotD Friday 9 January

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    If the roots are gone so are the nerves in your teeth, you still have gums that can feel but there shouldn´t be any pain when she works on the teeth. Just ask for drugs if you are worried. I would

Also, horrible dentist appointments deserve a perfume reward. Did you know that? You owe yourself a new bottle
    Yes, dentists appointments, mammograms (we smash because we care!), Pap smears, standing in line at the Department of Motor Vehicles...all tasks that warrant a new bottle of perfume!! There are rules to be followed, people!!

Today I am continuing to test, AND LOVE, Ayala Moriel fragrances. Of the 8 samples I ordered, ALL are keepers and FBW! I think that must be a record for me, for a particular line!

I'm in Film Noir. Dark dark (we're talking 98% Cacao) chocolate, patchouli, myrrh. Rich and gorgeous.
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 9th January 2009 at 05:47 PM.

shadesofbleu, I'm so sorry! I hope things turn around for your husband (and yours too, anamari) soon.

I'm usually not a fan of fruity fragrances, but felt like something boozy-fruity today. I'm wearing Delices de Cartier eau de parfum. It's actually more liquer-fruity...very sweet. I enjoy this much more about an hour into it, when it mellows into the skin.

Eep. My best wishes for everyone having a lousy day.

Alphabetical Wardrobe Day Three: Black Tea accord, by CB I Hate Perfume.

Since I know it's supposed to be tea, my brain can easily manufacture a "tea with lemon" response to it. But like almost every other tea perfume I've ever had, it doesn't actually smell like _tea_. Something tangy, something darker, all the right categories are there, but the unique smell of tea isn't.

I'm guessing that tea is one of those scents that can't be distilled and can't be fully produced synthetically, so that there's a "perfume tea note" that isn't precisely tea?

But it's very nice, and I'm sure that it will be very nice layered with other things. I'll be wearing it. It just doesn't end the (impossible?) quest for "real tea" smell.

Crayfish

shadesofblue, I am so sorry for your situation. This is the time when one needs family and friends to be very supportive. You have a nice set of friends here at Basenotes. Give each other hugs. Things will turn around soon. Best wishes.

Anamarie. I hope your husband gets a great job opportunity soon.

To all BNers that are not feeling well, stay warm and positive. This shall pass

Shadesofblue, I am sending good vibes your way. That really, really stinks!

SOTD is Dzing!

From Armani's Prive Line.....Vetiver Babylone.
    Gary

Afternoon change-up to Keiko Mecheri's Patchoulissime

I am so sorry to hear news of job losses. Shades and Anamari, I hope your husbands find good work soon!

I will get out my sample of BEYOND LOVE to try again today.

I'm so sorry to hear of your rotten news, shadesofbleu That's so nasty.

Another Serge Lutens here today, I'm in Ambre Sultan along with Riannon.

Wordbird: I've been avoiding going to the dentist (and all I have is a chipped tooth! Nothing like your extensive root canal work)... I really, really, really don't like going to the dentists. I'm going to ask about sedation. They'll have to knock me out.

shadesofblue - what terrible news for you both. Take care of one another.

Good luck with everything.

Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental from a sample, thanks to a very nice Basenoter