Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jacques Fath Green Water...2008relaunch...vs.1993relaunch...vs. 1947original ?

2008 relaunch bottle:

1993 relaunch bottle:

1947 bottle:

After seeing this mentioned as an inexpensive Selection Verte, I'm very interested. If anyone owns this, I (and hopefully others) would greatly appreciate if you could specify your thaughts on it, which version/bottle[s] you have owned/smelled, which version is best, and if you find it similar to any other fragrances which others may like.

Thanks.
    Peace.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 3rd February 2009 at 02:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jacques Fath Green Water...2008relaunch...vs.1993relaunch...vs. 1947original ?

Have not experienced the new but the old was THE BEST citrus IMO.
    Last edited by richard d; 8th January 2009 at 06:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jacques Fath Green Water...2008relaunch...vs.1993relaunch...vs. 1947original ?

I have the 1993 version of Green Water, which I just bought last year. I don't know the original version or the latest incarnation of it, or Selection Verte for that matter, so I can't make any comparisons.

I have really enjoyed this one, especially in warmer weather. If you read the reviews in the Fragrance Directory, you should have a pretty good idea of what it's like.

It is very lemony and minty, and rather sharp and zesty as several others have mentioned. I find it absolutely tantalizing and refreshing, and I consider it one of my better discoveries of the year. I almost became addicted to wearing it last summer.

noggs

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 1993 version & LOVE it. It is fantastic, a very dry herbal-citrus scent with a bit of pine. It is greener than Blenheim Bouquet but has the same attitude -- uncompromising!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

^So it does have pine/conifer? I did not see that listed in notes.
    Ok.
    Would you say it has more pine/conifer than Bowling Green ?
    I really enjoy everything about Bowling Green, but it's subtle fir/pine is my limit.
    Also, would you say the drydown is dominated by leafy/herbal/light grassiness ?
    Or is the drydown featuring Pine fairly obviously ?

If Green Water, at any stage, reminds anyone of another fragrance, in either distinct smell, or in overall impression, please feel free to let us know any comparison or associations.

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 9th January 2009 at 01:08 AM.

I remember the 1993 Bottle.....we had this in stock at the Mom and Pop store that I worked at before the internet killed their business. I also remember this being carried at Nordstrom.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Jacques Fath Green Water...2008relaunch...vs.1993relaunch...vs. 1947original ?

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    ^So it does have pine/conifer? I did not see that listed in notes.
    Ok.
    Would you say it has more pine/conifer than Bowling Green ?
    I really enjoy everything about Bowling Green, but it's subtle fir/pine is my limit.
    Also, would you say the drydown is dominated by leafy/herbal/light grassiness ?
    Or is the drydown featuring Pine fairly obviously ?

If Green Water, at any stage, reminds anyone of another fragrance, in either distinct smell, or in overall impression, please feel free to let us know any comparison or associations.

Thanks everyone.
    Here's my take.
    At the lower end, we have the humble, work-horse Pino Silvestre. Much-maligned, and yet IMO a solid budget fragrance.
    Climbing up the ladder, we have L'Occitane en Provence's Eau de 4 Voleurs, a more complex herbal-pine scent.
    Further up the ladder, with more basil/mint notes, we have Fath's Green Water. So lively and vital! A real tonic blast!
    At the peak, losing some herbal notes but gaining a frosty lemon-ice vibe, is Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet.

I love them all!!
    PS -- I've sampled Bowling Green many times. Each time my reaction is the same. I like the first 5 minutes of it, and then it irritates me profoundly and I have to wash it off. So I can't comment in detail about it, except to say that for me it is not at all like any of the above, except at the beginning.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 9th January 2009 at 02:30 AM. Reason: added info
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

The original from 1947-1980's I still have not smelled.
    The picture has been added to show the vintage bottle.
    I have now smelled both the 1993 version and the 2008 relaunch.
    The top notes of both newer formulations of Green Water are similar to Selection Verte, but they do not have the green sweetness of the Sweet Pea vine/Flower under them, but the Citrus/Mint combo is minty-cool and sweet/happy like Selection Verte. Regarding the mention of Pine, I smell no Pine or Fir in either, just a very small dose of Juniper Berries (which smells vaguely similar, but much sweeter and more citric than pine) Both the 1993 and 2008 formulations are the same overall fresh and natural style, and share most notes, but the proportions are what have changed.

Each version emphasizes different notes from the pyramid:
    the 1993 version places emphasis on Mint, Lemon/Tangerine, Basil, and OAKMOSS
    the 2008 version places emphasis on Mint, Lime/Tangerine, Neroli/Orange Blossom, and Cut Grass

The level of Oakmoss is drastically changed, the 1993 version is actually the closest I have smelled to pure Oakmoss Absolute in a drydown, with just a slight vetiver to accompany it. The 2008 version has a very small dose of Oakmoss, and the drydown is much brighter and greener, focusing instead on cut grass and clean herbacious notes, with both the vetiver and oakmoss being pulled way down in the mix.

Both Versions have the very natural green-citrus appeal of Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte, nothing smells cheap or synthetic, though they are greener and mintier than ed'ov, and of course have better longevity. I would say Oakmoss lovers looking for a green-citrus scent should definitely test the 1993 Green Water, and Neroli/Orange Blossom lovers looking for a green-citrus scent should test the 2008 Green Water.

Spring is coming.

Sorry I can't contribute to how it smells but the 1947 bottle's san serif Grotesk style font is beautiful for that era. Same typestyles found on the WWII posters in Europe.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dullah, those are excellent comparative notes. I'm interested in trying the revamped version, based on what you've said.
    odysseusm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Sorry I can't contribute to how it smells but the 1947 bottle's san serif Grotesk style font is beautiful for that era. Same typestyles found on the WWII posters in Europe.
    A fellow typophile!
    I've finally found a supplier for Green Water in Australia. It's been on my wish list for a while, so now... there's no excuse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Thanks Dullah, those are excellent comparative notes. I'm interested in trying the revamped version, based on what you've said.
    If you like the 1993version (as I do), be prepared for a change. I already stated the drop off from the 93's Oakmoss absolute, but it also has significant drop off in basil, and no cumin, which I actually liked in the 93version. No drop off in quality though. 2008 relaunch has big upspike in grassiness and even bigger upsurge in Neroli/Orange Blossom. The new 2008 GW is honestly perfect for those seeking a greener/grassier version of Maitre's Eau Pour Le Jeune.
    The Neroli is that strong!

Post Thanks / Like

If you like the 1993version (as I do), be prepared for a change. I already stated the drop off from the 93's Oakmoss absolute, but it also has significant drop off in basil, and no cumin, which I actually liked in the 93version. No drop off in quality though. 2008 relaunch has big upspike in grassiness and even bigger upsurge in Neroli/Orange Blossom. The new 2008 GW is honestly perfect for those seeking a greener/grassier version of Maitre's Eau Pour Le Jeune.
    The Neroli is that strong!
    Thanks for that. I've already noticed the oakmoss dropoff in other scents. Paco Rabanne is a good example. And I have a vintage bottle Houbigant Fougere Royale which has real oakmoss, no holds barred! What an experience, what a depth!! It is incredible. It's a shame that regulations are taking this away from us.

But I'm a fan of green scents, so I'll try the new Green Water and consider it a new scent. Cheers!
    odysseusm

I had a bottle in 1990. It was a dark green, almost black splash bottle. I don't see that bottle here. I think, it was 100 ml. Dirty (in a very positive way) oakmoss smell with a lot of mint and citrus. I wish, I could find it again.

I have re-purchased the classic Green Water more than any other fragrance. I've probably gone through at least 10 bottles of it in the past. But the version I had was a glass bottle but it was an atomizer (is that what is called? basically the spray mechanism is pressurized - you have to press and hold the pump) as opposed to a normal spray. I probably still have an empty bottle lying around somewhere that I can take a picture of.

Last edited by lsp_NY; 1st November 2009 at 02:41 PM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Reviving this thread to say I'm very curious about the old formulation of this, since I love oakmoss. I'm going to track down a bottle. I agree with dullah that the new (2008) formulation is mainly about neroli. I found it pleasing but boring.

Only know about the 1993 release which is what I have. Also curious about the earlier one which I had no idea existed.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Reviving this thread to say I'm very curious about the old formulation of this, since I love oakmoss. I'm going to track down a bottle. I agree with dullah that the new (2008) formulation is mainly about neroli. I found it pleasing but boring.
    ... wrong - completely, on the edge of being grotesque! It is about juniper berry and mint. I too can't think of oakmoss being an issue with this one. Even with Mitsouko the transformation left nearly no alterartions smell wise. Save Your money and enjoy - damn!
    Last edited by WildThingy; 10th March 2012 at 06:59 PM.
    No More Buying - Leaving - Left

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    ... wrong - completely, on the edge of being grotesque! It is about juniper berry and mint. I too can't think of oakmoss being an issue with this one. Even with Mitsouko the transformation left nearly no alterartions smell wise. Save Your money and enjoy - damn!
    Hm, taking a look a the top (2008) bottle in the OP, are you sure that one is about juniper and mint? I found it a mild citrus-neroli-musk thing.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a good amount of well done mint on top in the newest formula. And you're right that the refreshingly green Juniper Berry is there, but it's riding on a giant wave of transparent Neroli and Hexenol-3-cis (bright green wet cut grass note).

There is a good amount of well done mint on top in the newest formula. And you're right that the refreshingly green Juniper Berry is there, but it's riding on a giant wave of transparent Neroli and Hexenol-3-cis (bright green wet cut grass note).
    Nohhh! Because I know that chemical from direct experience - I have it pure in a vial. Green Water is noting like that and too there is nothing that reminds me of neroli, which I have as a pure oil too. Juniper berry isn't 'green' - it's on the edge of brown/purple to black.

I don't want to pick on U, sorry,

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Nohhh! Because I know that chemical from direct experience - I have it pure in a vial. Green Water is noting like that and too there is nothing that reminds me of neroli, which I have as a pure oil too. Juniper berry isn't 'green' - it's on the edge of brown/purple to black.
    Again I ask: are you smelling the new formulation with the silver cap? I get a lot of neroli from it. I also own a bottle of neroli e.o.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    ... new formulation with the silver cap? I get a lot of neroli from it. I also own a bottle of neroli e.o.
    I don't - REALLY! It's all about juniper berry and mint and musk.

If there was strong neroli in the recent bottle (clear glass) it must have been in the top notes and dissipated quickly, because once the opening subsided it was powerful jasmine dominating everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    If there was strong neroli in the recent bottle (clear glass) it must have been in the top notes and dissipated quickly, because once the opening subsided it was powerful jasmine dominating everything else.
    The published pyramid seems to be a bit arbitrary:

orange blossom + lavender
    neroli alone
    orange blossom + neroli (which is the same)
    rose

Older authentic reviews on basenotes don't care about the floral part. I personally would dare to say, the floral part is an aspect of juniper berry. I cooked some just yesterday ...

It's always difficult to analyze a good, hence seamlessly blended perfume into a set of natural notes. For instance rose/geranium/neroli/jasmine have so much in common, the presence of other components renders a differentiation impossible. This is even more the case as those flourish constituents are made up from synthetic raw materials today, lacking maybe specific low level impurities.

The published pyramid seems to be a bit arbitrary:

orange blossom + lavender
    neroli alone
    orange blossom + neroli (which is the same)
    rose

Older authentic reviews on basenotes don't care about the floral part. I personally would dare to say, the floral part is an aspect of juniper berry. I cooked some just yesterday ...

It's always difficult to analyze a good, hence seamlessly blended perfume into a set of natural notes. For instance rose/geranium/neroli/jasmine have so much in common, the presence of other components renders a differentiation impossible. This is even more the case as those flourish constituents are made up from synthetic raw materials today, lacking maybe specific low level impurities.

I know what geranium, rose, and jasmine smell like, and GW has a huge jasmine note. The notes at fragrantica.com are:

"Top notes are lime, green notes, mandarin orange, carrot, basil, petit grain, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are ginger, jasmine and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are amber, musk and oakmoss."

I know what geranium, rose, and jasmine smell like, and GW has a huge jasmine note. The notes at fragrantica.com are:

"Top notes are lime, green notes, mandarin orange, carrot, basil, petit grain, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are ginger, jasmine and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are amber, musk and oakmoss."
    'Got a jasmine absolue from India - no direct resemblance. Maybe I'm anosmic to quite a lot natural aromes - don't get ginger either! No mint to be declared in the pyramid? No juniper berry either - reformulation? Or could it be that the pyramid must not be taken literally as a recipe?

There might be some aldehydes in there. In case it is, I won't dare to tell which blossom they are intended to mimic.

<edit> "Not only that the structure is avant-garde, but also each of the 53 components, inorganic odors such as: desert sand, flame, India rubber, oxygen, smell of white-hot bulb, etc. Due to its structure, this fragrance opens differently to different persons, and it is very interesting to try it out together with other people." from fragarntia.net on Odeur53 of Comme Des Garcons.

Between the lines I - the dumb I am - read: "They extracted the aromas of 53 constituents and mixed them - odeur 53 = 53 'notes'!" Rubbish that would be.

1) There are no inorganic smells!
    2) How would anyone extract the smell of oxygene - from oxygene? By CO2?
    3) How does a white-hot bulb smell in Leverkusen/Germany?

More likely the list of synthetic (organic) ingredients counts 53. 'Note' is a naive concept today.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 11th March 2012 at 11:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the current bottle, and I can say that it is excellent. One of my best recent purchases, and I am quite happy with this house, as I intend on getting Fath pour l'homme soon as well.

'Note' is a naive concept today.
    Perhaps for you it is but not for me, nor for J.C. Ellena. In Chandler's book, "The Perfect Scent," for example, the author talks about how Ellena showed him how to make a chocolate note without anything related to cocoa (see pages 106 to 107). You seem to have a lot to learn about perfumery !

Here's a relevant quotation from that book (spoken by Ellena):

"The explicit point was not to create a thing but an illusion of that thing, an olfactory alchemy. The point of [Un Jardin Sur Le Nil] was not to create a green mango but the illusion of a green mango." Page 107.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 11th March 2012 at 10:23 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Oof, I don't want to be a jerk about this, but that's not Grotesk font on there. The R has far too much spacing between its legs, and the G curls instead of cuts straight as in Grotesk. Perhaps a variation on the Grotesk font, though. There are some different versions out there.

My experience with the 2008 Green Water - it's nice but ephemeral to a fault. Excellent minty greenness with sweet citrus on top, followed by an earthier drydown. Very green and crisp and masculine. It's good stuff. Just wish it lasted longer.

... Chandler's book ... You seem to have a lot to learn about perfumery !
    Please think further. If chemical A and chemical B together evoke jasmine and B and C together evoke ozone, what would A&B&C smell together? Would it be jasmine with ozone? Or could it possible be that it resembles oakmoss?

There are single molecules which smell of different things: pharaone smells of galbanum and pineapple at the same time. And as a third aspect, it's just pharaone with a typical plastic smell to it.

These example show how helpful the idea of 'note' is. Not too much for me.

Post Thanks / Like

No worries, if we submit the 2008 formula to a gas chromatograph it will with 100% certainty show a healthy dose of hexenol-3-cis, which IMO, is a very pleasant, bio-identical synthetic. I have direct experience with a huge range of the perfumer's synthetic and natural pallette. And also, the new green water has no natural neroli, hence my use of the adjective 'Transparent" in front of Neroli in my earlier post. for instance, Nicolai's Cologne Sologne or Xerjoff Kobe use "opaque" nerolis. whereasCzech & Speake's Neroli or Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino utilizes a rather transparent neroli

Post Thanks / Like

No worries, if we submit the 2008 formula to a gas chromatograph it will with 100% certainty show a healthy dose of hexenol-3-cis, which IMO, is a very pleasant, bio-identical synthetic. I have direct experience with a huge range of the perfumer's synthetic and natural pallette. And also, the new green water has no natural neroli, hence my use of the adjective 'Transparent" in front of Neroli in my earlier post. for instance, Nicolai's Cologne Sologne or Xerjoff Kobe use "opaque" nerolis. whereasCzech & Speake's Neroli or Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino utilizes a rather transparent neroli