Code of Conduct

Default Madini oils, need help!

I am going to place an order soon for some Madini oils. After doing as much research as I can find I have it narrowed to six scents. One will be a bottle, and the others will be samples. The bottle will be a blind buy, so I wanted to know what you guys thought was the best one. The bottle I was thinking of is Ambergris. And the samples are Olive flowers, Papillon, Alma de Alma, Musk Gazelle and Sahara. Of the six what do you think is the best blind buy? And am I missing anymore must try samples? Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Madini oils, need help!

Ambergris is pure incense,very longlasting but too heavy and potent for my taste..
    Alma de Alma and Sahara will be my first choices followed from the Olive Flowers.

Blog Entries

There are 2 review threads on this: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=195170 http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=194494 Alma di Alma is beautiful a great form of Miss Dior, Sahara is very dry, well named kind of like Tauer's Dessert Morrocan, Aicha Aicha is a lovely floral close to Quelques Fleurs, which I liked. Papillion didn't leave an impression on me - just don't remember it but it might be good. Hananae was one of my favorites and I seem to remember liking Chipre, even with the odd spelling.
    Last edited by kumquat; 8th January 2009 at 10:54 PM.

Okay, opposite take: I don't like Alma de Alma or Sahara, and do enjoy the Shalimar-esque Olive Flowers. And I find Ambergris to be weird and "potent" but also quite great. It smells like smoke, shells, resin -- very dark and natural.

Blog Entries

I liked Ambergris, too. It is dark, rich and royal in it's depth. I agree, Alma is an acquired taste. If you don't like chypres, or Miss Dior you won't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chestnut View Post
    Okay, opposite take: I don't like Alma de Alma or Sahara, and do enjoy the Shalimar-esque Olive Flowers. And I find Ambergris to be weird and "potent" but also quite great. It smells like smoke, shells, resin -- very dark and natural.
    I agree with this description of Ambar Gris - it's very SMOKY and smells nothing like ambergris or even like most "ambers." It's good for layering with other things but I never ever wear it by itself.

Olive Flowers is very like Shalimar but lacks sweetness ... or I should say, my bottle at first was very like Shalimar but changed over a few months to lack the sweetness it had at first.

Sahara is sunny, kind of ambery base with a bright citrus top and some green/spicy notes.

Musk Gazelle is great if you like your musk very rich, animalic and rather sweet.

Wow! Thank you guys so much for all the great info. I wish they would let you get more than 5 samples at a time. It's going to be really hard to make up my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by caribou55313 View Post
    I agree with this description of Ambar Gris - it's very SMOKY and smells nothing like ambergris or even like most "ambers." It's good for layering with other things but I never ever wear it by itself.
    Caribou, I'm curious -- what do you layer it with?

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Madini oils, need help!

Quote Originally Posted by ChantillyLace View Post
    Wow! Thank you guys so much for all the great info. I wish they would let you get more than 5 samples at a time. It's going to be really hard to make up my mind!
    You can get 10 or 15 or 20, each group of 5 is a separate item ($20 or so).

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    You can get 10 or 15 or 20, each group of 5 is a separate item ($20 or so).
    Really? On their website it says please only one set of samples (5) per order. Maybe it's new.

Thats why I was going to get a full bottle. Shipping is $5 for samples only or $5 with samples and one bottle. I dont know, maybe I'm going about this wrong. Trying to get the most for my money.

Blog Entries

: SORRY!!! I was wrong about that. I just checked. I guess they do have you over a barrel on that one. We have to be very systematic. One thing to note is that the bottles are very powerful. I have the large ones but they are still full. One drop of the oil is all you need. I think a small bottle would be a lifetime supply.

I will make it a small. Thanks kumquat.

I used to sell Madini oils and Ambergris was one of the favorites of most people. I agree the Olive Flowers is nice and yes very similer to Shalimar. If you want a new experience then I would go for the Ambergris and no it does not smell like real ambergris more like a very heavy amber accord. Or the Sahara. The Musk Ghazelle is very musky and has a slight grapyness to it, and has a some what hippy smell to it.

One that is very pleasant is Kamary. It is supposed to be rose and sandalwood, but it smells very close to the oud I have from Egypt. It is soft, woody, long-lasting, and has hints of rose and saffron.
    But please, go to the Madini threads that kumquat listed. We reviewed huge number of Madini perfumes there.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 10th January 2009 at 12:12 AM.

The threads were very helpful! It's just so hard to pick, and try to guess what will work on me. I dont order online very much.

The white musk and vanille are very nice. The are simple but unique. The vanille is not pure vanilla it has something else in it which totally changes it from a sweet smell to something slightly musky.