Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Frags hated by many BNers that you like, and why.

The recent post about frags that are beloved by many BNers but that you don't like made me think that the opposite thread would be just as interesting. I'll start with One Man Show by Bogart. This is no award winner, but it's a creamy (not in a gourmand way) leather-like and incense frag that's certainly decent and may be worth a spot in a large rotation. Same goes for Quorom. Of course, it may be that many BNers are used to spraying at least 5 times per wearing, and that is not something I would do with these two frags. So why do I like them? They are different and do keep me involved (don't become boring). I won't say that either is full bottle worthy to me; I haven't decided yet. On the other hand, I really disliked Jacomo de Jacomo, because the powerful clove singularity doesn't let up for too long, and by that time I've had enough and am not interested in whatever remains.

Default Re: Frags hated by many BNers that you like, and why.

Joop Homme - fabulous scent.

While Azzaro's Chrome and Pure Vetiver aren't quite as reviled as Joop Homme, they're certainly much disliked here, but I think they're fabulous.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 9th January 2009 at 07:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Porsche Design The Essence: hated by plenty....in my mind, this was the BEST new fragrance of 2008 by a huuuuuuuuuge margin! oh well. your loss!

Boss In Motion. Many here say it smells like orange creamsicle, and it very well may with how much BNers like to spray! Twice is plenty for any frag I've ever come across.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

Oh, forgot to mention. By coincidence, I wore M7 Fresh one day then Dior's Higher the next. I found the drydowns similar, but I liked Higher better (more going on with the pear and wood). Both had a kind of watery quality that I'm not used to but the herbal elements saved the day in both cases (talking about the drydown). Now I wonder why M7 Fresh has been much better received on BN than Higher. Could it be that it's an M7 flanker (and perhaps that Higher is a rather presumptuous name). Also, consistent with what Renato said, I liked Joop!, but since I have some similar frags, I never got a bottle of it.

I really like Polo Black, which is reviled by many here. Why? Because it smells good! I just wish I could find it at a substantial discount from its normal selling price, but I’ll probably end up buying a bottle anyway regardless.
    Last edited by buzzley; 9th January 2009 at 05:18 AM.

When I posted that Fleur du Male is a ***** scent, it created a bit of contoversy.
    Varvatos Vintage has received bad ratings for what it is.
    Duro gets trashed more than what I would imagine.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

CologneJunkie is going to see this thread--and she likes Keneth Cole Reaction! Gasp! (We all like that scent now too, since she's a mod and all.)

Bigsly, I agree with you on three counts: One Man Show, Quorum, and Dior's Higher. I like 'em all. Great stuff, especially Quorum. I smell it and really have a hard time understanding how anyone could dislike it.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I absolutely love Versace's newest, Versace PH. Yes it's fairly simple, yes it's built on a common modern aquatic structure, but none of that matters because it's done so well. The transitions between top/heart/base are seamless and flawless. Longevity is great. It never ever smells sour or gets any off notes, and it's blended with finesse (the aquatic note is kept well in check, the sage of the heart blends effortlessly with a light and dry oud note, the cedar is kept way in the background, etc).

It's a tart rather than sweet freshness, and to me it really does evoke images of the mediterranean as well as white water. When sprayed on forearms or exposed skin the clarity of the drydown is amazing to me, as the dry oud note mixes with a more bitter than we're used to (especially compared to creeds) labdanum/ambergris note, with just a hint of tonka in the background to prevent it from getting sour, but not enough to carry it into the sweet territory. An excellent excellent fresh/summer scent that perfectly straddles the casual/formal line, as well as the heavy/light line.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 9th January 2009 at 06:16 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Acqua di Giò pour Homme.

There's a reason this is the #1 seller - it's very good.
    Fresh and long lasting.

Buzzley - if you want Polo Black or Double Black, check out my sale thread (hint hint).

I happen to like Allure Homme Sport, Azzaro Pure Lavender, and A*Men on the designer side. Although not discussed often, I like some fragrances that have been panned in the reviews, like ELO's Vraie Blonde, Malle's Angelique Sue La Pluie, and Montale's Chypre Vanille (which no one's ever mentioned as far as I remember)

I like Guerlain Homme
    I also like SL 5 o'clock ..... and Louve
    Cruel Intentions
    Piment Brulant

I happen to find the mucho trashed Vierges et Toreros by Etat Libre to be quite amazing, but I think the Rod Stewart album Foolish Behavior is as good as Every Picture Tells a Story.

CdG Anbar - most people find it smells like cleaning fluid. I think it's an eau de cologne style fragrance with a nice warm touch.

Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond - it's been called everything from dead fish and bug spray on one hand, to a sweet, bland amber on another. I love it. It's the scent of dry grass in summer. Sadly, I've become allergic to it and have to trade it away.

*whisper*

I like Laura Biagotti's Acqua di Roma and the generally detested Warm Cotton by Clean...

Too many to list, see my wardrobe.

Why? Because I have such an excellent taste.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I think its Boss Bottled for me... I don't know why everyone hates this... but this is my holy grail....
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

Put me in for a couple of Puig's creations. I'll see your Quorum and raise you an Agua Brava.

On the other side of the BN Popularity fence, I do NOT care for L'Anarchiste.

Sur la Plage

Kouros
    A*Men
    Fleur du Male

Why? Because I like the way they smell.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Versace PH
    Armani Mania
    Emporio Armani He(reviews aren't bad but I never hear much positive on the board)
    Versace Jeans Couture

All of these do well on me and...especially Mania..and I always get people telling me how I smell nice and they make me feel good.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 9th January 2009 at 02:32 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I absolutely love Versace's newest, Versace PH. Yes it's fairly simple, yes it's built on a common modern aquatic structure, but none of that matters because it's done so well. The transitions between top/heart/base are seamless and flawless. Longevity is great. It never ever smells sour or gets any off notes, and it's blended with finesse (the aquatic note is kept well in check, the sage of the heart blends effortlessly with a light and dry oud note, the cedar is kept way in the background, etc).

It's a tart rather than sweet freshness, and to me it really does evoke images of the mediterranean as well as white water. When sprayed on forearms or exposed skin the clarity of the drydown is amazing to me, as the dry oud note mixes with a more bitter than we're used to (especially compared to creeds) labdanum/ambergris note, with just a hint of tonka in the background to prevent it from getting sour, but not enough to carry it into the sweet territory. An excellent excellent fresh/summer scent that perfectly straddles the casual/formal line, as well as the heavy/light line.
    Yep, Versace Pour Homme for me and...
    Mugler - Ice Men, Love me some synthetic iced coffee and patchouli!

Last edited by jenson; 3rd December 2009 at 04:54 PM.

I like the much maligned Guerlain Vetiver Extreme.
    For swap/sale: Vintage Tiffany for Men, Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade, Loewe Pour Homme, Pure Malt 2013, Floris Vetiver, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

I'm with Ruggles - ELO's Vierges et Toreros is good stuff, and to Galamb - Bois Blond does have it's fans amongst the PG faithful.

Another vote for Versace pour Homme... does that mean it's liked enough to not be hated by most?

I like my fresh, aquatics! Acqua di Gio's on my list of ones I like.

Deseo for Men another fresh and woody one.

And I like lots of woody-amber based designer scents like Explorer and 1881 Amber.

Lacoste Essential has ho-hum reviews, some say it's boring, undetectable etc. But I love the stuff. It smells great on me, and just like they advertise, the top notes will reappear when your body heats up.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Another vote for Versace pour Homme... does that mean it's liked enough to not be hated by most?
    I like my fresh, aquatics! Acqua di Gio's on my list of ones I like.

Deseo for Men another fresh and woody one.

And I like lots of woody-amber based designer scents like Explorer and 1881 Amber.
    This social experiment has been great because there are some that many love and others...like Guerlain Vetiver that got smashed in the other thread. So I'm thinking so people just aren;t as blunt about their likes and dislikes.

I like Explorer too but I wish the initial burst stayed longer for me.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 9th January 2009 at 03:44 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I really like Polo Explorer despite the all the hate it gets around here.

I also really like Kenneth Cole Reaction, sure it doesn't last long...but neither does Eau d'Orange Vert, and I think Reaction is a better, much more modern version of a cologne.

Throw Fleur du Male in also.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Wow, surprised to see Versace PH getting so much love 'round these parts.

Another one for me is Grain de Plaisir. It can be a bit moody at times in the drydown, sometimes getting a bit sour, but when it wants to behave it's amazing and a great great summer scent. Starts out fresh and lemony and progresses into a warm and nutty heart with a hint of celery and then a raw oakmoss overload in the base. I've found that I only enjoy it in the summer though.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I always rather liked the hugely detested Joop! Homme. It's not a top favourite of mine by any means but I like the "unusual-ness" of it - no other frag that I know of smells even remotely like it and I don't think it's unpleasant.

Azzaro Pure Vetiver - It seems to be disliked because it has "vetiver" in it's name and it doesn't have much vetiver. But as a fresh, warm weather scent it's quite nice. Would it be better liked if it was named something else?

Guerlain Homme - not very exciting or origianl, but still quite nice. If it was released by another House, it would be better received, I think.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 9th January 2009 at 05:47 PM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Basenotes Plus

I really like Guerlain Homme.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Gucci Pour Homme II
    PG Bois Blond
    PG Harmatan Noir - good chemistry on this one
    L'eau d'Issey PH
    Last edited by moltening; 9th January 2009 at 08:04 PM.

Soooo many, but here goes:

Kouros (Always gets me tons of compliments.)

Bois de Miel (", especially from straight gals of all races and ages.)

Noir Epices (", almost always from other gay men.)

Canoe (" . . . lots of "Oh, I remember that one fondly!"-type compliments.)

Azzaro pour Homme (")

Versace L'Homme (")

L'Eau d'Issey (Praise, praise, praise. P.S.: This is a great frag for getting one laid, too.)

Fahrenheit (Lots of nice comments . . . for some reason, though, almost exclusively from black women.)

Joop! (Oodles of compliments.)

Pi by Givenchy (")

Both Aramis 900 and its kissing cousin, Aromatics Elixir (")

Both Cinnabar and its kissing cousin, JHL (")

Polo (", but only if it's not poured on.)

The Dreamer (Scads of nice comments.)

Lagerfeld Classic (", especially from my baby sister.)

I am -- as most if not all of you already know by now -- an incorrigible and unrepentant compliment whore.
    (Yours Truly would likely wear dog shit and rose petals in garlands around my neck if only said combo somehow managed to garner him bucketloads of compliments.)

When I was in high school, I actually wore nothing but Avon Black Suede for a while (even though I didn't like it) simply because it managed to get me SO many compliments. (And these from girls and women, no less -- and, hey, I'm gay!) I would likely wear a fragrance even if the only people who had complimented me on it had been Idi Amin, the local bag lady who wears tin foil on her head to keep out Martian signals, and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

The only one I wouldn't wear, no matter what? A*men, and this only because it quite literally makes me physically ill.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 9th January 2009 at 08:50 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Oh yeah, KC Reaction gets another vote from me. Terrible, terrible longevity but horray! for the scent.

Off-Scenter

Kouros comes to mind immediately, followed by Ciel and Une Fleur de Cassie (both of which might be more polarizing than "hated").

RL Polo Black;because I like it;made for the younger crowd they say;thats true because i am just 53 at the moment.
    Cerutti PH 2007; because I love it,nobody ever wrote anything about it while its very special.

Another from me is Davidoff Adventure. Love the sesame note and the evolution in this one. Longevity on me is great although it does stay fairly close to the skin.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

It's very trendy to bash anything that's become too popular. But hey, if it smells good, it smells good. So in that category, for me the ones that jump out are:
    AdG
    L'Eau d'Issey (how anyone cannot be enraptured by this glorious thing is beyond me!)

Another... Guerlain Homme. Why is it held in deep suspicion by so many? Because it doesn't smell like Mitsouko? The only thing I don't like about it is the totally unimaginative, boring, scandalous NAME. If another designer/perfume house brings out a "homme" or "for Man" or anything based around "Man", "Men", "Homme" or "Uomo" or any variation on that in any language, I will boycott it!

OH! CK Crave. Its worst sin was its bottle. People talk about it as the worst scent ever while in reality is a fruity scent with some very elegant and well balanced woods. It has a very nice evolution.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I'm another member of the Givenchy Pi fan club.
    I have always liked it and continue to like it.
    The other one I wear that doesn't seem to get much love is Carthusia Uomo.
    It is my favorite rosewood scent and it always smells wonderful on me.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Thumbs up Re: Frags hated by many BNers that you like, and why.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I'm another member of the Givenchy Pi fan club..

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I'm another member of the Givenchy Pi fan club.
    I have always liked it and continue to like it.
    Pi gets both of us here more positive comments than any gourmand we've encountered. It has massive sillage and is almost "bakery like" in its sheer vanilla-laden deliciousness. (Or so we've both been told many times over, although not in those exact words.)

One straight gal we know told my partner (with a grin, of course) that whenever he wears Pi she wants (!!!) to lick him.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 9th January 2009 at 09:14 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

While I've never owned Le Male, I've never hated it as much as most folks here do... I also like Vetiver Extreme more than any other Guerlain Vetiver. I used to own Pi back in the day, so I don't have bad things to say about it...

KC Reaction - sure it doesn't last long, and neither do a bunch of others
    Tommy Bahama St. Barts - tropical fruit - what's not to like? Sir Slarty must have had a bad batch.
    Davidoff Good Life - one of the best subtle green frags
    Gendarme Sky - after reading the reviews I was worried I wouldn't like it (blind buy as usual). But oh yeah, I do.
    Sean john Unforgivable Multi-Platinum - one of the best for sure, and I don't give a damn if anybody thinks it's a rip-off.

Why? Cause I'm different.
    Last edited by aeromatic; 10th January 2009 at 05:06 AM.

My top secret guilty scent (because it didn't get much love here) is Hugo Energise.

I like very much the lovely whiff of coconut coming out of the bottle (I wonder why it is not mentioned in the note pyramid?). A great scent for a humid country like mine.

Even if it is my SOTD, you won't see me mentioning it here.
    Last edited by xmen; 10th January 2009 at 01:24 PM.

One from my wardrobe is " DERRICK " because its spicy , yet cool subtle in sweetness , non synthetic & smells like nothing else I have ever tried !

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

YSL L'Homme..... and I'll just duck any chairs flying at me now!

Chrome catches alot of hatred, and while I don't own or wear it, I like it.
    I think of it as a more masculine Silver Mountain water. They both share a very long-lasting synthetic heart note, that is sharp, clean, cold and metallic. SMW, for me, ruins this note by adding very shrill, b!tchy feminine notes, and this defeats any good they did with the gris and black currant, which mellow and smooth the clean cold metallic "fresh note" it shares with Chrome.

2 more well-hated frags I like are Polo Sport & Cool Water. Although newer formulations of Polo Sport have seemingly none of the effervescent mintiness I really like, and new Cool Water has far too much lavender, my older stock bottles I really like.

And Sean John Unforgivable Multi-Platinum is better than Wall Street, imho.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 10th January 2009 at 01:31 PM.

I believe this post of yours makes me your arch-nemesis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    Azzaro Pure Vetiver - It seems to be disliked because it has "vetiver" in it's name and it doesn't have much vetiver. But as a fresh, warm weather scent it's quite nice. Would it be better liked if it was named something else?
    This is literal poison to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by snifferdog View Post
    YSL L'Homme..... and I'll just duck any chairs flying at me now!
    Why? It gets its fair share of love around here.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Why? It gets its fair share of love around here.
    Because it's also got as great a share of bloodthirsty haters who are ready to impale anyone who likes it with a pitchfork.

Old Spice

Quote Originally Posted by snifferdog View Post
    Because it's also got as great a share of bloodthirsty haters who are ready to impale anyone who likes it with a pitchfork.
    Really?I've seen nothing but love here.
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Really?I've seen nothing but love here.
    I agree, I'm sure there are people that dislike it, but on these boards its constantly praised.

Hmm, my impression from reading the review page of YSL L'Homme is that many thought it was a cheap generic sell out from a Great house, thus my impression was also that people hated it (at least from an aesthetic perspective).
    Last edited by karisuma; 11th January 2009 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    Hmm, my impression from reading the review page of YSL L'Homme is that many thought it was a cheap generic sell out from a Great house, thus my impression was also that people hated it (at least from an aesthetic perspective).
    Precisely, and the detractors are quite adamant about its lack of sophistication/structure/depth etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    CologneJunkie is going to see this thread--and she likes Keneth Cole Reaction! Gasp! (We all like that scent now too, since she's a mod and all.)
    That's right *cracks knuckles*. I'm a Reaction fangirl & proud of it! SirSlarty wins points.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Black XS pour Homme catches quite a bit of flak over here, but I like it because it has character even though it smells innocent, young and fruity, and for me it's devoid of any negative associations. Very easy to wear.

I'm sure if I started posting here, I could fill up the topic. I guess I'm easy to please fragrance-wise.