Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Which are your least favourite PERFUMES?

My pet hate is Elizabeth Taylor DIAMONDS! It makes me ill.
    I also hate Habanita in the early stages and Noirs Epices by Malle.
    Any of the new fruity/floral syrupy confections that are aimed at the
    teen market I also avoid like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadeshda View Post
    I haven't sniffed many perfumes, but Clinique Happy sticks out as the worst I've ever smelled. I don't know if the bottle had been sitting for too long at the store and the perfume had started to go bad, but it smelled sour and rancid. It literally smelled like something had rottening in there. And it wasn't just me, my boyfriend completely agreed with me.
    I also bought Happy Heart by Clinique, which I initially liked quite a lot, but later the smell was no more the same.....
    A friend of mine wore Happy by Clinique and it was so good on her...
    I don't know what's going on.. Sometimes I am also afraid that the bottles may had been sitting for too long at the stores...
    Is there an expiration date for perfumes?

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    Goutal's Quel Amour! (canned strawberry pie filling and cheap tinned talc. Reminds me of the smell of a particular brand of bikini wax I use)

And, Hillaire, I'm hearing you on Rumeur. It's just execrable!

*Man, that felt good*
    Oh, thank you for slaying my AG Quel Amour lemming. Rumeur smelled like "beauty shop" to me, the kind in the strip malls.
    Last edited by beachroses; 10th January 2009 at 11:07 PM.

Hermes Eau de Merveilles has popped up a few times in this thread - my list included. What are the reasons? For me, I disliked it right off the bat, and it ended up being the too-strong 'perfumey,' heavy quality that did it (or, didn't do it) for me. Horrible.

Also agree on 10 Corso Como.

Bruno Acampora's Blu - I love tuberose and would dearly love to add this to my wardrobe, and I remember it is LedByMyNose's favourite tuberose fragrance. The tuberose note in this is lovely, but there is a supporting note which just does not agree with me, so sadly I've not been able to bring myself to buy it.
    Oh no! I was so hoping you would like this one and I feel your disappointment. What note did you dislike? I don't know if I detect anything other than tuberose in that frag, so I'm interested in your take on it. Please swap it with another tuberose-lover, I am still on a mission to get this crowd to try it!

Edit: I dislike Fracas as well, and I'm a tuberose fan.
    Last edited by LedByMyNose; 10th January 2009 at 08:09 PM.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

With much respect for all the Basenoters who love it and wear it well.
    I just can't have Angel. It is one of those scrubbers for me.

Anther scrubber for me is L'Air du Rien.

I was disappointed to find that I really don't like Parfum Sacre.

Jicky, oh, I tried to like it for so many years. I only like the drydown.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 10th January 2009 at 08:50 PM.

I am not in the least bit phased if someone doesn't like what I like, it's all a matter of personal taste and you can feel free to express yourselves. Hermes Eau des Merveilles could very well have been one of my most perfect scents, but the top notes faded too fast and I was so disappointed.
    Last edited by beachroses; 10th January 2009 at 11:09 PM.

Rock'N Rose
    True Star
    Bond Lexington Ave.
    Bond Chinatown
    Coquette Tropique by Monyette
    Tresor (but not the perfume, which I like)
    All the CSP Vanilla scents (actually, all scents that are predominantly vanilla)
    Pink Sugar
    L'eau D'Issey
    Nanette Lepore (the pink one)
    Burberry Brit
    Worth Je Reviens
    Youth Dew
    Cinnabar
    (The new one) Cabochard
    Fendi
    Anne Klein ll
    Rance Josephine

Probably alot more, but these stand out right now.
    Last edited by KrystineHope; 11th January 2009 at 02:04 AM.

Oh, both Bond No. 9 WEST SIDE and CHINATOWN smelled awful on me.

Hillaire

I have never met a Creed, nor a Bond, nor a Goutal, nor a Miller Harris that I cared for, for that matter. Is there something wrong with me?

I like Rush, Light Blue and Rose Poivree. :P

Dzing! It's give me throbbing headache. (Though it has loads of leather I'm looking for.)

Amarige hurts my nostrils.

Cuba Gold makes me wanna vomit.

(Sorry if I offened anyone.)

Rance Eugenie!
    Laura Ashley Dilys!
    Coco and Coco Mademoiselle -- these smell wonderful on others, but viperish on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I have never met a Creed, nor a Bond, nor a Goutal, nor a Miller Harris that I cared for, for that matter. Is there something wrong with me?
    Hillaire, I'm with you on the Creed, Bond, and Goutal - so far, anyway, but I like a lot of the Miller Harris line. So nothing's wrong with you, except that you need to give MH another look.

Since fragrance preference is so subjective, I tend to be relatively tolerant of most perfumes as long as they are not over applied.
    My least favorite are the obviously cheap, plastic smelling ones.
    I do not care for a lot of anise or cinnamon.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Perfectly agree with you.....you're not alone...

Unequivocally, Demeter Suntan Lotion.

If I only count ones that I simply don't like, and not the ones with chemicals that burn my nose, give me a headache or make me ill...then there are few that I don't like. Off hand, one of my most recent scrubbers was Miss Dior Cherie. On me it smelled like a less flavorful version of a Jolly Rancher candy.

Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    ...Miel de Bois
    This is the one that stands out in my mind. It's the only fragrance I've tried that actually made me nauseated.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Just thought of another very modish perfume that I do not get at all, having tried it several times - Amouage Lyric.

Oh and here's another scrubber - Lalique Le Parfum. LT calls it "faceless dreck" and for once we agree completely. Cumin-heliotrope accord from hell.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post

Oh no! I was so hoping you would like this one and I feel your disappointment. What note did you dislike? I don't know if I detect anything other than tuberose in that frag, so I'm interested in your take on it. Please swap it with another tuberose-lover, I am still on a mission to get this crowd to try it!

Edit: I dislike Fracas as well, and I'm a tuberose fan.
    I've been trying to figure out the note in Blu which I dislike. According to luckyscent, the notes in Blu include tuberose, orange, sandalwood, and ylang ylang. I know I like tuberose and ylang ylang so it could be the orange or sandalwood I dislike. I bought Eclair de Tubereuse recently and it is very reminiscent of Blu minus the offending note for me so you may like to try it. I actually like Fracas although it is not my favourite.

Yeah it was the tuberose + ylang that made me want to try it in the first place. I don't get orange or sandalwood either...hmmmm.

But now I want to try Eclair de Tubereuse - never heard of it so thanks for the rec!
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Blog Entries

Tresor, Poeme, Red Door... I just can't be in the same room with them.

Fracas ~ I haven't smelled it in about four years, I just know I didn't ever want to again.

Angel ~ Not really my least favorite, but if this were my only choice in perfume, I'd be very upset.
    Just too sweet on me and some weird note peeks out like melon, perhaps?

E. Coudray Ambre Vanille: I tested this a couple years ago and I got really dizzy and nauseous.
    It was tenacious, too.

Anything with loads of vanilla that smells candy-like is probably not going to go over well with me. I also tend to stray far, far away from any fragrance that lists cumin as a note. Most of the time the cumin overpowers all the other notes on my skin and I smell like a perspiring sumo wrestler.
    Last edited by Makeup Maniac; 12th January 2009 at 12:53 AM. Reason: added more notes

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    Yeah it was the tuberose + ylang that made me want to try it in the first place. I don't get orange or sandalwood either...hmmmm.

But now I want to try Eclair de Tubereuse - never heard of it so thanks for the rec!
    It's my favourite at the moment. There's a good review for it on MUA. I hope you like it.

Escape is the only one that enrages me, that actually offends me.
    Serge Lutens. There is an opaque quality to almost all of them that I don't care for in a personal fragrance.

Least favourite? There are a lot.

Angel, Beyond Paradise : both give me big headache
    Youth Dew, Channel no.5: other people rave but not for me at all. Can' stand it

Lauder, Pleasures Exotic
    Gucci, Rush
    Gaultier, Gaultier2
    Fendi, Palazzo

Quote Originally Posted by leffleur View Post
    ...Serge Lutens. There is an opaque quality to almost all of them that I don't care for in a personal fragrance.
    Opaque! That is an excellent description, leffleur. I've had trouble with most of the Serge Lutens, too. They sort of weigh me down. I think I prefer fragrances that lift me up. Thanks for the help with the insight.

White Diamonds!

Ormonde Woman
    Ormonde Champaca
    Poison
    Giorgio

...and I forgot Cristalle.
    Last edited by Minou2; 14th January 2009 at 06:29 PM.

Moustache (Rochas)

I used to wear this years ago and seemed to enjoy it but never got a compliment on it. After a long hiatus I tried it several times a few years apart and am now sure that I can't stand it. The BN reviewer who said it reminded him of a barrel of urine-drenched rotting fruit pretty much echoed my own reaction. I was amazed at how dramatically my taste had changed.