Code of Conduct

Default Challenge! Need help to find a special thing for my boyfriend

Hello!
    I thought I would ask all of you scent-experienced people if you could help me out with some suggestions.
    My boyfriend once had a kind of egyptian perfume oil that was truly magic. Both him and me were enchanted to death with this one, but unfortunately he happened to break its fragile bottle of glass in the sink. When he bought the perfume oil in Egypt it was called "god of love".
    We later discovered that there were actually many similarities between this oil and Sarah Jessica Parkers "Lovely", but the oil was darker, more masculine, more dirty and didn´t have the unpleasantly sharp top notes of Lovely.
    My boyfriend ended up starting to use Lovely, but it wasn´t quite right for him, and I´m getting tired of the sharp beginning. Considering his personality, he needs something more mystical, dirty, and kind of softly masculine, still with an obvious twist of feminity. Absolutely NOT anything sporty or citrusy. He really loves ambra-scents, the best so far that he sampled was Ambre passion by Laura Mercier, but, it shouldn´t be a singular scent like that one. He also liked Midnight Poison elixir quite a lot, so I have the impression he enjoys patchouli as well.

Any suggestions? As long as I could find it at The perfumed court, I am open to anything, rare or expensive.

I would be really happy and interested in any help I could get!

Love
    Ostranha

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Challenge! Need help to find a special thing for my boyfriend

For some amber fragrances, I would suggest sampling:

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Histoire de Parfums Ambre 114
    Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Ambre Precieux
    Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche
    Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

For patchouli, you may want to try:

Chanel Coromandel
    Histoire de Parfums Noir Patchouli
    Mazzolari Patchouly
    Mazzolari Lui

I know some people compare Lovely to Narciso Rodriguez For Her.

Good luck!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 8th January 2009 at 11:50 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

You are looking for something like "lovely" correct? Cause when you say "I'm open to anything" you're liable to be recommended to try everything.

In any case, as I am sure you will get lots of suggestions my one suggestion is that before you place your orders, read reviews in the directory of everything recommended to you. The reviews do a really good job of letting you know what might also come along with the amber or the patchouli in a fragrance that may or may not be what you're really looking for. Start with this thread, then read the reviews!

According to Chandler Burr's book The Perfect Scent, which has to do in part with developing Lovely, Sarah Jessica Parker had been wearing as her own fragrance three things layered together. One was an inexpensive musk, one was CdG Avignon, and one was an Egyptian perfume oil. I can't remember if she says where she gets the perfume oil but the feeling is that it's not particularly hard to come by. New York street vendor?
    So, if you're feeling bold you might email Chandler Burr and ask. Some chance that you might come up with a reasonable approximation of your bf's original oil. Best of luck to you.