Code of Conduct

Default My Final Frontier

I am a 54 Year Old Lawyer, when to the stats to get my degree from Yale when I was in my 20's.I am soon to be retired, I am married, and mainly reside in london. I spend most of my time in my library reading. I often go to the club with my mates to play cricket, fencing, and polo. Like to spend my evenings by the fireplace with my wife drinking wine and listening to classical music by Choplin, Wagner, and various others. You will find me in a suit and tie all the time made by the discerning men at Henry Poole. I am looking for a daily fragrance that will work in harmony with my environment. Something that smells of old wooden libraries, books, and club chairs. Something conservative, sophisticated, gentlemanly and wise. For the past two years I have been using the ol' Truefitt and Hill Spanish Leather for daily wear and, when my Wife and I go out to the opera, dinner, or attend black-tie events I will wear Eau Savage, and for summer vacation I will choose a Royall Lyme of my fancy. What are your suggestions Sirs? Are these scents appropriate? What must I look into?

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My Final Frontier

I suggest looking into the Penhaligons's line of fragrances.

Also:

Guerlain Vetiver
    Creed "Vintage" Tabarome
    Creed Royal English Leather
    Last edited by petruccijc; 9th January 2009 at 09:55 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: My Final Frontier

My suggestion is Mouchoire de Monsieur or Jicky by Guerlain. Sean Connery is alleged to ware Jicky. Company, none better. I rest my case counselor.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 9th January 2009 at 09:46 PM.

Private Collection Tabarome is what you need. It was made for the man you described. I forget who it was that said, on the review pages, that the older Tabarome is a scent of the inner sanctum. Very true. It is also a scent for a man that has come to himself.

Sample it, and be reminded that beauty is timeless.
    Last edited by OKJazz; 9th January 2009 at 10:00 PM.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to basenotes. If you and your wife enjoy the perfumes you wear, good Sir, then they are most certainly appropriate. But should you feel a desire to thrust open wide the gates to the sphere of fragant copiousness, there would certainly be a number of choices commensurate with your situation.

I would enjoin you to sample the following fine fragrances:
    Tabarôme Private Collection (also known as Vintage Tabarôme and not to be confused with Tabarôme Millésime): there is certainly no better choice for the refined, mature gentleman. It is the essence of the English Gentlemen's club. Very formal yet virile indeed.

The house of Creed also offers a very fine smooth leather fragrance which I consider among the best, and which, while certainly suitable for black tie, is more accessible than Tabarôme: Royal English Leather. If you are more venturous you may also try the venerable Knize Ten by the renowned Viennese tailor's, which perfectly captures the spirit of the Central European gentleman of the 1920s.

For a light, fresh fragrance you cannot go amiss with Czech & Speake of Jermyn Street's exquisite Neroli, the perfect rendition of orange blossom for the gentleman. As a matter of fact, all fragrances by this house are highly recommended. Cuba is an excellent, slightly more modern tobacco scent as against Tabarôme, No. 88 is a very fine rose and sandalwood in the English tradition and Frankincense & Myrrh is among the very best scents in this olfactory category.

You are perhaps acquainted with Floris No. 89 which is the epitome of the English gentleman's fragrance. A soft refined floral with refreshing citrus topnotes and a gentle base of woods. Most certainly a fine choice with Savile Row bespoke and a crisp Sea Island cotton shirt.

I would be remiss not to mention a more recent production which has captivated me by the beauty of its ingredients and which bears the name of a venerable Savil Row tailor of yore: Washington Tremlett Black Tie is a simple but immeasurably elegant blend of finest rose oil, saffron and spices.

Last but not least, for a truly refreshing summer fragrance, perfect also after athletic exertions, I know nothing better than Creed's Séléction Verte with its wonderfully crisp and enlivening mint and citrus notes and a gentle nuance of sweet pea. As a short-lived but most invigorating body tonic, I believe Trumper's West Indian Limes are unsurpassed.

We have here only the tip of an iceberg, so to speak, but I am confident you will find some more than satisfactory options among these suggestions and I sincerely hope you will enjoy exposing your senses to these fine concoctions.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 9th January 2009 at 10:16 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Excellent, It is always wonderful to learn new things. Ceases to amaze me what this world has to offer.

To Happiness and Health for you enlightened gentleman.

Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, if one wears a scent daily then after several days one tends to suffer from the effect of olfactory block - where the wearer needs to apply more and more of it to smell it properly (meanwhile, others around him are wondering why he's applying it so strongly). Thus it's better if one rotates scents every couple of days at least.

I suggest Kiton Men and/or Knize Ten.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 9th January 2009 at 11:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Firstly, if one wears a scent daily then after several days one tends to suffer from the effect of olfactory block - where the wearer needs to apply more and more of it to smell it properly (meanwhile, others around him are wondering why he's apllying it so strongly). Thus it's better if one rotates scents every couple of days at least.

I suggest Kiton Men and/or Knize Ten.
    Regards,
    Renato
    excellent suggestions.....i COMPLETELY agree.

Knize Ten, in fact, sounds like just the ticket. Kiton is more accessible, and easier to find...but also fantastic.

You're in the Land of Creed. I don't have any specific recommendations, because different people like different scents, but this is a high quality cologne house with many superb offerings.
    Last edited by Butthead53; 10th January 2009 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aMan View Post
    Something that smells of old wooden libraries, books, and club chairs. Something conservative, sophisticated, gentlemanly and wise.
    Since your environment already smells of a men's club, why not add something new to it? I suggest something floral to brighten things up a bit. One of my favorite classics, with a nice twist is Caron's Le Troisieme Homme or Third Man as it is called outside of France. The perfect, gentleman's fragrance. But if it's leather that you have to have, go for something complex and subtle like Guerlain's sublime masterpiece Derby or for that matter, the easier to find Habit Rouge.
    Happy hunting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    You're in the Land of Creed.
    no. this place is NOT that

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Sir,

Though still waiting for my Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac sample, from what I've read here and at other places, it is at least worth a try. I'm 48, and found Vintage Tabarome a bit harsh, though really great scent. According to the opinions Feuilles de Tabac is in the same genre, but in a more mellow version.

Post Thanks / Like

smells of old wooden libraries
    This has got to be Creed Bois du Portugal

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would definitely consider the Penhaligon's line. English Fern, Blenheim Bouquet, Duoro come to mind.

I am a "in the library" person as well. I don't know why, but I also like Hermes' Rocabar for that type of wear as well.

CB I Hate Perfumes has a scent In the Library (I think that is what it is called) which I have never tried but am curious about.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: My Final Frontier

Why not Frapin' s PASSION BOISÉ or Divine's L'ÊTRE AIMÉ ?
    I am sure you and your wife will love both...
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Dare I say Burberry London? MMMM...

I am a 54 Year Old Lawyer, What are your suggestions Sirs? ....... What must I look into?
    Two suggestions: from Austria, Knize Ten, from Italy, Domenico Caraceni.
    In my view, both are classics in the vein of Creeds' (vintage) Tabarome.

Post Thanks / Like

for something with a modern twist on a classic scent...
    New York by Parfums de Nicolai...
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I have decided to go with Vintage Tabarome, Bois de Portugal, and Creed's Selection Verte.
    I will keep the Eau Savage.

Vintage Tabarome mostly for Autumn and Winter.
    Bois de Portugal for "special occasions"
    Creed's Selection Verte for Spring and Summer
    Eau Savage mostly for Spring and Summer "occasions"

Is this appropriate?

smeller

I don't think I'm the most capable here to recommend, but I would recommend you to always keep the Eau Sauvage as an option, it's really timeless and you seem to enjoy it.
    Last edited by smeller; 10th January 2009 at 06:45 PM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I have decided to go with Vintage Tabarome, Bois de Portugal, and Creed's Selection Verte.
    I will keep the Eau Savage.

Vintage Tabarome mostly for Autumn and Winter.
    Bois de Portugal for "special occasions"
    Creed's Selection Verte for Spring and Summer
    Eau Savage mostly for Spring and Summer "occasions"

Is this appropriate?
    I think it is most appropriate.

If you like Eau Sauvage, you may want to try Eau Sauvage Frachieur Cuir (Leather Freshness).
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread