Code of Conduct

Default Creed - 100% Natural

I've read in the forums about how Creed uses "mostly" natural ingredients in their fragrances. However according to Oliver Creed himself, they use 100% natural ingredients. I maybe be naive, but this would explain their less than average longevity and silage....
    Last edited by dr.007; 13th January 2009 at 09:39 AM.

Default Re: Creed - 100% Natural

Short and simple: They don't. It's a well known fact that they don't.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

that was short and simple.

Blog Entries

Maybe 1% of the ingredients are 100% natural. Like they say, marketing, damn marketing, and statistics. (Don't mind me - I'm a joker who likes Creed).

Still, I think it's clear that Creed uses a very high amount of naturals in the fragrances that I like, which are the citrus and essential oil EDTs. I won't comment on the millesimes, which are not so much my thing. Other than that, you may want to use the search function. This subject has been already discussed here quite a bit, sometimes heatedly. That's all I'm sayin'...

Indeed they do not, as they now admit (as in ZZ top's interview with Erwin Creed, I believe). The old PR copy in the perfume boxes has also changed from the old formulation, which read something like "uses only the finest natural oils" or so (don't have a box in the office just now to check ). Anyway, you just need to smell GIT, MI or SMW to get a nice blast of synthetics.

It's the kind of BS you constantly get from SAs and company representatives. They tell customers what they want to hear, because any attempt at explaining the role of synthetics in perfumery and that they are not "evil" as opposed to "good" naturals (only Iso E super is evil ) will complicate things, could turn awkward or ruin the sale. Maybe one could relax consumer attitudes towards synthetics by pointing out the origin of natural civet
    Last edited by the_good_life; 13th January 2009 at 09:58 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    ... (only Iso E super is evil ) ...
    LMAO!

I don't know - Martima® (wet dog odor) is pretty evil in my book. And listen to what they say about that one:

Odor Profile: Fresh, Ozone (Fresh Air/Marine)
    Olfactory Description: Powerful, clean, wet, fresh air tone reminiscent of ocean breezes. Excellent performer in many media.

And there I was about to say that maybe marketing just stretches the truth a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Maybe one could relax consumer attitudes towards synthetics by pointing out the origin of natural civet
    "You can have perfumes that use synthetics, or..." *hands live civet cat to customer* "...you can poke this in the bum with a sharp stick!"

Wink Re: Creed - 100% Natural

They absolutely do use 100% natural ingredients... but they also use 100% fake ones.
    New site for my available dec^H^H^Hsplits: http://www.badgerdecants.com

Can anyone provide proof that they use synthetic notes? Just curious, not trying to start an argument or anything, but I would like to see some facts and don't have all year to run searches on here, since there are so many threads on it. I noticed Spring Flower turns yucky on my skin and natural peach notes usually don't do this. Thanks.

Millesime Imperial is a calone drenched bomb!

The fun thing is, because it's a Creed / the other ingredients are quite nice, MI doesn't get the calone bashing but people comment on that 'wonderful watermelon note'.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LMAO!

I don't know - Martima® (wet dog odor) is pretty evil in my book. And listen to what they say about that one:

Odor Profile: Fresh, Ozone (Fresh Air/Marine)
    Olfactory Description: Powerful, clean, wet, fresh air tone reminiscent of ocean breezes. Excellent performer in many media.

And there I was about to say that maybe marketing just stretches the truth a bit!

Marketing stretches the truth a bit? Wash your mouth out! We stretch it a LOT!!!!
    (Advertising copywriter by trade. Yup, aim those rotten tomatoes over here!)
    Last edited by Wordbird; 13th January 2009 at 03:31 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    Can anyone provide proof that they use synthetic notes? Just curious, not trying to start an argument or anything, but I would like to see some facts and don't have all year to run searches on here, since there are so many threads on it. I noticed Spring Flower turns yucky on my skin and natural peach notes usually don't do this. Thanks.
    Here is a quote from Creed's official UK website:

Wherever possible, Olivier Creed insists on using natural essences instead of the synthetic ones used increasingly by large perfume companies these days. This enables Olivier Creed, a perfectionist, to preserve the originality and superior quality of his fragrances. (See: http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/site/about_creed).

The key expression is "Wherever possible".

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    They would promote themselves as "natural perfumers" if they didn't use synthetics. You can clearly smell them in some of their fragrances. By the way, there is no natural peach note in perfumery, it is a synthetic aldehyde first made famous by mitsouko in 1919.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 13th January 2009 at 04:36 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    They would promote themselves as "natural perfumers" if they didn't use synthetics. You can clearly smell them in some of their fragrances. By the way, there is no natural peach note in perfumery, it is a synthetic aldehyde first made famous by mitsouko in 1919.
    Gamma-Lactones, also known to enhance white wines
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Yes, the answer is no.
    THe above "wherever possible" quote, is a good one.
    Olivier has also said they use "up to" 95% in their line, which means likely only one scent is only 5% synthetic. Many others in their line are well over 50% synthetic. But this, imho, is not bad, and does not knock them of the top of my list for most "natural smelling" houses.
    But some scents use more natural, some less.
    Although some of the older EDT's I would guess are over 75% natural, even some of the millesimes don't list any nasties(those required by law to be listed due to allergy/toxicity/etc.)

As the_good_life correctly points out, Erwin Creed did tell me that Himalaya has a "gun powder" note which is definitely a synthetic note. Others like MI and SMW use a "marine note", but I believe its a much more refined version of Calone (like Floralzone or some other type as in Vetiver Extraordinaire) and certainly incorporated with much more panache than your average crass Calone/marine chemical juices. The marine note in SMW is especially brilliant .. its there, but not quite there.

A note on the use of violet in GIT .. this is not the violet note from the flowers, but rather from the leaves. Violet from flowers (sweet violet) is without exception (nowadays) always synthetic, but violet leaf absolute/green violet (solvent extracted or enflueraged) is obtainable and used by houses in their perfumes. As always, the quality of the absolute varies and sometimes a combo of the leaf absolute and synthetic is used. You can order good quality violet leaf absolute online and then use your nose to pass judgment on the quality of violet leaf note in fragrances like GIT, Kiton Men, Fahrenheit and others. And yes I do believe GITs violet leaf note is of a superb natural quality.
    -

I tend to think it's the iris note in GIT that is exceptional. The iris note is what lends the composition the scent of a sweet violet flower, while the violet leaf note adds a bit of depth and greenness.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I sent a message to Creed asking them whether the amber in Creed Ambre Cannelle is based on natural or synthetic Amber. This is the response I got.

CREED is a strong advocate of natural ingredients in fragrance, and the use of natural ambergris in CREED fragrances is common, although ambergris is not used in Ambre Cannelle specifically.

The decision whether to use a naturally-sourced or synthetic ingredient in a particular CREED fragrance in a particular year is the decision of sixth-generation master perfumer Olivier CREED in Paris . In his decision, Mr. CREED is guided by his sense of what would serve best the artistry and quality of the fragrance. Availability of natural materials in a given year is always a central concern as well.

We hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if we may be of any further assistance to you.

IMO there may be a problem finding a source for a long term supply of high quality Ambergris. Quality Ambergris is expensive and hard to find. I think using it for limited release perfumes would be great but for a permanent part of the line I just don't think its practical.
    Last edited by Game; 16th January 2009 at 08:13 AM.