Code of Conduct

Default Is Norell safe blind buy?

Happy New Year to all!

Searching scents for my wife i found Norell in parfum extrait very cheap,she wears scents like Ava Luxe Love's True Bluish Light, and No23,No19,Apres l' Ondee,Cashmere Mist,i profumi talco delicato,she don't like heavy scents, so is Norell safe blind buy?

Cheers,
    Giannis

Default Re: Is Norell safe blind buy?

Quote Originally Posted by giannis View Post
    Happy New Year to all!

Searching scents for my wife i found Norell in parfum extrait very cheap,she wears scents like Ava Luxe Love's True Bluish Light, and No23,No19,Apres l' Ondee,Cashmere Mist,i profumi talco delicato,she don't like heavy scents, so is Norell safe blind buy?

Cheers,
    Giannis
    In my opinion and my experience...probably not.

I love Norell...on me a beautiful greenl floral oriental with class and distinction and a LOTTA presence...very eighties. It's hard to find on this side of the pond and I would definitely not put it in the same league as your wife's preferences which are much lighter in effect.

But you are a true and wonderful husband for checking it out!

And P.S. ... a suggestion? Read the reviews in The Directory here before you make a decision.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Thank you for the help!
    Always i read the reviews but in the particular scent was only two...
    So maybe must avoid Norell.

My mother wore Norell back in the 70's, and it was a gorgeous, rich, green/floral fragrance on her. But I think it's been changed (not for the better). In my opinion, though, no blind buy is a safe buy.

My wife's age is 35 yrs old,i suppose that Norell smells a little <old lady> or am i wrong?

Thumbs up Re: Is Norell safe blind buy?

No Giannis, no....NORELL has no age...the good perfumes have no age....they are wearable for every age...
    I can see Faye Dunaway, Kate Winslet or Lauren Bacall wearing NORELL.
    I also could wear it without any problem
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Do you ever tried it Humberto?

I try to <introduce>. my wife into the magic world of niche and <unknown>scents but she is very strange,i must try very hard to persuate her to wear my blind buys

For example her opinion for L' Heure Bleue edp is that is too strong for work office and only for very cold weather
    Last edited by giannis; 5th January 2009 at 02:09 PM.

WOW....IMO you should try some perfumes by Annick Goutal, like FOLAVRIL, EAU D' HADRIEN, EAU DU SUD, etc...I think she will like these ones....
    And EdT of L'HEURE BLEUE ? This is softer than EdP. I use ti wear EdP ....
    I like NORELL, it is an green/oriental perfume, very good and wearable.If your wife does not like it you will wear it...
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Perfumes

I will check about Folavril,as i know is Tigrushka's favorite..
    L' Hadrien and Eau Sud are citrousy and she don't likes these..
    Last edited by giannis; 5th January 2009 at 03:01 PM.

Well...as far as Norell being "old lady", that's a controversial issue on fragrance boards. My mother was around 35 when she wore it. I honestly don't think it would be to the taste of most 35-year-old women today, unless they're particularly interested in vintage fragrances, or learning about fragrances in Norell's genre. My mother probably wouldn't choose it today. Most of us move on. I'm interested in all kinds of fragrances but the ones I reach for most consistently are friendly, contemporary, easy to wear. I rarely wear my vintage fragrances. I keep them for nostalgic moments.

My husband also dislikes heavy fragrances and citrussy fragrances. When he was shopping for my Christmas fragrance (No. 5 Eau Premiere, which I had asked for - not his choice), he also brought back a couple of scent cards of frags that he liked: Bulgari Voile de Jasmin and The One by Dolce & Gabbana. It was interesting to me to see what fragrances he selected, not what I shoved under his nose and asked about. Perhaps your wife's and my husband's tastes are similiar in feminine fragrances? I think the Annick Goutal line is a good recommendation. Also maybe try a few Jo Malones if they are available near you?

Yes,there is a Jo Malone shop at the centre of Athens but i want to buy for her scents these are not available in Greece and very unique..

Quote Originally Posted by giannis View Post
    Yes,there is a Jo Malone shop at the centre of Athens but i want to buy for her scents these are not available in Greece and very unique..
    Ah...I see. I don't know what is and is not available in Greece, but I agree with Taolady - you are a gem for going to so much trouble to find your wife a special fragrance. Good luck, hope you find a winner!

I agree that Norell isn't a safe buy except for someone interested in vintage scents and chypres. It's a nice scent--a bold green-floral chypre with a spicy drydown--but I personally found it to have a soapiness that I often smell in older chypres which didn't work for me. It's also much heavier than the scents you listed, although I've never tried the parfum. Many of the fragrances you listed are musky/powdery skin scents--other ideas that come to mind are Goutal's Musc Nomade, Prada Infusion d'Iris, Hermes Hiris, FM L'Eau d'Hiver, and Barbara Bui.

Sure she prefers more musky/powdery but her current favorite is Love Truish Blue Light that i think is semi oriental also chypres like No19.
    Also can wears for very special occasions scents with tuberose like Carnal Flower.

And about F. Malle perfumes ? They are all fantastic Giannis and exclusive, IMO
    www.editionsdeparfums.com
    Perfumes

If she likes no. 19, I say go for it. The parfum extrait of Norell is still well made. It was made in 1968, but it feels timeless. Very green and sexy.

I will follow your suggestion due i respect very much your taste and often read your posts and reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    If she likes no. 19, I say go for it. The parfum extrait of Norell is still well made. It was made in 1968, but it feels timeless. Very green and sexy.

Hillaire

I am thirty-five, and I love it.
    Granted, I am a vintage obsessive, and I wear almost exclusively fragrances launched before my birth!

I would say it's one a handful of total safe, blind buys, in fact. Assuming, you appreciate the genre.

Just like No. 19, Y, or First, it's a classic of its time. And timeless.
    And it's so cheap right, how disastrous could it be?

Just bought the parfum extrait for 31 euros shipped from fragrancex.com.
    Thank you all!

Norell is a classic you can not go wrong with. I was wearing it when I was 16 years old and still wear it today (I'm 43 now).

Extrait? Norell is now being made by Five Star Fragrances, so I'm guessing if you have found "extrait" then you have found vintage stuff. Even if your wife doesn't like it, I can assure you, there is at least one Basenotes member who will buy it from you!

I've found bottles of Norell Eau de Cologne and Eau de Parfum locally. I think there's also an Eau de Toilette version, which seems to be absent.

Can anyone describe the differences between the various concentrations?

Thanks.

noggs

Basenotes Institution

Report back giannis and tell us how she likes it.

My mom used to wear Norell EdT too - I think it might be hard for me to wear myself comfortably (due to the associations) but I still think it smells fantastic and I'm sure the parfum will be slightly more complex and/or deeper. Good luck!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Giannis, tell us if you like it.
    I used to love the old version, but I was afraid that the new one had been changed.