Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Email from Editions de Parfums regarding French Lover / Bois d'Orage

I'd seen several people mention that French Lover / Bois d'Orage had been reformulated in a 9% concentration, and considering it's been one of my absolute favorites over the past year I figured I'd look into trying the 9% incarnation of it (My bottle is labeled 7%, and was purchased at Barney's) I'd emailed Editions de Parfums and asked for some explanation of this, and here is the reply I received"

"Thank you for yourr message.

French Lover was produced for a small series intended for the press in 7% for the Press launch. Then Mister Frederic Malle decided to put it at a concentration of 9% for the public launch in the Parisian Shops in June 2007. However, the first bottles in Europe were false, labelled at 7%, since the new labels carry the mention of the right concentration : 9%. In the United States , the concentration of Bois d'Orage was always 9% since the launch in October 2007.

In hope to have answered to your question.
    Best regards
    Claire"

This might be old news around these parts by now but I figured I'd pass it on in case anyone else was interested in the 7% -- 9% bottle differences..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Email from Editions de Parfums regarding French Lover / Bois d'Orage

Thanks.... I know this has been an ongoing 'issue' among those of us with little else to worry about ;-)

(I'm not kidding - really - I'm making fun of the fact that I really do wonder about this stuff)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Email from Editions de Parfums regarding French Lover / Bois d'Orage

I had started a thread a few weeks back seeking to know what the numbers meant on the labels of the Frederic Malle bottles...I thought that they would obviously indicate the perfume strength but they vary so much on the same fragrance that it makes one wonders why Malle has changed perfume concentration so many times?

I have put pics in the thread that show Noir Epices in 12%, 12.5% and even 16.5% concentration.

here is the thread http://community.basenotes.net/showt...=numbers+malle

then why does my Bois d'Orage from Barneys say 7% on it? was that mislabeled as well?

it looks just like this: http://www.barneys.com/Bois%20d+Orag...efault,pd.html

" In the United States , the concentration of Bois d'Orage was always 9% since the launch in October 2007.

In hope to have answered to your question.
    Best regards
    Claire"
    Last edited by TheCure; 9th January 2009 at 06:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Email from Editions de Parfums regarding French Lover / Bois d'Orage

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

I had the 7% french lover which i found great but a bit weak, probably a 7/10

I went lately to my Malle dealer and tried the frag again. It was the 9% concentration and it is amazing. IT has just the sillage the old one was lacking of. I bought a bottle straight away and gave my old 7% to a friend.

I know it might seem weird, but it does change a lot between the two.

I love this fragrance.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Though this story is very murky in its details, it seems most likely to involve a series of labeling mistakes by Frederic Malle. My guess is that after the never-ending string of e-mails this has generated they'll be more careful in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Just received a sample of this scent this morning and can't wait to try it tomorrow. And it looks like I should be in all day? The reviews in the directory make me feel like that
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

This is a ridiculous discussion. When I go to Barneys and peer into their little fridges, the bottles very clearly indicate 9%. But I suspect, even if I were to take photos and post them here, there would still be disbelievers. To each their own. Whether there are two different concentrations in the US and Europe and/or a label error, Bois d'Orage is currently, most definitely, indisputably 9%.

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 10th January 2009 at 05:13 PM.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Email from Editions de Parfums regarding French Lover / Bois d'Orage

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    This is a ridiculous discussion. When I go to Barneys and peer into their little fridges, the bottles very clearly indicate 9%. But I suspect, even if I were to take photos and post them here, there would still be disbelievers. To each their own. Whether there are two different concentrations in the US and Europe and/or a label error, Bois d'Orage is currently, most definitely, indisputably 9%.

TNMA
    7% and, believe man, i am sure!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes