Code of Conduct

Smile 1872 for Men or Homage by Amouage ?

1872 for Men or Homage by Amouage ?

Hello Guys, I wanted to get one of the two mentioned smellies, but don't know which one would suit me better. Could you please give me some advice on which one to get?

Here is what I'll be using this mentioned perfume for:

1- Special Occasions (One In Particular).
    2- Seducing PPL To The Great Art Of Perfumery.
    3- Just To Have One Uber Expensive Perfume.
    4- Getting Some Nice Compliments.

All in all I want to just get one perfume, that I'll keep specially for occasions which are very important to me.
    As always with me I just ask that, the Scent have excellent Silage, Longevity, and be able to get nice Complements from girls.

Thanks In Advance Guys For The Himalaya and Allure.
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 1872 for Men or Homage by Amouage ?

I haven't tried Homage, but 1872 is a complete waste of money. It's a nice fragrance the like you can easily get for $70 at any perfumery. It's also not particularly lasting. In fact the old Crown Perfumery Sandringham (still available at Parfums Raffy) - Crown is the house that Christian bought and then liquidated and on which his current perfumes are based in look and style - is a much better fragrance.

Homage, if Luca Turin can be believed (and he can't ) is something quite special:
    "At the impossibly swank launch in Muscat of Amouage’s two Jubilation scents, guests found, upon arrival in their hotel room, a limited-edition bottle in a plain white box labeled simply Attar, i.e. fragrance. When sampled, this anonymous thing turned out to be breathtakingly beautiful, at once lofty, tremendously radiant, and dizzyingly rich. Faced with such an apparition, most of us immediately look around for someone to share our impressions, and the more witnesses the better. I felt the usual mixture of pride and frustration at being in possession of a thing of beauty that few others could share. For company, I gave some to my eight-year old daughter who wears it on big occasions.

Thankfully, this mysterious Attar, renamed Homage, is now available in limited distribution. The firm tells me it was composed in house, chiefly of Cambodian oud, Taif rose and Omani silver frankincense, which is to say, the best and most expensive stuff around. Oman was making perfumes when Europeans only bathed once a year on doctor’s orders. While there, I had occasion to sample, both in shops and in the wake of passing Omanis, the local style of oud, a fiercely elegant accord of rose and wood that radiates aquiline beauty. For Homage, the firm has gone one better on the usual composition and added not only frankincense, which fills the composition with stratospheric light and ice, but apparently some citrus oils to make it more pleasing to Western noses. Mine finds it irresistible."

taken from the amouage homepage: http://www.amouage.com/news.php?ID=1

If "in-house" means this was not made by Duchaufour that would be a good sign (i.e. it might actually smell like a genuine Arabian perfume and not another Iso E Super and fruit loop floral blend a la Jubilation XXV or Paestum Rose - which can be nice every once in a while but sure ain't worth the cash you have to fork over, for an Amouage at least)

I would personally recommend trying to find a bottle of vintage (!!!) Czech&Speake No. 88. Though I would not know where to start looking.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 9th January 2009 at 08:24 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

1872 is just OK. For me, Homage is one of the best frags on the planet. My Wife and I share this treasure.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never sampled 1872, but I went into mourning after I had used the last of my Homage samples. It is absolutely beautiful. I exhort you to sample it. Get two vials and wear it for a week or two. Kudos to thebeck, I could never share it!
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

^^ lol thanks guys, can you tell me analavande/thebeck if its more made for the female side or male side?
    ^^ thanks thegoodlife, I'll keep that in mind... I'll sample both of them again... since they both aren't cheap... give me some more info on Czech&Speake No. 88 and where I can find a copy. thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deadhacker View Post
    ^^ lol thanks guys, can you tell me analavande/thebeck if its more made for the female side or male side?
    ^^ thanks thegoodlife, I'll keep that in mind... I'll sample both of them again... since they both aren't cheap... give me some more info on Czech&Speake No. 88 and where I can find a copy. thanks in advance.
    There's good reviews in the directory. It's a rose-sandalwood-spices masculine. The vintage version comes in a grey cylindrical box., not the current rectangular black one. It uses a differently sourced rose oil, which is simply incredible -dark, sensuous, liquorlike. If you know Tremlett's Black Tie, the rose oil used in that is similar tothe old C&S(same manufacturer), though No. 88 is a more complex composition. I don't know where to find it. If I did, I'd buy it myself (I am left with new formulation only - nice enough, but nowhere close to the beauty of the original).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

^^ thanks Good_Life, I'll try looking for it in the directory. Wat would u say about it being compared to Le Labo's Rose 31, is it similar or is it weaker ?

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried 1872, and I didn't think it was anything special at all. From all the reports by BN members, all of whom have opinions I trust, Homage is some seriously good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Is Homage Attar a limited edition release? Atleast thats what it says on parfumsraffy website.

Yes it is a limited release

when i went to aedes, they told me back in december they only got 6 in originally and sold out they are expecting more end of jan/feb hopefully they said but no gurantees

if you want some get it while you can, chance it might not come back at all

Post Thanks / Like

Homage all the way...1872 is nothing more than generic.

I'm nearly teary-eyed just thinking about how beautiful this must be. I feel that little "must have it" sensation in my stomach. Can anyone explain how this compares to other rose/oud perfumes many of us know such as some of the Montales. I'm sure it "doesn't compare" but perhaps a few words about it. I'm dying of curiosity.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love for my husband to wear this--but only if he had his own bottle.
    Because of it's limited release, it is at the top of my list for acquiring -- even over my beloved Guerlains.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Post Thanks / Like

Neither, spend the money on a class in decisiveness.
    Last edited by surreality; 9th January 2009 at 06:02 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Talking Re: 1872 for Men or Homage by Amouage ?

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Neither, spend the money on a class in decisiveness.
    ^^ lolz, I love it Surreality.. Where would one find such a beautiful class?

Smile Re: 1872 for Men or Homage by Amouage ?

Quote Originally Posted by analavande View Post
    I would love for my husband to wear this--but only if he had his own bottle.
    Because of it's limited release, it is at the top of my list for acquiring -- even over my beloved Guerlains.

^^ Analavande How did you manage samples of this?

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    I'm nearly teary-eyed just thinking about how beautiful this must be. I feel that little "must have it" sensation in my stomach. Can anyone explain how this compares to other rose/oud perfumes many of us know such as some of the Montales. I'm sure it "doesn't compare" but perhaps a few words about it. I'm dying of curiosity.
    ^^ nthny, agreed all the way bro...

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Get Homage, even though it's not really my 'style.' But I have to admit that it's "pedestal-worthy."

1872 for Men is just overpriced. Personally, I am just not a fan of Clive Christian.

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    Get Homage, even though it's not really my 'style.' But I have to admit that it's "pedestal-worthy."

1872 for Men is just overpriced. Personally, I am just not a fan of Clive Christian.
    Have You Sampled Homage? and if so what do you mean by its not my "style" ?

I think I'm gonna look at Black Aoud and Straight To Heaven also... if I don't like Homage..

Post Thanks / Like

1872 for men is very mediocre and simply not worth the money -- its available at many Saks.

I have only tried 0.25ml of Homage .. smelled pretty heavy to me, with a bucketload of rich sweet Taif Rose oil (which is sweeter than even damascus rose). It immediately reminded me of the attar/rose oils I had encountered in the UAE. Strangely it seemed low on longevity. Unfortunately the 0.25ml wasn't enough for me to completely analyse it but it still seemed more interesting than 1872 men.

You can also try procuring one of those uber exclusive and bizarre JAR perfumes..
    -

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    The Montales are much more drier and medicinal oriented aoud note. In addition their use of sandalwood in many of their aoud scents gives them a harsh and dark texture to my nose. It always seems as if the aoud is front and center in Montales, with the rose underneath.

Homage, is much more citrusy, wet, dewy. Rose (and other florals) are very much at the top of the composition and the aoud (and frankincense and other resins) are 'underneath' the florals. You smell the aoud and florals mixing more when smelled from afar (rather than sniffed up close), which makes it so sexy to catch a whiff of yourself. I personally don't like applying perfume oil, but I would make an exception for Homage. It's fantastic. Having said that, I think it's incredibly overpriced.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

^^ thanks guys, Mike would u say its more for females or Masculine more in line with Le Labo's Rose 31 ?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

^^ thanks guys, Mike would u say its more for females or Masculine more in line with Le Labo's Rose 31 ?
    I never gender define fragrances deadhacker. I think it's unisex. Men and women could easily wear it and love it or hate it.

It is NOTHING like Rose 31. The only thing they share in common is rose. IMO, it's more like A.maze by People of the Labyrinths or a rose based pure aoud oil.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th January 2009 at 12:26 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    1872 for men is very mediocre and simply not worth the money -- its available at many Saks.

I have only tried 0.25ml of Homage .. smelled pretty heavy to me, with a bucketload of rich sweet Taif Rose oil (which is sweeter than even damascus rose). It immediately reminded me of the attar/rose oils I had encountered in the UAE. Strangely it seemed low on longevity. Unfortunately the 0.25ml wasn't enough for me to completely analyse it but it still seemed more interesting than 1872 men.

You can also try procuring one of those uber exclusive and bizarre JAR perfumes..
    I am glad I am not the only one who found longevity on Homage very short it only lasted about 5-6 hours on my wrists, which is extremely short for this $350 oil

for $350 I rather buy real agarwood from like oriscent to be honest or like you said maybe go for the JAR, I think Bolt of Lighting and Ferme tes Yeux was the ones i liked the most but I think they were around $500-750
    Last edited by denec; 11th January 2009 at 03:44 AM.

^^ Wat do u guys mean when u say JAR? well I'm going to smell Homage on Tuesday and I'll try to smell the 1872 again... and I'll make up my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

JAR is only at Bergdof Goodman and is an experience you have to try at least once

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The Montales are much more drier and medicinal oriented aoud note. In addition their use of sandalwood in many of their aoud scents gives them a harsh and dark texture to my nose. It always seems as if the aoud is front and center in Montales, with the rose underneath.

Homage, is much more citrusy, wet, dewy. Rose (and other florals) are very much at the top of the composition and the aoud (and frankincense and other resins) are 'underneath' the florals. You smell the aoud and florals mixing more when smelled from afar (rather than sniffed up close), which makes it so sexy to catch a whiff of yourself. I personally don't like applying perfume oil, but I would make an exception for Homage. It's fantastic. Having said that, I think it's incredibly overpriced.
    Thanks Mike and ZZ looks like I'll have to eventually procure a drop
    Last edited by nthny; 11th January 2009 at 04:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ Analavande How did you manage samples of this?
    I got my sample from Luckyscent. I think it was 8.00 for 1/4 of 1ml. They don't have it currently, but both Luckyscent and The Perfumed Court say that they should have it mid January.
    Straight to Heaven By Kilian is quite lovely (I don't mean that in a feminine way). I just tested it today. I will be wearing it tomorrow for further observation. I think it will be on my list of 'must haves'. I got the sample from Luckyscent. Good scent hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by analavande View Post
    I got my sample from Luckyscent. I think it was 8.00 for 1/4 of 1ml. They don't have it currently, but both Luckyscent and The Perfumed Court say that they should have it mid January.
    Straight to Heaven By Kilian is quite lovely (I don't mean that in a feminine way). I just tested it today. I will be wearing it tomorrow for further observation. I think it will be on my list of 'must haves'. I got the sample from Luckyscent. Good scent hunting!

^^ would u think girls would like Straight to Heaven on guys more then Homage, or would girls like Homage better then StH ?

Post Thanks / Like

^^ would u think girls would like Straight to Heaven on guys more then Homage, or would girls like Homage better then StH ?
    don't get it for them...in all honesty save your money..

your just better off getting Body kouros or Armani Code

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post

^^ lolz I'm not getting it for them, I want one Frag that I keep for special occasions... one I don't care about the money scent. But I wouldn't mind if the girls like it ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

^^ lolz I'm not getting it for them, I want one Frag that I keep for special occasions... one I don't care about the money scent. But I wouldn't mind if the girls like it ;-)

in that case straight to heaven and Homage are really two entire different scents. I like Straight to heaven better then Homage but that is because I feel that is much more manly and better for a man but in all honest is not bottle worthy due to the price.

If you want my honest opinion you want a really nice great scent by Amouage get Jubilation or Dia for men. Both those scents are awesome and women do love them IMO

^^ I think Jubilation is a bit over my age. How about Lyric? (I'm 22)

Post Thanks / Like

Lyric, while very nice and sophisticated, tends a little toward the feminine and would suit someone a bit older than 22. Personally I think Lyric works best with a tux, it just seems like a very formal type of scent.

You don't need to get something very expensive for special occassions, chances are you'll smell just as good wearing something that costs $100 or less as you will if you wear something that costs $250 - $300. Also, most people won't be able to smell how much a perfume cost you, they will only know you spent $250 on something if a) they are also into perfumery and are familiar with what you are wearing or b) you tell them (which is kind of crass and definitely NOT in good taste).

If you really want something expensive that you will wear only on very special occassions, save your cash and get small decants of 2 or three of the fragrances you have mentioned in the thread. Then you will have the expensive perfumes, you'll have a variety and you will be able to test them over a longer period to help you decide which is FBW.
    Last edited by surreality; 12th January 2009 at 12:15 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post

You don't need to get something very expensive for special occassions, chances are you'll smell just as good wearing something that costs $100 or less as you will that costs $250 - $300. Also, most people won't be able to smell how much a perfume cost you, they will only know you spent $250 on something if a) they are also into perfumery and are familiar with what you are wearing or b) you tell them (which is kind of crass and definitely NOT in good taste).

If you really want something expensive that you will wear only on very special occassions, save your cash and get small decants of 2 or three of the fragrances you have mentioned in the thread. Then you will have the expensive perfumes, you'll have a variety and you will be able to test them over a longer period to help you decide which is FBW.
    Wisdom has prevailed! Good job gentlemen.

^^ thanks guys some awesome advice... I'll keep u informed what I choose.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, you want the ladies to be attracted to you, not your perfume. Second, younger women will probably not appreciate Homage (or Lyric) they may even think it way too feminine for a young man. StH is nice but not worth the money that By Killian is asking. 1872 is .... well it's in a nice bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, you want the ladies to be attracted to you, not your perfume. Second, younger women will probably not appreciate Homage (or Lyric) they may even think it way too feminine for a young man. StH is nice but not worth the money that By Killian is asking. 1872 is .... well it's in a nice bottle.
    You are right on the money and I second it

lol... thanks.. but tell me: "1872 is... well it's in a nice bottle".. does that mean, it smells nice to u?

Post Thanks / Like

lol... thanks.. but tell me: "1872 is... well it's in a nice bottle".. does that mean, it smells nice to u?
    My statement means exactly what it says, that I think the bottle is the best part of the fragrance. It doesn't smell bad but I don't particularly think it smells that nice or special. There are way better perfumes available for a fraction of the price. It seems a little generic for a $300+ perfume.

The WASP's that are attracted to this because of a) its price (especially for those that get the bottle that contains a gem set in the flacon) and b) because its not very challenging. It is subtle, understated, doesn't project off the skin very much, has little appreciable sillage and is constructed in a style that is meant to be easily wearable (i.e. read "easily wearable" as "sort of boring"). It did seem to last on my skin the one time I tested it as a sample from TPC.

In short it smells like you would expect an older gentleman from a moneyed family (old money not the noveau riche) to smell.
    Last edited by surreality; 11th January 2009 at 06:23 PM.

^^ thanks bud, for clearing that up.. so I've decided to go look at homage, if I like it and I can pull it off... then its homage, and if not.. I'm gonna look at Encre Noire and Boss Bottled as a combo purchase..

I would say Homage, except, it is a limited release, However, have you tried Amouage Gold for men, I've had a bottle for 10 years, I only wear it on special occasions. This is a much better, and cheaper purchase, still extra luxe. One of my favorites, stronger, more assertive presense, not unisex at all.
    I don't think the price is worth it for either scent, and in this economy, it's bad karma to waste money on a mediocre bottle of juice, or one that you're not gonna be able to find a couple of months from now. Try Gold.

^^ thanks bro, I'll keep it in mind... and i'll def smell gold next time. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

On wednesday I had the chance to try both. From a limited trying, on the left hand the first one, on the right the other one, I would choose 1872 by all means, sorry
    First of all, I had a girlfriend several years ago, and she wore Givenchy Amarige. I still have that scent in my nose after several close skin encounters, if you know what I mean. Now, Homage is far too similar to Amarige. Of course very well blended, very nice and sophisticated, but for me it's such a feminine scent, that I could not imagine a situation in which I would wear it. Of course our gender barriers are differents.
    Secondly, I can see that the majority of the opinions are against 1872, but I can't help: I find it an extremely gentlemanly scent, which simply has everything I ever dreamed of. We have a very nice guy carrying a shop in our capital, ha has received some kind of scent-related degree in Paris. He truly loves what he's doing, and gives small samples freely, even from Clive Christian bottles. We've discussed lots of scent-related things, he will send me a 1872 sample for me to be able to see the situation after more thorough analysis.

^^ thanks bro, I'll keep it in mind... and i'll def smell gold next time. :-)
    Don't even try. Gold has been ruined, i suspected a reformulation and a SA i know who only sells niche confirmed it. It lost it's aldehydes and civet and traded it for more frankincense, rose and myrrh. The new version is way weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    On wednesday I had the chance to try both. From a limited trying, on the left hand the first one, on the right the other one, I would choose 1872 by all means, sorry
    First of all, I had a girlfriend several years ago, and she wore Givenchy Amarige. I still have that scent in my nose after several close skin encounters, if you know what I mean. Now, Homage is far too similar to Amarige. Of course very well blended, very nice and sophisticated, but for me it's such a feminine scent, that I could not imagine a situation in which I would wear it. Of course our gender barriers are differents.
    Secondly, I can see that the majority of the opinions are against 1872, but I can't help: I find it an extremely gentlemanly scent, which simply has everything I ever dreamed of. We have a very nice guy carrying a shop in our capital, ha has received some kind of scent-related degree in Paris. He truly loves what he's doing, and gives small samples freely, even from Clive Christian bottles. We've discussed lots of scent-related things, he will send me a 1872 sample for me to be able to see the situation after more thorough analysis.
    ^^ I Think I like 1872 A Tad Bit Bitter Then Homage.. I Don't Know Why... But This Smells Like Something You Put On Someone Who Died.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by InconcievableZen View Post
    ...Gold has been ruined, i suspected a reformulation and a SA i know who only sells niche confirmed it. It lost it's aldehydes and civet...
    Not in the sample that I have! Goodness - it's a dirty, messy hunk of civet that lasts through a shower.