Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: 1872 for Men or Homage by Amouage ?

Quote Originally Posted by deadhacker View Post
    ^^ would u think girls would like Straight to Heaven on guys more then Homage, or would girls like Homage better then StH ?
    don't get it for them...in all honesty save your money..

your just better off getting Body kouros or Armani Code

Talking Re: 1872 for Men or Homage by Amouage ?

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post

^^ lolz I'm not getting it for them, I want one Frag that I keep for special occasions... one I don't care about the money scent. But I wouldn't mind if the girls like it ;-)
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

^^ lolz I'm not getting it for them, I want one Frag that I keep for special occasions... one I don't care about the money scent. But I wouldn't mind if the girls like it ;-)

in that case straight to heaven and Homage are really two entire different scents. I like Straight to heaven better then Homage but that is because I feel that is much more manly and better for a man but in all honest is not bottle worthy due to the price.

If you want my honest opinion you want a really nice great scent by Amouage get Jubilation or Dia for men. Both those scents are awesome and women do love them IMO

^^ I think Jubilation is a bit over my age. How about Lyric? (I'm 22)

Lyric, while very nice and sophisticated, tends a little toward the feminine and would suit someone a bit older than 22. Personally I think Lyric works best with a tux, it just seems like a very formal type of scent.

You don't need to get something very expensive for special occassions, chances are you'll smell just as good wearing something that costs $100 or less as you will if you wear something that costs $250 - $300. Also, most people won't be able to smell how much a perfume cost you, they will only know you spent $250 on something if a) they are also into perfumery and are familiar with what you are wearing or b) you tell them (which is kind of crass and definitely NOT in good taste).

If you really want something expensive that you will wear only on very special occassions, save your cash and get small decants of 2 or three of the fragrances you have mentioned in the thread. Then you will have the expensive perfumes, you'll have a variety and you will be able to test them over a longer period to help you decide which is FBW.
    Last edited by surreality; 12th January 2009 at 12:15 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

^^ would u think girls would like Straight to Heaven on guys more then Homage, or would girls like Homage better then StH ?
    Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    You don't need to get something very expensive for special occassions, chances are you'll smell just as good wearing something that costs $100 or less as you will that costs $250 - $300. Also, most people won't be able to smell how much a perfume cost you, they will only know you spent $250 on something if a) they are also into perfumery and are familiar with what you are wearing or b) you tell them (which is kind of crass and definitely NOT in good taste).

If you really want something expensive that you will wear only on very special occassions, save your cash and get small decants of 2 or three of the fragrances you have mentioned in the thread. Then you will have the expensive perfumes, you'll have a variety and you will be able to test them over a longer period to help you decide which is FBW.
    Wisdom has prevailed! Good job gentlemen.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

^^ thanks guys some awesome advice... I'll keep u informed what I choose.

First of all, you want the ladies to be attracted to you, not your perfume. Second, younger women will probably not appreciate Homage (or Lyric) they may even think it way too feminine for a young man. StH is nice but not worth the money that By Killian is asking. 1872 is .... well it's in a nice bottle.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

First of all, you want the ladies to be attracted to you, not your perfume. Second, younger women will probably not appreciate Homage (or Lyric) they may even think it way too feminine for a young man. StH is nice but not worth the money that By Killian is asking. 1872 is .... well it's in a nice bottle.
    You are right on the money and I second it

lol... thanks.. but tell me: "1872 is... well it's in a nice bottle".. does that mean, it smells nice to u?

lol... thanks.. but tell me: "1872 is... well it's in a nice bottle".. does that mean, it smells nice to u?
    My statement means exactly what it says, that I think the bottle is the best part of the fragrance. It doesn't smell bad but I don't particularly think it smells that nice or special. There are way better perfumes available for a fraction of the price. It seems a little generic for a $300+ perfume.

The WASP's that are attracted to this because of a) its price (especially for those that get the bottle that contains a gem set in the flacon) and b) because its not very challenging. It is subtle, understated, doesn't project off the skin very much, has little appreciable sillage and is constructed in a style that is meant to be easily wearable (i.e. read "easily wearable" as "sort of boring"). It did seem to last on my skin the one time I tested it as a sample from TPC.

In short it smells like you would expect an older gentleman from a moneyed family (old money not the noveau riche) to smell.
    Last edited by surreality; 11th January 2009 at 06:23 PM.

^^ thanks bud, for clearing that up.. so I've decided to go look at homage, if I like it and I can pull it off... then its homage, and if not.. I'm gonna look at Encre Noire and Boss Bottled as a combo purchase..

I would say Homage, except, it is a limited release, However, have you tried Amouage Gold for men, I've had a bottle for 10 years, I only wear it on special occasions. This is a much better, and cheaper purchase, still extra luxe. One of my favorites, stronger, more assertive presense, not unisex at all.
    I don't think the price is worth it for either scent, and in this economy, it's bad karma to waste money on a mediocre bottle of juice, or one that you're not gonna be able to find a couple of months from now. Try Gold.

^^ thanks bro, I'll keep it in mind... and i'll def smell gold next time. :-)

On wednesday I had the chance to try both. From a limited trying, on the left hand the first one, on the right the other one, I would choose 1872 by all means, sorry
    First of all, I had a girlfriend several years ago, and she wore Givenchy Amarige. I still have that scent in my nose after several close skin encounters, if you know what I mean. Now, Homage is far too similar to Amarige. Of course very well blended, very nice and sophisticated, but for me it's such a feminine scent, that I could not imagine a situation in which I would wear it. Of course our gender barriers are differents.
    Secondly, I can see that the majority of the opinions are against 1872, but I can't help: I find it an extremely gentlemanly scent, which simply has everything I ever dreamed of. We have a very nice guy carrying a shop in our capital, ha has received some kind of scent-related degree in Paris. He truly loves what he's doing, and gives small samples freely, even from Clive Christian bottles. We've discussed lots of scent-related things, he will send me a 1872 sample for me to be able to see the situation after more thorough analysis.

^^ thanks bro, I'll keep it in mind... and i'll def smell gold next time. :-)
    Don't even try. Gold has been ruined, i suspected a reformulation and a SA i know who only sells niche confirmed it. It lost it's aldehydes and civet and traded it for more frankincense, rose and myrrh. The new version is way weaker.

Smile Re: 1872 for Men or Homage by Amouage ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    On wednesday I had the chance to try both. From a limited trying, on the left hand the first one, on the right the other one, I would choose 1872 by all means, sorry
    First of all, I had a girlfriend several years ago, and she wore Givenchy Amarige. I still have that scent in my nose after several close skin encounters, if you know what I mean. Now, Homage is far too similar to Amarige. Of course very well blended, very nice and sophisticated, but for me it's such a feminine scent, that I could not imagine a situation in which I would wear it. Of course our gender barriers are differents.
    Secondly, I can see that the majority of the opinions are against 1872, but I can't help: I find it an extremely gentlemanly scent, which simply has everything I ever dreamed of. We have a very nice guy carrying a shop in our capital, ha has received some kind of scent-related degree in Paris. He truly loves what he's doing, and gives small samples freely, even from Clive Christian bottles. We've discussed lots of scent-related things, he will send me a 1872 sample for me to be able to see the situation after more thorough analysis.
    ^^ I Think I like 1872 A Tad Bit Bitter Then Homage.. I Don't Know Why... But This Smells Like Something You Put On Someone Who Died.

Quote Originally Posted by InconcievableZen View Post
    ...Gold has been ruined, i suspected a reformulation and a SA i know who only sells niche confirmed it. It lost it's aldehydes and civet...
    Not in the sample that I have! Goodness - it's a dirty, messy hunk of civet that lasts through a shower.