Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Attitudes toward the perfume hobby -- how many?

You go through this, too, don't you? One day you think one way and the next, you're of the opposite opinion. How many perspectives can we name and number?

1) ECSTATIC: I luv-luv-luv my whole wardrobe! Can't decide which to wear cuz I luv so many!

2) LACKADAISICAL: I Can't find anything I feel like wearing. Maybe my interest in 'fumes is coming to a close.

3) AMBITIOUS: Every new fragrance sounds so delish! I can't wait to sample oodles of them!

4) CYNICAL: Every new release is probably a rehash of something else or uses inferior ingredients.

5) PARANOID: I just know they're going to discontinue or reformulate [FILL IN NAME]. I better buy several backups.

6) DISCOURAGED: Samples never smell the way they're described. There's no holy grail for me.

7) OVERWHELMED: There are too many fragrances. I don't know where to start.

8) GUILTY: I must be mentally ill for spending so much time and money on this meaningless interest.

9) PROUD: I've learned so much about this amazing source of pleasure and this fascinating industry--just look at the wardrobe I've amassed!

10) COMFORTED: Wearing perfumes can feel akin to a religious experience. Fragrance can center me spiritually.

What other emotional calisthenics are we prone to cycling through?

Default Re: Attitudes toward the perfume hobby -- how many?

Fun thread, Quarry! How about these:

11) CONNECTED: WOW! There's a woman in Finland and a man in Victoria that are as crazy as I am about [FILL IN FRAGRANCE NAME]!!!

12) DISCONNECTED: Gee, am I the only person in the world who can't wear [FILL IN FRAGRANCE NAME]. What is wrong with me?! (Or, "What is wrong with them?! )

13) Clueless: I don't smell anything in this frag that resembles [fill in note name]

14) Disillusioned: How could they reformulate [fill in frag name]???
    Last edited by Asha; 7th January 2009 at 04:58 AM.

Blog Entries

Good one, Quarry. I've felt them all. Here's some more off the top of my head...

TRENDY/MODERN/SNOBBY: Fine fragrance is the wine of the 21st century. We are SO cutting-edge.

ARTISTIC: Like driving to work with oil paintings and statuary next to me in the truck. (Sniffs wrist and drives through red light...)

FREE: Yeah, buddy. It's flowers. But I'm free to admit that they smell good. Care to join me?

INCOMPETENT: It's no use - I'll never have a nose like these other guys.

HUMBLED: Wow. Perfumers are just amazing. Perfumery is so hard, yet perfumes are so good.

JUST PLAIN HAPPY: Scent of the Day! Whee! :bounce:

I vascillate among discouraged, ecstatic and comforted. And always just a wee bit guilty

ACQUISITIVE: I want that one, and that one, and that one, and that one. . . .

Blog Entries

HARRIED: How'd I end up with all these samples? Gotta try 'em all, gotta try 'em all.... I need more skin!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I can relate to so many of those! How 'bout

SURREPTITIOUS: I can get away with the BN salute just about anywhere!

SUPERIOR: Pah! Those plebian fools in their pedestrian, run-of-the mill frags! If only they were as cultivated, tasteful and *niche* as me!

CONTRARY: Forget those generic fruity florals! I'll wear nothing less than truffle accords, with chamois leather, diesel and Indonesian fungus notes!

SHAME: But I *really like* Paris Hilton's Can Can
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

All of the above, so far.

VAIN I am the best smelling thing within at least a ten-mile radius.

FOCUSED I must find this note/fragrance/article!

PROTECTIVE That's my fave fragrance you're bashing!

HYPER New fragrances to try! New bottle in the mail! Great fragrance find!

BAFFLED How on earth could someone like / not like this?

CLIQUISH Only people who share my hobby understand my hobby.

And by that same token...

INDIGNANT No-one takes my hobby seriously!

Alternately...

INDIGNANT They discontinued THAT!

I toggle routinely amongst Nos 6 - 11. (If toggle is not a binary term...) If I had to pick one, it would be Comforted, though Connected is quite me too, also Guilty and Focused, or Anally Obsessive even.

Here's a couple of mine:

EVANGELICAL; Must spread the word amongst those benighted souls who are still wearing Anais Anais, Issey B****ing Miyake, or the more vivid end of Ralph Lauren.

PHILANTHROPIC: I have such a ludicrously bloated collection, I must start giving it away!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

CURIOUS - Oooh! I must try THAT one next!

SECRETIVE - I don't want people to know how many bottles, decants and samples I have stashed away in my linen closet. It's a little embarassing.

Oh, all so true!!!
    I feel rather better now, knowing I'm not alone in having these strange emotions.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    CURIOUS - Oooh! I must try THAT one next!

SECRETIVE - I don't want people to know how many bottles, decants and samples I have stashed away in my linen closet. It's a little embarassing.
    I have experienced ALLL of these, but SECRETIVE caught my eye b/c last night I had a dream that I went to the door and found the porch covered in little boxes: decant deliveries, orders from eBay, orders from other sites....In the dream I was scrambling to explain to my husband--and making up stories (these must be gifts! these must be mistakes!!!) who just didn't get it!!!!

So my unconscious was secretive. YIKEs.

It's a relief to know these feelings aren't just "hormonal" NOW what do I blame it on???

Nostalgie, your user name has reminded me...

NOSTALGIC - Searching for discontinued or vintage fragrances because they were a part of my past. But once acquired it's never the same, I've discovered.

OMG. This is so true!
    I go through all of these stages.
    Right now I am:
    PRACTICAL: I have enough. I like what I have.
    OBSESSED: Maybe there is a HG out there. I swear, I will find it.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    ARTISTIC: Like driving to work with oil paintings and statuary next to me in the truck.
    Oh, gees, you are all so brilliant, observant, clever and wise. Yes, RP! Guerlain--more portable than Mozart. Roudnitska--handier than Rodin.

SECRETIVE; definitely, especially from my family.
    DREAMY: It is embarrassing to admit just how much time I spend thinking about fragrance. What would I like to wear tomorrow, gee, it's been a while since I've worn___________, I must retry_________, and of course ooooooo, I want to own a bottle of __________.
    PASSIONATE: Can there be a fragrance love stronger than my love for_______?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    DREAMY: It is embarrassing to admit just how much time I spend thinking about fragrance.
    This morning, while the bedroom was still dark and no prior dialogue had been spoken, DH asked, "So, what you thinking about?"

My reply: "Perfume. Vials and atomizers. Swaps. Basenotes. What scent I'll wear today. And that song by Jason Mraz is playing in the background."

May I recommend this song as the backdrop to your happy musings about perfume, vials and atomizers, swaps, basenotes ...

Talking Re: Attitudes toward the perfume hobby -- how many?

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    superior: Pah! Those plebian fools in their pedestrian, run-of-the mill frags! If only they were as cultivated, tasteful and *niche* as me!

contrary: Forget those generic fruity florals! I'll wear nothing less than truffle accords, with chamois leather, diesel and indonesian fungus notes!

shame: But i *really like* paris hilton's can can
    rotfl!!

Hillaire

PARANOID : My mother will notice all my bottles and start to look for areas I am not spending enought time/ money on. (Yard, etc..)
    POSSESIVE: My best friend coming over. She will start spraying herself and vying for a bottle of one of my not-very -favorites

Basenotes Institution

What a great thread Quarry!

I will add:

OVERTHINKING: I cannot just wear my scent of the day, I must constantly sniff it, take notes, think about it, talk about it, critique it, analyze it, read what other blogs/reviewers think about it - all before I actually get any enjoyment out the scent.

I am so guilty of this. (sigh)
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

DEFENSIVE No, Im not procrastinating. Testing fragrances and reading perfume blogs are activities directly related to my work. Really. Really they are. Yes, they are.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 7th January 2009 at 10:05 PM.

I love this thread!

I recognise many of those as stages I've gone through and sometimes flip-flop between

My additions:

HEARTBROKEN: I found my HG and it was discontinued. And it's never coming back.

AMBITIOUS: I will learn how to become not just a hobbyist and an obsessive - but a true perfumer - even if it kills me.

INFATUATED: I find myself making lists of my current top five, doodling their names on the edge of my papers at work, googling them for reviews, pictures of their bottles, and lists of their notes.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 7th January 2009 at 10:44 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    making lists of my current top five, doodling their names on the edge of my papers at work
    I do that, too. What are we--starry-eyed 13yo girls?

So true! Adding...

Frustrated - I'm on a temporary no-buy and sales abound.

Avoidance - If I get near these people, they'll talk me into wanting something.

Bored - Are you all still talking about that?

Entranced - That never goes away.

I identify with most mentioned here, except I'm not secretive and it's really the time I spend on it more than money that is a problem. Which leads me to...

Obsessed.
    Last edited by beachroses; 8th January 2009 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    It is similar to the way I used to feel about the Beatles. :brolly:

I've been waxing enthusiastic over Shalimar edc as my SotE, so Shalimar must put me in the EVANGELICAL mood.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 8th January 2009 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I've been waxing enthusiastic over Shalimar edc as my SotE, so Shalimar must put me in the EVANGELICAL mood.
    Good one.

Oh, and CEREMONIAL.
    I draw the line at RELIGIOUS, but, you know, we visit our little perfume shrines and go through these oblations...

RELIEVED - that I am not the only one to make lists, read reviews and obsess about what perfume to wear.

Delighted - That I can chat with BNers who trully understand me

FRUSTRATED - When favorite fragrance has been reformulated or discontinued

I think that an extreme combination between 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 10 describes my permanent attitude about my wardrobe in the best way. I would also add (and my list is far from complete):

EVOCATIVE/ASSOCIATIVE- my wardrobe just reminds me of that particular film, book, person, experience etc. but also I just have to have the perfume, because it reminds me of ... (just fill in the blank in the most suitable way)

GOURMAND/GOURMET (related to the former attitude)- I added this perfume to my wardrobe/ my wardrobe is like this, because it has common points with a certain dish, seasoning, wine, tobacco product etc. I enjoy so much; I enjoy this perfume so much, because it reminds me of my favorite meal/restaurant, or even, because it MATCHES (if possible) the food that I'm just cooking or the drinks I usually order, it increases my appetite for them

DANDYSTIC (highly related to superior, vain, contrary, trendy/ snob and far more)- I'm the perfect fashion icon, behold my perfectly groomed self, which is modeled in front of a mirror even innerly and intimately; thus scent is more than an accessory, a beauty product or a basic good, it's my VERY identity, more than just a mask, it's what helps me be elaborate and elegant in my simplicity, what gives the final (or the all-encompassing) touch to my impeccable daytime/formal wear, an artwork, a ritual of BOTH style and substance

SOCIAL ACTIVE/CARING/EDUCATIVE (related to philanthropic)- U know something? I amassed such great experience, so much quantity and quality, so much distinction, so many achievements regarding my wardrobe, that it's time to give something back to society and convert ALL my peers/friends/colleagues/relatives/loves and passions/social interactions to ardent perfume worshipers, to explain them all, rationally and convincingly, the benefits of owning a truly special wardrobe

ETHICAL/ECOLOGICAL- is my wardrobe truly environmentally safe, not manufactured in sweatshops, financed by forms of money laundering?

INTELLECTUAL (related to evocative/associative but also to other attitudes, in a lesser extent)- I like my wardrobe because it helps me think, it stimulates my concentration, this or the other perfume might increase my social/artistic/abstract/mathematical intelligence

DEAD- END (combining state No. 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 13, 14)- my wardrobe is truly expecting a writer's (or rather perfumer's/perfume buyer's) block right now, nothing can amaze, enthrall or motivate me any longer, everything worth saying, buying, creating, smelling, trying has already been consummated and has faded, maybe only a miracle of the fragrance industry might heal me...

SCHEMING/PLOTTING/OVERAMBITIOUS- now if this wardrobe is not going to open any doors to me, give me love/money/health, wellness for good, will help me get back at someone, defeat/bewilder/win over/enthrall a person.

THE ALWAYS UNFIT, ALWAYS RESTLESS PERFUME "LOST SOUL" (close to dead-end, but unlike dead-end, much more moody and hyperactive, but also to frustrated and bored)- I "traveled" between so many potential and actually effected buys, between the wardrobes/wardrobe suggestions of rich and poor, young or old, uneducated or highly cultured... but I never found my place, my perfect match, the ideal shape of my wardrobe, my (perfume- loving) soul will never find its peace, I'm available and still looking, I still try to find the perfect match and will travel the entire world, until the end of times, if needed, in search for this particular match

FULFILLED (close to evangelical, plainly happy, ecstatic, comforted)- I FINALLY found the true meaning of my wardrobe, I could be happy with it for good, without anything more or less, it's true perfection

AS NECESSARY TO MY LIFE AS BREATHING / PERHAPS A SEVENTH SENSE - If possible, it's way beyond the sense of smell with the effect it has on me.
    Last edited by pomander; 10th January 2009 at 01:55 PM.

Welcome to Basenotes, Ken_Russell. Great offerings there!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    ARTISTIC: Like driving to work with oil paintings and statuary next to me in the truck. (Sniffs wrist and drives through red light...)
    Me too! Only it wasn't a red light!

DISTRACTED: Oo! This is good! (keep sniffing and drove right past destination and didn't realize it until 2 blocks later)

Engaged - I enjoy how this has taken over a big part of my time.
    Weird - Someone at work said the other day, are you still into perfumes? Haven't you found one yet?
    Analytical - I really like smelling reading, looking things up and trying to get a real clue about what's going on with a certain note or fragrance, if I really like the note, or if it's the combination, why I like the combination but not the individual notes. Is that really frangipani I think I smell or is it really tuberose.
    Intellectual - I know it's a sensual pursuit and everyone has a nose, but somehow it does feel like a smart interest. I love the references to history that I'm constantly coming upon. For instance I was delighted and amused to have read the anecdotes about Josephine and Napolean and the bathing and perfume throwing.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    Good one.
    That one's borrowed from VM I Hate Civet.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    Weird - Someone at work said the other day, are you still into perfumes? Haven't you found one yet?

Haha, that was funny, debbborra!

ARTISTIC - so true, Redneck Perfumista, it is an art and I love having all of my senses appealed to by the creative!

And welcome Ken Russell, if you want to re-spark your interest, put yourself on a "no buy" for a few months, then everything will start to look good.
    Last edited by beachroses; 8th January 2009 at 02:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Debbbora and Aiona-- too funny!

And a big "Hello!" to Ken Russell! I've appreciated your reviews for years, and it's nice to now enjoy your posts as well. I too feel very dandy and pleased with myself when I've found the perfect fragrance to wear with the perfect outfit for just the right day. Sometimes I can't help but laugh a little at myself.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 8th January 2009 at 06:29 PM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Debbbora and Aiona-- too funny!

And a big "Hello!" to Ken Russell! I've appreciated your reviews for years, and it's nice to now enjoy your posts as well. I too feel very dandy and pleased with myself when I've found the perfect fragrance to wear with the perfect outfit for just the right day. Sometimes I can't help but laugh a little at myself.
    I tip my hat to the genuine followers of dandy lifestyle, so I'm honored to tip my hat to you... as for laughing a little at oneself, a touch of tasteful and witty self-irony and good- quality humor is ESSENTIAL, VITAL to the true dandy! Wishing you, all the basenoters on the thread and of this site, to find, to have and to hold the fragrance wardrobe that dreams (and dandy's fantasies) are made of!
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 8th January 2009 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    okay, I'll confess. Once I fantasized that my last name was "Caron." As in, "Madame Caron, may I help you?"

okay. weird. I know. just being honest here. let's never speak of it again.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

MINIMALIST ~ I simply must carve down my wardrobe a bit. I won't repurchase (* ).
    WISTFUL ~ I wish I could be a perfumer and do nothing but sniff all day...
    AGGRAVATED ~ Will people stop calling me EVERY time they have a question about perfume? I would rather not be the resident expert, thank you.
    DIVERSIFIED ~ Look at the diversity of my collection! One just cannot encapsulate the variety of my refined tastes!
    CATTY ~ That smells so much better on ME! (I'm lucky I have such great chemistry.)
    DENIAL ~ I can quit any time. I just WANT to have this much perfume.
    MATCHY-MATCHY ~ I can't wear this orange shirt! I just put on Angel! (Or Shalimar! Or Etra!) It doesn't match!
    OBSTINATE ~ So what if I don't have all niche and artisanal fragrances? Maybe I ENJOY smelling like tropical drinks.
    Last edited by Kotori; 9th January 2009 at 02:34 AM. Reason: add
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Oh, and CEREMONIAL.
    I draw the line at RELIGIOUS, but, you know, we visit our little perfume shrines and go through these oblations...
    These are all superb, but this one really strikes a chord with me.

My own contribution:
    GARRIGUESQUE -- obsessed, beyond all reason, with the perfect Mediterranean "greens, herbs and lemons on a warm breeze" vibe.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

You must be a Sous Le Vent fan in that case? The undergrowth in that one is a bit scratchy for me, but it does evoke Jean de Florette country all right.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Institution

EXCITED- to find a fragrance I love and I can afford to buy.
    GUILTY- for buying so many scents when actually and practically, one only needs a single fragrance.
    PRIVILEGED - to have gained all this knowledge about scents ,etc
    BLISSFUL - when I wear a fragrance I just adore with all my heart !
    FRUSTRATED - when I have built a perfume up by reading about it and then to dislike the actual scent when I get a sample. Confetto by Profumum ,for example !
    OBSESSED - with all my fragrances everyday
    BLESSED - to be able to afford what I like, within reason!
    NAUGHTY - for wearing too much perfume sometimes !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 9th January 2009 at 01:42 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    okay, I'll confess. Once I fantasized that my last name was "Caron." As in, "Madame Caron, may I help you?"

okay. weird. I know. just being honest here. let's never speak of it again.
    LOL. So funny!
    Let us never speak of it again! Oh, shoot, I'm dying laughing here.

As far as CEREMONIAL goes, I would like to add:
    RITUALISTIC.
    We stand there, looking at our bottles in their drawers/cabinets/closets, gently pick them up, place them in specific orders, take their photos, breathe their vapors. It's like a form of WORSHIP.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 10th January 2009 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    LOL. So funny!
    Let us never speak of it again! Oh, shoot, I'm dying laughing here.

As far as CEREMONIAL goes, I would like to add:
    RITUALISTIC.
    We stand there, looking at our bottles in their drawers/cabinets/closets, gently pick them up, place them in specific orders, take their photos, breathe their vapors. It's like a form of WORSHIP.

as a former Catholic, I totally get the ritualistic/worship/ceremonial thing.

Anxious - Have I found all the fragrances I love?
    Last edited by chengfun; 10th January 2009 at 01:10 PM.