Code of Conduct

Default cocaine and perfume

not having tried the drug myself, I was wondering whether insuffulating cocaine has a detrimental, positive or neutral effect to being able to pick out various scents thrown at you by a fragrance.

This question is odd but it arose when I noticed surgeons using medical cocaine to treat a nasal blockage before surgery deeper in the cavity. Perhaps it could help in some circumstances not others?

I understand cocaine has a numbing effect around the time of inhalation but are there benefits after?

This may be a touchy subject I'm not sure how the general basenotes public will take it. I'm not advocating drug use despite a possible favorable outcome towards cocaine, I'm purely asking an objective question.

If you don't want to reply as you have first hand experience and don't want to make it public, please pm me as I'm quite interested.

Thanks
    'Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a fatal lack of imagination" Oscar Wilde

Default Re: cocaine and perfume

You donīt smell better, probably worse after using it because it leaves this weird sensation like you inhaled a bunch of vicks nosesticks without the peppermint scent. The effect is like you had a cold and your nose is blocked and then suddenly its no longer blocked, but without the cold..it feels strange and unpleasant. You dont smell better.

When those effects wear off you donīt notice anything regarding your sense of smell, not that I recall anyway.

Also, if doctors use it they monitor patients very well I donīt recommend experimenting with highly addictive substances because it might help another hobby. And with not recommending it I actually think itīs bloody stupid to even consider it.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

As I understand it:
    Cocaine stimulates release of adreneline into the system. Adreneline is mostly intended to get the body into "optimal mode" for short term fight or flight so as to eliminate or escape dangers. While there are high levels of adreneline in the body, the sinuses will likely be clear, any swelling of membranes reduced to allow short term ease of breathing. This will only last for the duration of the raised adreneline levels.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Also because of the adrenaline you don't stop to go and smell the roses . If you want sensory enhancing experiences there are much nicer and less addictive ways to do that Even just avoiding scents for a while and giving your nose some rest for a few days, meditating an hour with your eyes closed and then smelling sample vial will probably give you a stronger smelling experience too.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I knew a lot of people back in the 80's who did a lot of coke. The ones with the worst problem had frequent nosebleeds and were always snuffling like someone with a cold or allergy will do.

Btw, many of those people have heart trouble now or are no longer with us.

Somehow I don't see how this could be anything but bad for the olfactory receptors, which are pretty close to the nasal cavity.

I have often wondered if this could be at least part of the reason for the overpowering fragrances of the 80's, since so many of the fashion/music/film world was heavily into coke. I mean, what else could possibly be responsible for "Georgio" except a frozen nose?
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

From a medical standpoint, you will likely suffer from some inflammation after the initial rush. This will make it more difficult for you to smell. You also run the risk of developing anosmia, possibly permanently and of course, this keeps you from ever experiencing any fragrance at all.
    For any reason, I'd say avoid the drug like the plague. There is absolutely no conceivable way this can benefit you or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    From a medical standpoint, you will likely suffer from some inflammation after the initial rush. This will make it more difficult for you to smell.
    Did it a few times a few years ago . I can confirm this. Stupid drug. Won't ever do it again. Messes up MY nose for a minimum of one week, if not two. Particularly detrimental to a person into fragrances!

Now, fragrances on magic mushrooms... whoa.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Thumbs down Re: cocaine and perfume

I have never, and will never, sniff this trash.
    And I strongly suspect the long term damage to the nasal tissues/sinuses will prove detrimental in the long term, not just to ones health, but to ones sense of smell well before that.

Quick Reply: If anything, cocaine will greatly diminish your ability to smell, short term for sure, and possibly long term (see below)

Long Reply: In the medical world, cocaine is used as a topical anesthetic for eye, nose and throat surgery. It works fast and well. It constricts blood vessels so there is less bleeding during the surgery, and it blocks nerve endings so there is less/no pain.
    In the perfume world, we don't want constricted blood vessels and blocked nerve endings because we want to smell things...!
    When coke is used recreationally, there is a lot of inflammation/edema (partly because of impurities) along with the vasoconstriction, etc... Over time the recurrent inflammation/lack of blood flow to the nose can lead to infection, chronic ulcers, perforation of the septum, and in general, big time damage to bone, cartilage and mucous membranes. OUCH! ** This is in no way a good thing for those of us who want to appreciate the fragrances of life. And as someone already posted, cocaine use, when it is habitual, can lead to partial or complete anosmia!!! So, IXNE on the ainecocne ('pig' latin for nix the cocaine)!!!!!

** An analogy that may be particularly useful and gruesome is what happens to 'meth heads' (methamphetamine addicts) when they use methamphetamine (in any way, shape, or form). Over time (and it really doesn't take that long..just a steady diet of meth for a few months), blood flow to the vessels of the teeth and gums is severely compromised, and is one of the main reasons for METH MOUTH (just google that term..but be forewarned, it's nasty) which involves extensive tooth decay, gum disease, ulceration, abscess formation...you get the picture. It's gross and similar to what can happen within the nasal cavity with cocaine. .
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 15th January 2009 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typo