Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question Fragrance...the next step.

The next step for fragrances might seem like science fiction now but remember todays science fiction is tommorrow's science fact. Perhaps mind enhancing drugs delivered via transdermal fragrance applications could create a symphony of effect targeting not only olfactory nerves but essential centers of the brain to enhance sight, hearing, taste and even memories in addition to smell all orchestrated to elicit a programed but individually unique experience. Remember you heard it here first. So what do you think? I think my hormones are working better today.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 8th January 2009 at 04:15 PM.

Default Re: Fragrance...the next step.

I think that is a giant step. Or rather, many steps away.

The more immediate advancements will be the creation and use of new ingredients, whether synthetic or natural. I suspect that there will be more of the former.

We may not be as far away as we think.

Perhaps even the application of electronic stimulus to the neural receptors of the brain that are responsible for olfactory response and memory.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by analavande View Post
    We may not be as far away as we think.

Perhaps even the application of electronic stimulus to the neural receptors of the brain that are responsible for olfactory response and memory.
    Yes, I agree. And I think that as olfactory receptors and the neural pathways are better understood, we will see increasing intervention there. Fragrance inhibitors. Fragrance enhancers. Over-the-counter smell blockers. Fragrance modulators. Fragrance design. Computer-assisted fragrance design. User-controlled fragrances using combinations of molecules specifically chosen to give maximum tunable modulation across known receptors. At WalMart. Fragrance mimicry that will blow our minds. New, shocking fragrances using molecular tricks that nature hasn't thought of. And Turin's stuff will end up paying off in a seemingly unrelated field.

Yes - everything in Star Trek comes true. I just hope we have the Federation before phasers.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yes - everything in Star Trek comes true.
    If taste is really mostly smell, then hopefully they'll come up with those nifty food makers soon.

"Computer, serve me up some tiramisu please."

How great would it be to be able to have all the Tiramisu taste without the calories? I'm doing the Homer Simpson drool noise just thinking of it. (Spot the dieter.)

But to go back to N_Tesla's original suggestion - does the idea of stimulating other areas in the brain realate to synaesthesia, which is being discussed on another thread? How cool would it be to be able to call up the same cross-links for everyone? Smell the perfume and think of roses growing in an English garden after the rain (yeah yeah) while Elgar plays in the background (aha!)?

Obviously we'd all have to have identical personal and cultural associations for that to be effective, so there's no chance, but... it would be cool. (I read too much SciFi, don't I?)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

The new shiseido Zen edition is apparently engineered to produce a zen like state, with valerian and kyara... don't know how realistic thats gonna be tho..

Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    The new shiseido Zen edition is apparently engineered to produce a zen like state, with valerian and kyara... don't know how realistic thats gonna be tho..
    As realistic as the cigar you have to smoke wile wearing the scent, maybe?

I think in the next ten years we will see new synthetic essences making their debut. Product attributes will be along what consumers identify with "quality", I mean, these new ingredients will be the reason why longevity and sillage will be, for today standards, remarkable. At the same time, perfumists wil be able to include weird or odd odours as well as fragrances of today unknown plants and herbs - as a matter of fact, I understand CB I hate Perfume does it, the difference being that this will be part of mainstream products.

In the next fifty years I have the feeling that synthetic recreative drugs will be socially accepted perfumes being part of the game. For example, I would not be surprise if at that time there wil be perfumes designed with the purpose of releasing hormones playing a key role in love making in order to enhance love making sensations.

Hedonism has been an important part of society, but I have the feeling its role in Western societies is becoming more pervasive, the concept of sacrifice becoming obsolete. Science and technology will play an important role in this.
    Last edited by Pollux; 21st January 2009 at 02:24 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    How great would it be to be able to have all the Tiramisu taste without the calories?
    Zero Carb. Zero Fat. Zero Calorie:

http://flavor-spray.com/flavor_sprays_flavors.html

they dont have Tiramisu, but they have comparable flavors.

God, that's wierd! I mean, great, but... Star Trek.
    I can see the merits of it - it must help a lot with strict dieting to lose weight quickly - but of course it does nothing to re-educate you to live a healthier life overall. Still, having low-carbed for a year before my wedding, I do know how much you would kill for chocolate fudge anything at times!

To go back to the topic (sorry for diverting things there, though scent and flavour are intrinsically linked) I wonder if we ever will have fragrances that give us hope, strength, fortitude, compassion...?
    I know I use fragrance very deliberately when I am going into a situation I know will be stressful. I am particularly fond of Clarin Eau Resourcante, which allegedly is calming, when I travel.

Does the panel think there will be greater interest in fragrances like this, which claim to alter mood? With the development of new aromachemicals and pharmaceuticals, will we see clinically-proven fragrances for eg 'traveling calmly', 'feeling hopeful', 'being businesslike', 'getting going' etc etc? I know there are currently aromatherapeutic-based fragrances like this, so perhaps it wouldn't be too big a leap to have clinically-based ones that include skin-absorbed drugs to affect mood/energy/adrenalin.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

How about:

Fragrance material that also includes and gives knowledge, a la The Matrix chair style?

Eg if a perfume says "Kung Fu" - not only you will smell like a sweaty kungfu fighter - like Neo - you will actually know kungfu!
    Last edited by GourmandHomme; 21st January 2009 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post

To go back to the topic (sorry for diverting things there, though scent and flavour are intrinsically linked) I wonder if we ever will have fragrances that give us hope, strength, fortitude, compassion...?
    Maybe. when coin ferrel's The New World was released in Japan, the theater employed smell o vision technoloy where the odors were downloaded to a LAN and projected through drums of oil that were hooked up to the projector to give perfect timing and concentration.

info is all over the web on it but: "Scents included: floral for romance scenes,peppermint & rosemary for tear-jerking moments,orange & grapefruit for joyful sequences, and eucalyptus, tea tree & herbs for angry scenes."

just sayin'

dont know if they were effective though. some people love the smell of pine. at work, during christmas, the cedar, balsam, miseletoe, pine candles were flying off the shelf. suppose for some i was a nostalgic, homey smell. for me, its an unconscionably offensive odor that triggers my gag reflex just thinking about it. i LOVE the smell of ozone, which some find offensive. i think the smell of cooking bacon is fan-f*cking-tastic, while a vegetarian or someone who wont eat pork finds repulsive.

its such a subjective experience, more so than with sound and color. i dont think there is a universal good smell. but its an interesting idea for smell to be used in advertising as the selling mechanism.