Code of Conduct

Thread: Buying Blind

Default Buying Blind

I'm going to be buying two fragrances blind. I'd like to get one for day wear, and the other for evening wear. I live in a cold weather climate, so this will play a factor in my decision. Typically, I like fresh/clean scents that last. Any recommendations?

Default Re: Buying Blind

Bvlgari pour homme Extreme
    Paco Rabanne
    Azzaro Silver Black

Quote Originally Posted by bosati05 View Post
    I'm going to be buying two fragrances blind. I'd like to get one for day wear, and the other for evening wear. I live in a cold weather climate, so this will play a factor in my decision. Typically, I like fresh/clean scents that last. Any recommendations?
    Be sure to read up on the directory ( reviews) and forum archives. They seem to me the best way to buy blind ( if that is what you want to do).

Dependent

after a couple of regretful blind buys, i suggest you try them out at a local mall first coz like we all know they seem to smell different on individuals. but like duncan, my vote goes to bvlgari extreme for daily wear. It seems to have really good longevity and sillage and has a nice mix of citrus and spice, very wearable and popular with the ladies as well. another one i would reccommend is Loewe solo.

Is part of the fun the risk of buying blind? If so, I'll leave it to wiser basenoters to make suggestions. If not, I would suggest spending a fraction of the money on a several decants, or sampling in the store. I bought three scents blind a long time ago and regretted all three.

I would try and get samples first but if you want two scents Chrome by Azzaro and Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    I bought three scents blind a long time ago and regretted all three.
    Same here...I bought four different scents that had 5 star ratings online (all blind purchases because I thought they had to be good with the 5 star ratings), and I HATED THEM ALL!!!!!! LESSON LEARNED: I will no longer buy fragrances based on other peoples opinions...everyones chemistry is different! I would much rather test them out in the store, then purchase online (it's cheaper).
    www.rigosplace.com

...xXjEnNyXx...

====MY ADDICTION====

<3<3 PERFUME<3<3

jenny, you're awesome. You reply to all of my threads.

ty...I apply to the threads that interest me and to the ones I want to share my opinion...
    www.rigosplace.com

...xXjEnNyXx...

====MY ADDICTION====

<3<3 PERFUME<3<3

I was being sort of sarcastic...I'm a little disappointed with the number of responses that I've gotten. Really though, thanks for your input.

I was being sort of sarcastic...I'm a little disappointed with the number of responses that I've gotten. Really though, thanks for your input.
    Too few? Too many?
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 6th January 2009 at 01:41 PM.

OK--if you are really into the gamble of the blind buy, I'd say you can't go wrong with Eau Sauvage.

Enjoy!

Blog Entries

Eau savage might be a good one but since you said its cold where you live I would suggest 'warm' scents
    my advise

Dior Homme, Chanel Allure Blanche or Minotaure for daytime.

Joop Jump, Rochas Man or something musky for nighttime.

(all of the ones above are easily available and reasonable priced )

Too few.
    I still think the best way is to read the mens forum ( not just recent, but past threads). But here are my blind buy recommendations :

Day:
    Versace Baby Blue Jeans
    Lalique Eau de Lalique
    Canali Black Diamond EDP
    YSL L'homme
    Joop! Jump
    Ermenegildo Zegna Z Extreme

Evening:
    Lalique Le Faune EDP
    Lalique Pour Homme EDP
    Gabriela Sabatini Devotion for Men
    Burberry Brit

PS: None are really fresh/clean, but these are just my picks. I live in a cold climate too, so can relate a bit. Climate definetly matters in choice.
    Last edited by Surfacing; 6th January 2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: organize

YSL Rive Gauche
    Caron Third Man

Don't be dissapointed with the responses...go to the mall and test some out...it's the only way to know if you truly like them.

But I would recomend if you were to buy blind...Burberry London, Nautica Blue, Cool Water, Fahrenheit, Eternity, Kouros, or Hugo Boss...These are scents that I like to smell on a man...
    www.rigosplace.com

...xXjEnNyXx...

====MY ADDICTION====

<3<3 PERFUME<3<3

I forgot the female list...my favorite clean scents and cold weather scents are Incanto Charms (It is a clean fruity/ floral), Incanto Shine, Incanto Dream, and Incanto Heaven which are all by Salvatore Ferragamo, Freeze Me by Cool Water , My Voyage by Nautica, DKNY by Donna Karan, The Beat by Burberry, and Burberry London.
    Last edited by xXjEnNyXx; 7th January 2009 at 01:52 AM.
    www.rigosplace.com

...xXjEnNyXx...

====MY ADDICTION====

<3<3 PERFUME<3<3

I'll have to second Burberry London. It's not really a fresh / clean, but it is great for the colder climate.

I can't make many specific recommendations, as I am not very knowledgeable on men's fragrances, however Eau Sauvage seems a pretty safe bet. It's a classic for good reason. And not many men wear it nowadays, so it will still be distinctive.

However, I'd certainly advise trying decants or samples first, if you possibly can. And if that's not do-able, then buy the smallest or cheapest bottle you can. This might mean buying a tester or an unboxed bottle from an online discounter. The problem with buying blind is that it can be expensive and disheartening if it goes wrong, as Jen pointed out.

In making your choices, think about the fragrances you have already smelled and which you like and dislike. Look these up in the database and see whose reviews are similar to your own feelings about these frags. If you find one or two reviewers cropping up regularly whose opinions you agree with, take a look at their wardrobes if you can (click on the bottle icon next to their name in a thread). You might get some ideas from that.

If you find you have a handful of fragrances that are your short list, post them so we have a better idea of what appeals to you and the gents can suggest 'yes, that one's good' or 'ooh - be a bit careful with that one it's a bit powerful'. I think we just need a bit more to go on.

Hope this is helpful.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I dont think you could go wrong with Mugler Cologne or Dolce and Gabanna pour homme for daytime wear, and Lolita Lempicka au Masculin for night wear. Mugler and Dolce both have a soapy vibe going on, however Dolce is much longer lasting. Mugler does smell great when your body heat rises though

Only get Lolita Lempicka if you like 'gourmand' scents, as it smells like, IMO, 'dusty licorice, vanilla and barley sugars.'
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I second those who say don't buy blind!

It may be fun if you have lots of money to waste because you may not like what you buy.

I have to restrain myself every time I see something that sounds just me but I have made mistakes that way. Fragrances to me seem to be full of emotional triggers and associations and what turns on one person may do nothing for another.

if you really don't know what areas of perfumes to try ie, citrus, oceanic, floral (many subsections) gourmand, woody, leather, chypre, ambery, green etc then can I suggest if you have NOT got loadsamoney to spend, that you invest a small amount in a sample pack from one of the perfumiers that do this sort of thing?

There are others, but I got into my perfume hobby/addiction through the Perfumed Court. I bought the Niche and Classic Perfumes starter pack and totally fell in love and was blown away by a couple of frags that were not in the categories that I would have expected from my then very limited exposure to good fragrances. From there I have bought a couple from that pack as full bottles and have also explored their fragrance families further via the sample packs of that type. But beware, this is such fun, it can get expensive

I have not been able to tell if you are male or female or not but either way, there is a Male and a Female Niche and Classic Perfumes beginner sampler pack and I would suggest there is a good place to start. Even if you don't wear all of the samples, they are great examples and all will be worth smelling.

Here is the link for the male one
    http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...c-sampler.aspx

There are some smaller sampler packs and some more advanced ones.

Let us know how you get on which ever way you decided to go with this.

I agree with Duncan "Azzaro Silver Black" sounds like a winner. I know I am late to the conversation so you have probably already chosen your fragrance by now, but that is my 2 cents on the matter. I hope you found one that works for you.

Chanel Pour Monsieur is a good lost island fragrance. Day, night, can't go wrong. Not "clean" and all that, but great. Actually, I kinda like L'Instant Pour Homme lately, too, but not as much as other things. Clean: CdG 888. I really like it. Okay, like Habit Rouge more -- that's a fragrance that, and this sounds odd, maybe, makes me happy. As in, I actually smile and get a kick out of it. Go figure. Day, evening, most weather. (PS, don't care for Eau de Guerlain; it's like Lemon Pledge on me. Turin loves it.)

Anyway, buying blind depends on a few things: do you like and trust the reviewer? Does it sound like a fun product, one you might like, or, if you're neurotic like some of us, one you should just own? How's your wallet?

The good news is that you can get tons of samples by mail -- from Lucky Scent (I have a huge bag of their samples and have made some great buys based on them...and avoided some hundred dollar missteps) to, yes, a Chanel Boutique.

The how's your wallet factor -- well, that's just that. If you can throw down a few hundred, or more, dollars of discretionary spending based on reviews and what-not, then great. It's fun! I've gotten stuff that I loved that way, gotten stuff that I like but will keep because of history or whatever, and some things that I passed on or let gather dust. If you are not comfortable with the gamble, though, and you are not a collector or OCD case, then don't do it.

If you're looking for just one or two things...then sample first, if at all possible, because the buying blind thing tends to lead to more buying blind.

So, really, if you're starting and you a) don't have the funds or b) don't have the inclination to gamble or start buying tons of stuff, get samples. Do mail order, go the the mall, find some finer stores like Saks and Neiman M., and go from there. Money: don't forget that this is a lasting investment. I know that perfume companies make money hand over fist, but your hundred or more bucks of an excellent fragrance (and often half that much) will last you a while and bring you pleasure.