Code of Conduct

Default My Saddest Day as a Collector... :(

An hour ago I had one of my prize bottles atop a new (piece of crap) chest of drawers that I had just bought today to house my collection. It was my 17 oz bottle of Comme des Garçons Vettiveru, 90% full.

Here it is now...http://imgcash5.imageshack.us/img367...img0253rb8.jpg

Guys, I feel like crying. F*cking cheap ass Wal-mart furniture. I had my Vettiveru on top of the cabinet, along with my Messe de Minuit, Dior Homme Cologne and Diesel Green for some reason. I had filled the drawers with my entire collection and was casually checking the action of the sliders. Suddenly because of the weight, the cabinet began to lurch forward, into me. I stopped it, but the bottles had started to fall. I had to make a split second decision and I was able to somehow grab the Messe de Minuit and Dior Homme Cologne with my hands and trap the Diesel Green and keep it from falling.

But I couldn't save my Vettiveru and it hit the concrete very hard and shattered on impact. My whole room smells like it right now, and I just can't believe it.

I know bad things happen in life and this is nowhere near a real-life tragedy but dammit this sucks really bad...
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 9th January 2009 at 09:59 AM.

Default Re: My Saddest Day as a Collector... :(

^^ My Condolences Indie_Guy. That must have been very painful and awful. If I were you, I would return that drawer back to Walmart and demand a full cash refund, and with the money you get back invest in a brand new bottle of Vettiveru.
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

Damn, as a fellow Vettiveru owner, I whole-heartedly commiserate. I hope IKEA furniture is more stable...But then my collection is more at risk from kidnapping attempts by little Emily Rose.
    Are you going to get a new bottle after a period of mourning? The big ones aren't even around anymore officially, are they?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I am so sorry that happened to you. I hope you will be blessed to be able to replace it. In the mean time please choose another spot that is carpeted...just in case. Bless you. I hope you feel better. Sorry if I sound patronizing I dont intend to but, I am a mom. I really do sympathize with you.

Here is an idea if it is not to late. If you used some type of cloth to absorb the spill, cut it up and store it in air tight plastic (freezer type) bags. Each time you do your laundry, toss a small piece in to fragrance your clothing so you can enjoy it for a little longer.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Ouch! That's terrible. I'd be really upset if something happened to an expensive bottle like that!

I am so sorry this happened to you!

Ouch... very sorry to hear that. I've had times when I feared bottles were going to fall from a high spot in my cabinet but thankfully it hasn't happened yet. All the best to you, Indie.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Boooo!
    I'd turn that cheap-ass furniture into kindling for the fire.
    Sorry for the mishap!

darn! i can imagine how your heart must have skipped a dozen beats during that moment.. mine skipped once reading that... wow. im still glad you were able to save other three bottles....cud have been worse.

I am so sorry indie_guy to read that that truly sucks

That's extremely unfortunate.

I guess you've replayed it in your mind dozens of time by now, wondering if perhaps you could have sacrificed one of the other bottles in order to save your prized posession.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by analavande View Post
    I am so sorry that happened to you. I hope you will be blessed to be able to replace it. In the mean time please choose another spot that is carpeted...just in case. Bless you. I hope you feel better. Sorry if I sound patronizing I dont intend to but, I am a mom. I really do sympathize with you.

Here is an idea if it is not to late. If you used some type of cloth to absorb the spill, cut it up and store it in air tight plastic (freezer type) bags. Each time you do your laundry, toss a small piece in to fragrance your clothing so you can enjoy it for a little longer.
    My heart goes out to you, big fella.
    As another Mom, I like the above idea, too.
    Your photo speaks a thousand words, man.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I've yet to break any bottle of cologne, but can imagine how you feel, especially a large bottle like that.

You'd feel better in a few days. For now, sorry about that
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Don't you wish it were something that was easily replaceable and nothing too expensive? Well having said that, what's done is done. Just try to forget it and don't hold yourself responsible for it (if you are that is) and move on. I would say buy another fragrance that you've been longing for and it'd help you tide over your loss. Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post

I guess you've replayed it in your mind dozens of time by now, wondering if perhaps you could have sacrificed one of the other bottles in order to save your prized posession.
    Renato
    I agree. Isn't that we all do when some damage happens and we keep thinking if only we did this/that?

My husband just walked by and I told him of your saga, flashed him your poignant picture...and of the condolences here, and he smiled and said, "And those basenoters really mean it, too. It's sweet."
    off I go now, into the cold cruel world out there!
    Last edited by rtamara41; 9th January 2009 at 12:22 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Man up , swallow it and buy another bottle

Oh my.. that picture really saddens me. Sepia tone, the remains of the bottle placed on a depressingly uncoloured piece of cloth (or crinkled cardboard), which itself is placed on a depressingly cold, grated metal board. I feel your loss.

Sue Wal-Mart for damages. It's the American way!

So sorry for your broken bottle I can´t imagine what I´d do..or when I´d stop crying tbh.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Basenotes Institution

Sorry for that Indie.

PM me if you want to know where to get another large bottle, I have a source for them in Miami.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks to everyone who took the the time to offer the kind words. I keep reminding myself that it was just a material possession and that it can be replaced (though the giant bottles are discontinued-- but as Mike P says, there are some still floating around out there).

I guess I'm just mad at myself for putting my bottles at risk in the first place. And for being so careless as to cause the destruction of the Vettiveru, which was one of my favorite bottles in my collection, the gentle giant that it was.

But again, thank you guys and gals for the commiseration --it did help me feel a little better.

RIP to that bottle.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Ouch. That sucks a LOT Indie_Guy. I've never smelled Vettiveru before but I think I can smell it from here! (sorry, just thought a little humor might help).

I've had the same thing happen once, although luckily the area was carpeted. My Antidote bottle's name plate bears a nice dent though where it fell into a nearby nightstand.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'm also a bit rough on myself for the adverse consequences of my own carelessness. However, I've learned to simply move on with no or few further thoughts of the mishap. Look at the bright side...that has to be a record or near-record for the fastest anyone's ever gone through one of those 500ml bottles!

First, It's only perfume. I understand you are pissed, and I probably would be as well, but in life way worse things than a bottle of perfume breaking can, and often do, happen.

Second, are you entirely sure it was the cabinet's fault. Even expensive furniture, if one doesn't place enough weight in the bottom drawers to counterbalance the weight being placed in the top, runs the risk of toppling over.

Third, be glad that it was Vettiveru and not a large bottle of something really expensive.

Lastly, look at it not as a loss but as a learning experience.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Blog Entries

Sorry about that, Indie. A tragedy and a waste. But by posting this, you may save another's bottle. It's a very useful warning for those of us who are considering moving frags to new quarters. I now realize that carpets have probably saved two or three of my bottles already. When their next home arrives, it will now definitely be over carpet.

lol
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Sorry for the mishap Indie. Perhaps you should anchor the chess into the stud with a bracket? Anyways, it was an accident so try not to beat yourself up about it.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 10th January 2009 at 04:22 AM.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Bummer. Hope you get over it soon.

Did you get over it? Did you get a replacement? How long did you have to live with the greatest smelling room ever? Must of reminded you every time you stepped foot into the room?

If I recall correctly, I did something similar years ago, but I cannot recall the particular scent. I do remember it was a good scent, and that the outcome was a great smelling room!

my saddest day was when somebody stole my chergui from my dining table...

i didnt wear cologne for days...;(

my family has broken two bottles...michael kors ph and terre d' hermes edt....

i was hating life for weeks
    Last edited by sshak13; 30th June 2011 at 08:42 PM.
    Current Favorites

Creed- Windsor
    Serge Lutens- Chergui
    Creed- GIT
    Lolita Lempica Au Masculin
    Ysl M7
    Creed-Aventus
    Pure Malt
    Chanel Egoiste
    Egyptian Goddess
    Serge Lutens- Arabie
    Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur
    Acqua di Parma- Mandorlo

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Hope this cheers you up...

Quotes for Jeff Spicoli (Sean Penn) from Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)

Jeff Spicoli: [driving and stoned] People on 'ludes should not drive.

[after Spicoli wrecks Jefferson's car]

Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill you and he's gonna kill me, he's gonna kill us!
    Jeff Spicoli: Hey man, just be glad I had fast reflexes!
    Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna shit!
    Jeff Spicoli: Make up your mind, dude, is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?
    Jefferson's Brother: First he's gonna shit, then he's gonna kill us!
    Jeff Spicoli: Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Just imagine if it was JOOP!

This has happened to me on occasion over decades of collecting. It is a real downer. Just have to hope that they're not hard to replace.

He was a good bottle...

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I hope IKEA furniture is more stable...
    Nope, you're screwed, too.

you ought to try going back to the store and explaining what happened. this worked for me once at a wallgreen's. It was a strange case cause I'd purchased something and somehow the bag they put it in had bleach on it which got on the pants I was wearing, more or less ruining them. I was given the retail price of the pants without even having to provide any proof.

it's probably a good idea to avoid walmart in general for their horrible reputation as employers.

If I were looking for a nice piece of furniture to house my perfume collection I'd work the estate / garage sales!

way to go mike in miami with a source for those big bottles. the drama of the bottle size is half the fun of that particular series of CdG!

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    He was a good bottle...
    may he rest in pieces...
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

to make an omlette you gotta break some eggs
    adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous

Sorry to hear about this.....I can feel Your pain and all of Your fellow Basenoters understand!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    Did you get over it? Did you get a replacement? How long did you have to live with the greatest smelling room ever? Must of reminded you every time you stepped foot into the room?
    Jesus... You bumped this old thread so hard it nearly knocked the other bottles off my dresser!

Seriously though, I did get over it pretty quickly. After a few weeks of Vettiveru being everpresent in my nostrils, I decided I probably was Vettiveru'd out for life and didn't need to restock.

I hear an angel dies every time a fragrance breaks. you must have killed a 1000 with that one.

Sorry about this loss. Cheer up
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto