Code of Conduct

Default Niche for a beginner...?

Hey everyone. So, I have just recently been exploring the world of niche fragrance,and I'm looking for some advice. I have been digging through threads, reading reviews in the directory, and ordering samples, and I could use some direction.

Things I like so far: Creed Hymalaya, MI, Erolfa, GIT, SMW, Terre d' Hermes, L'Artisan Mure et Musc Extreme

Things I'm not so fond of: Creed BdP, L'Artisan D'Zing, Navagear, and Dzonaka

I also have Guerlain's Vetiver, which I'm still on the fence about.
    The samples I have enroute are Musc Ravageur, Vetiver Extrordinaire, Black Aoud, Blue Amber, and Attar.

I am 30 years old, and I am looking for frags that have character, but don't make me feel like and older man (like Guerlain Vetiver.) Which houses should I look in to? Any particular frag come to mind?

Default Re: Niche for a beginner...?

Check out some Commes de Garcons fragrances. They certainly have character and are, for the most part, very contemporary and wearable. I'd start with Vettiveru, the Incense series, one or two of the Red series (especially Pallisander and Sequoia), and Hinoki.

Also, if you like TdH, check out Red Vetyver. Many people find them similar. If you like GIT and MI then I suggest Bond no9 Riverside Drive.
    Last edited by surreality; 7th January 2009 at 12:38 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

it's very clear from your description that you do not like heavy, leathery, oriental kinds. you are looking for something fresh and modern . of the Creeds you cant go wrong with SMW or GIT. Terre d'Hermes is a classic too.

some others tht i wud suggest...

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...0403&section=1 - this since you liked Erolfa

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...1600&section=1 - a very modern interpretation of a fresh scent.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...2605&section=1 - this ones spicy..but boy..is it amazing or what..this smells "niche" to me..

You might want to consider the Nasomatto line. I love most of their fragrances. Samples available at luckyscent.com Have fun exploring!

On the male fragrance forum, among those you haven't tried, these tend to receive the most frequent praise:

Knize Ten ( by Knize )
    L'Air du Desert Marocain ( Tauer )
    Domenico Caraceni ( Domenico Caraceni )
    Cuiron ( Helmut Lang )
    Patou pour Homme ( Patou ) - not technically a niche frag, but occupies a similar place because of its discontinued status
    No. 88 ( Czech & Speake )
    Black Aoud ( Montale )

Like any place, Basenotes is prone to trends. Last year Tauer, Creed, Malle were hot-button names, this year it's Domenico Caraceni, Parfumerie Generale, Nasomatto. Ava Luxe is a big name on the female forum; rarely mentioned on the male forum, despite the line mostly being unisex.

Does Serge Lutens do anything that can pass for contemporary, or are they all pretty "sophisticated gentlemanly" frags?

Smile Re: Niche for a beginner...?

Quote Originally Posted by edelzwicker View Post
    Does Serge Lutens do anything that can pass for contemporary, or are they all pretty "sophisticated gentlemanly" frags?
    Gee...I don't think of Serge as 'sophisticated gentlemanly' at all. Sophisticated yes. Exotic, often bold, dramatic, interesting, sometimes profound, artistic, frequently brilliant....these are all modifiers I would use. I don't think you can go wrong exploring his line, which is carried by several etailers on-line, and also at Barneys and Nieman's in the Bay Area.

"sophisticated gentlemanly" is not the desciptor I think of when it comes to Serge Lutens.
    You didn't mention them in your list have you sniffed some of them and come to that conclusion?
    If you haven't you should head over to your Bay Area Barney's and sniff some and see if they might be more in the vein your looking for.
    I also second trying some of the Comme des Garcons line while you're at Barney's too because those should be right up your alley.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Sur la Plage

I would look into and sample some of the offerings from The Different Company and Byredo - should be easy to do in the Bay Area.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 8th January 2009 at 03:43 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hi!
    Serge Lutens: sophisticated but very contemporary and mesmerizing... Try for example Gris Clair or Miel du Bois... delicious and intriguing!
    I suggest you also to consider Diptyque, my current favourite brand: maybe you can start with Phylosikos (a green woody figue), Eau de Lierre (ivy!), or Oyédo (if you like citrus fruits)... They're intense, deep and very long lasting.
    Good hunt!
    tom

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    "sophisticated gentlemanly" is not the desciptor I think of when it comes to Serge Lutens.
    You didn't mention them in your list. Have you sniffed some of them and come to that conclusion?.
    No. I probably jumped the gun on that one. I just had a rough one between some one telling me that my (new) Guerlain Vetiver reminded me of her grandmothers house, and almost all of the L'artisan samples I tried where completely unwearable on me. I was starting to think that I was barking up the wrong tree.

I definately am looking for exotic scents, but at this stage I am still a bit extroverted about the situation. For instance, I love my Vetiver, and I spray it in myself all the time because I love the complexity of it, but I want people in my peer group to be able to appreciate them without me having to explain why its good.

I'll definitely go check out the SL line. In fact I already have a bunch qued up in my wish list at TPC. I will have to buy something first when I go into Barneys though, because I feel like a pariah asking for samples with a non purchasing agenda.

Thnx for the help.

I'll definitely go check out the SL line. In fact I already have a bunch qued up in my wish list at TPC. I will have to buy something first when I go into Barneys though, because I feel like a pariah asking for samples with a non purchasing agenda.

Thnx for the help.
    I can't speak for the Barney's in the Bay Area but I know there are some here who can. The one in Boston is about as low-pressure as it gets. They understand you wanting to wear something before plunking down cash on it. Even if you feel awkward asking for samples go in unscented and put one spray on a different part of your body. You pretty much can put one on each wrist one in the crook of each arm and one on the back of each forearm. That's six scents you can skin test. Yes you might smell like a perfume shop exploded on you but you'll get a chance to see how things go. If you feel awkward doing even that much the strips are there and you can sparay those and keep them. Bring a pen with you and write down the name at the bottom of each strip so you can compare them later. Those testers are there to be used and they are there so someone can go in and get a chance to "try on" the scent. Think about it this way you wouldn't buy a pair of jeans from Barney's without going in and trying them on. Wearing a sample or getting a spray from a tester is really the same thing.
    Happy Hunting.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I will have to buy something first when I go into Barneys though, because I feel like a pariah asking for samples with a non purchasing agenda.
    Don't feel obligated to buy when you go and sample and don't give into sales pressure. Go in and just ask nicely for samples or to test the fragrances that you want. If a store isn't willing to do this for you then maybe you shouldn't give them your hard earned money.

but I want people in my peer group to be able to appreciate them without me having to explain why its good.
    Then maybe SL isn't a good idea. SL scents are upfront, bold and somewhat challenging
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Then maybe SL isn't a good idea. SL scents are upfront, bold and somewhat challenging
    Ditto... I find many of them quite wearable, but most of them are quite at odds with what's most popular in the designer market right now, and quite a few - La Myrrhe, Tuberose Criminelle and Cedre, among those I've tried - are downright odd. However, they're not experimental the way some house like Demeter, Comme des Garcons or CB I Hate Perfume often are.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 9th January 2009 at 03:42 AM.

I strongly recommend you try the house of Parfumerie Generale, they're definitely more "approachable" than Serge Lutens IMO. Too many scents in their portfolio to list... sample away!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Ditto... I find many of them quite wearable, but most of them are quite at odds with what's most popular in the designer market right now, and quite a few - La Myrrhe, Tuberose Criminelle and Cedre, among those I've tried - are downright odd. However, they're not experimental the way some house like Demeter, Comme des Garcons or CB I Hate Perfume often are.
    Well odd doesn't really scare me off completely. If it is wearable then I am interested, and I also just would like to know whats out there (at least for a frame of reference). In fact I am really intrigued by the CdG anti- frags. I like the idea of carrying a scent that is aloof or tough to figure out (in the way that people are intrigued by it), but when I smell things like D'Zing I think wtf is this burnt sugar? Disgusting. I could never stand to smell it, let alone wear it. I want to try some SL stuff, because, like them or not, I doubt I'll be bored.

Thanks a lot for all of your help everyone. My next round of samples will include...

CdG Incense: Kyoto
    CdG Incense: Jaisalmer
    CdG Red: Sequoya
    CdG Red: Palisander
    CdG Odeur 53
    Cdg Odeur 71
    PG L'Ombre Fauve
    PG Cadjmere
    PG Cuir d`Iris
    and I'm throwing in L'instant de Guerlain

After those TDC, Bond no. 9, Curion, Knize Ten, SL and Andy Tauer