Code of Conduct

Default Where to buy Chanel online? (but mostly an introduction)

I started almost two months ago with zero fragrance knowlege or experience and a modest curiosity. Thanks in large part to the Basenotes community, I slowly started to become educated and have become addicted to this fascinating hobby. Note: my first hand scent experience has been restricted to whatever is currently available in a typical American Mall on the West Coast - via Macy's, Nordstom, and JCPenny/Sephora.

I made what I think of as a few rookie mistakes. My first love was Kenneth Cole Reaction before I understood what dry down was(rotten fruit salad anyone?). I experienced flings with Diesel Plus Plus, Chrome Legend, Polo Explorer and Tommy Bahama Very Cool. I learned that there were scents out there that were spectacular on a card, but were unpleasant on my skin, specifically Vera Wang, and Armani Code.

I felt my tastes began to grow and perhaps get more sophisticated in that I could now recognize notes that I consistently liked. I remain in limbo on Hanae Mori (is it just too strong?) and Terre d'Hermes (I don't think I'm experienced enough to fully grasp this one yet).

Finally, I found three that I simply love:

Versace Pour Homme Incredible! Spectacular on a card, even better on my skin.
    Chanel Allure Homme So complex, like a symphony and I love every movement.
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste formidible, distinctly masculine, clearly above my head.

I'm wondering where I can buy the Chanels online for less than the Macy's counter price. I'd appreciate any recommendation you may have.

p.s
    I have not worn fragrance at work; it's a small office and I fear being overpowering. I wonder if using something like Versace Pour Homme deodorant stick would be subtle enough to be small office suitable, and still create better situations when venturing into the world. Any advice is greatly appreciated...and a giant thanks to Basenotes.
    Last edited by CaLTalian; 9th January 2009 at 05:21 AM.

Default Re: Where to buy Chanel online? (but mostly an introduction)

You learned the most important thing early, my friend, you went out and sniffed and found three that your nose told you are really magic for you. Damn, apply the appropriate sports metaphor here, because whatever sport it is, you did the action that brings the biggest score.

Learning scents is as simple as one person sniffing many scents and letting one or a few take you. It's great to have found those three, and they're fine finds. I like Platinum Egoiste especially.

It's hard to find Chanel online for cheap. Sad but true, but unlike many of the large brands Chanel somehow keeps very tight control of the sale of its products and it's hard to find them cheap. If I knew of a place that has them cheap, I'd tell you, but I've got to warn you that I'm skeptical that you'll be able to find one.

It's a tough call about how much can be worn in a small office without being overpowering. Experience is the best and only reliable teacher. Try out the deodorant only on Monday and see how that goes. Try a spray of the edt the next day, and so on. Only your nose, your observations, and your co-workers can tell you. We don't know because we won't be there.

Trying your best is the best one can do. If you over do it remember, it's only a day. There is tomorrow and all the rest of the working days of your life and they'll be different and better because you'll be wary of making the mistake again.

Very best, and keep sniffing!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Welcome to BN.... sounds like you've got a good start on things.

You won't find any significant Chanel discounts, but sites like beautyencounter and sometimes eBay sellers will have slight discounts. The sales boards here are pretty good as well.

I also work in a small office, and even though everyone has to do it in their own time, I would encourage you not to worry about wearing fragrances at work... as long as you don't flagrantly overdo it, no one should mind. You'd also be surprised how close many fragrances stay to the skin once they've been on for an hour.

My recommendation to all beginners is to order samples (again, beautyencounter has many) or minis (perfumeemporium has lots of these) of many different fragrances so you can fine tune what you like and don't like.

Yes, the bad thing is Chanel is rarely discounted, but the bright side is, with a few exceptions, most of them can be found at an upscale mall. They are certainly not hard to test if you're near the suburbs of a big city.

Polo Explorer is a nice scent, I wouldn't classified as a mistake.
    Anyway Platinum Egoiste is an exceptional fragrance and I wouldn't say that chanel is expensive.

Thanks for the replies and information. I'm wondering about the intensity of deodorant stick...am I accurate in assuming they're typically a large step back in intensity from even the after shave?

Quote Originally Posted by CaLTalian View Post
    Thanks for the replies and information. I'm wondering about the intensity of deodorant stick...am I accurate in assuming they're typically a large step back in intensity from even the after shave?
    Very likely. I'd say certainly even. Their purpose is to make more money by putting the smell into something that does an underarm job while an eau de toilette's job is just to make you smell like the smell. There could exist some fragrance deodorants that last and project, so I can't say my doubts will be confirmed in every case, but if you want something that lasts and has sillage you want edt, in general.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.