Code of Conduct

Default Looking for another new fragrance. Loving Rive Gauche.

Thanks for the Rive Gauche suggestion. I'm really liking this one. I'm still pretty new to this whole thing, but I can definitely tell the difference between the initial burst and the dry down. I enjoyed the initial burst, but found the scent really matured into a much better smell after a little while. This is a perfect example to me of why you should totally experience all cycles of a fragrance before making a decision on it. In many ways similar to Polo, but I haven't really paid that much attention to it.

Ok guys I'm hooked and I must have more. Another paycheck, another frag so suggestions, hints are welcome. It would be nice if I could sample these, but I usually order online(live in a small town). I find that the convenience outweighs the risk of blind buying for me(on lower priced items). If its not too much to ask, point out redundancy for me. For example, if a frag i'm looking at is fairly similar to one I have. Anyways, this is what I have:

-Polo(original)
    -Givenchy Pi
    -Alt Innsbruck
    -Canoe
    -Rive Gauche

What i'm looking at:

-Habit Rouge EDT
    -Jaipur Homme EDT
    -Zino Davidoff
    -Burberry London
    -Burberry Brit

P.S. Sorry if my topics are getting annoying.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for another new fragrance. Loving Rive Gauche.

You are not at all annoying.

I am not familiar with PI, but I have the other four fragrances in your wardrobe. I also have all five of the ones you are considering purchasing.

This is my order of preference, from top to bottom:
    Jaipur Homme EdT
    Zino Davidoff
    Burberry London
    Habit Rouge EdT EdC
    Burberry brit
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 8th January 2009 at 03:50 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

I would get Habit Rouge EDC, instead of EDT.
    Zino is also a great choice. It is in my top 10.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farno View Post
    I would get Habit Rouge EDC, instead of EDT.
    Zino is also a great choice. It is in my top 10.
    Thanks, farno!

I keep forgetting that my Habit Rouge is an EdC and not an EdT.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Pi and Jaipur are kinda similar...both are really sweet gourmands with heavy vanillaic notes, so I would skip the Jaipur, though they are different enough to me to have both.

Everything else you want to get is good. You should love Habit Rouge...awesome 'dirty' frag.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Post Thanks / Like

If you like Rive Gauche(keep in mind I have never tried it), which is considered a sort of classic, barbershop, masculine scent. Maybe you would also like Penhaligon's Douro, which is a really fantastic, masculine sandalwood with that same "barbershop" vibe going on.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 8th January 2009 at 06:02 PM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm a fan of the two Burberrys that you listed.

I didn't really notice a barbershop hit during Rive Gauche. Maybe at the very beginning, but definitely not later on. Maybe I just go to different barbershops or something. Also it doesn't seem to have a lot of staying power on me. Three sprays this morning and no initial overpowering detection of it. Throughout the day I would catch whiffs of it, but never blasts. It seems to be a lot lighter on me, or maybe I just got a weak bottle. Maybe even olfactory fatigue since I spent last night periodically smelling it on my wrists. Don't know if was projecting since I didn't ask anybody.

On another note, as I was picking up something for lunch today, I stopped into Roses to look around. Picked up a Raw Vanilla Gift Set for $7.50. I really like this stuff. I'm pretty sure its the frag my friend had back in High School. We would always put it on after gym. Really good for a budget frag. The vanilla could be a bit smoother/less biting, but for this price, I really have no complaints. Really good.
    Last edited by ibarney5; 8th January 2009 at 07:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Your posts are enjoyable and in no way annoying! I'm fairly new to frags myself.

I'd recommend Burberry London. It's a personal favorite. I find it boozy and sexy. Perfect for winter.

When I'm in the mood to try a bunch of new fragrances I usually order a variety of samples online. I know what its like not to live near a good shopping center so the online scent businesses have really been helpful for developing my clumsy and naive nose .

Post Thanks / Like

like you, I'm new to this cologne "hobby" too

If you like Rive Gauche/Burberry London, which I also just purchased, I believe you will love the following:

Terre d'Hermes
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme
    JHL by Aramis

These are "must have" in my list. Others depends on personal preference.

Last edited by abc1234; 9th January 2009 at 04:00 AM.