Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    Kotori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    I found an interesting article at
    http://www.froodee.com/features/too-...-much-sadness/

    Too much perfume, too much sadness?

    Jan 10 2008

    Posted by Jay as Family Features, Featured Articles

    Next time you meet a female friend who assaults your olfactory senses for smelling like a flower garden or a perfume shop, ask her: “Is it that bad?”

    Perhaps your friend would say, “Duh, what are you talking about? I’m actually doing fine.”

    If you read what an Israeli doctor had found out about the wearing of perfume, you would perhaps sense that chances are, your friend is not telling you the whole truth about herself.

    According to Dr. Yehuda Shoenfeld, a physician and autoimmune disease researcher at Tel Aviv University in Israel, many women splash themselves silly with perfume because they’re depressed.

    No, the reason is not because they want to mask their feelings with the scent they exude.

    “Our scientific findings suggest that women who are depressed are also losing their sense of smell, and may overcompensate by using more perfume,” Shoenfeld says.

    Shoenfeld and his colleagues used autoantibodies to cause depression in female mice, and found that the chemicals turned off olfactory gland cells, which are responsible for a sense of smell. The treatment plugged the creatures’ smelling abilities — without actually plugging their noses — and caused them to lose weight.

    Mice are thought to be good models for how the human body and brain work.

    “Loss of weight is one of the first signs of depression in autoimmune disease patients,” Shoenfeld told LiveScience. “If you can’t smell, you don’t eat because you don’t enjoy the food. If you don’t eat, you lose weight.”

    But is the link between depression and overly scented women limited to autoimmune disease patients? Shoenfeld doesn’t think so.

    “Depression operates similarly in people who do and do not have a disease,” he said, which might explain why some men slap on too much cologne, too. Whatever the case, Shoenfeld thinks that physicians — including himself — need to focus more on smell in relation to a person’s health.

    “We are aware of all the senses, but have neglected smell for a long time,” he said. “It was only three years ago that two scientists won Nobel prizes for deciphering receptors for smell in humans. We still have a lot of work to do in what I believe is an extremely important area.”

    I wonder what Shoenfeld had to say about people on the opposite side of the scent pole — those who stink like dead rodents (Oh, this year being the Year of the Rat is no alibi).

    If women who smell like a garden of roses are depressed, those who smell like sh@#8ttt must have sh@#8tt up their heads!


    Read more at:

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nse-smell.html
    Last edited by Kotori; 10th January 2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: add
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

    —from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

  2. #2
    Lian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    1,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    It's only if you overspray, and what about men who shower in aftershave?

    And I'm not losing weight..I wish!

    But if you are depressed, than very little will cheer you up and it's remarkable you even make an effort for anything let alone wearing perfume. Depression to me is a state of always being completley unaffected, uninterested in anything and every little thing seems like a wasted effort already.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

  3. #3
    Dependent
    Aiona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    it's remarkable you even make an effort for anything let alone wearing perfume. Depression to me is a state of always being completley unaffected, uninterested in anything and every little thing seems like a wasted effort already.
    I agree. Anhedonia. A symptom of depression.

  4. #4

    lightgreen22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    Sounds legit, I do however put on too much perfume sometimes but yet I am not deppressed hmm
    Well on a more serious note, their probably right about the whole weight loss thing, I mean If you bathed yourself in Angel, you would be so overwhelmed that you wouldn't want to be eating anytime soon, kinda like smoking a cigarette if you ask me
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

    -Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

  5. #5
    Kotori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    I found a few more scientific sites since I posted. It seems to be a reliable enough study. Loss of sense of smell... hmmm... That would explain why my sister-in-law used to bathe in Mademoiselle when she was also losing 30 lbs., sleeping a lot, and had not yet met her husband. For contrast, now she's up the 30 lbs. again, I can barely smell her, and she's a happy mom.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

    —from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

  6. #6
    Hillaire
    Guest

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    You know another problem is wearing a single fragrance daily, as you can "stop smelling" it, and easily wear too much. I'm especially aware of this, and mix it up, as well as only apply two spritzes!

    But it's interesting. My brother-in-law is really depressed, and he never bathes...maybe he really cannot smell himself! We all sure can!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    I really agree with Lian. When you're depressed, you just don't care how you smell, and choosing a perfume (or at the other extreme, having a bath) can be felt as a terrible effort.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    Less than 2 months ago I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. I believe the medication I am taking has reduced my sense of smell although my doctor says he hasn't had other complaints re loss of smell. I have also lost weight but it's because when I take the medication I am very nauseous for a couple days afterwards in addition to being in a lot of pain on a regular basis.

    In addition, certain perfumes that I have worn for 20+ years I cannot tolerate now and they smell sickly sweet or like urine or ammonia (in my opinion) when I wear them. I've asked those around me and they say I smell fine. I have been used to wearing a wide variety of scents and hardly ever wore the same scent two days in a row. Since the end of November I have only been able to tolerate Angel or Opium (both are strong scents although I go easy on the application i.e., 1 spray per day with a little body cream on my torso). Everything else in my collection seems to turn my stomach. These scents were not ones I ever reached for on a regular basis in the past. Oh and for the record, I don't think I am depressed!
    Last edited by chanellove; 11th January 2009 at 11:35 AM.

  9. #9
    Surfacing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    A Day Dream
    Posts
    4,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    I found a few more scientific sites since I posted. It seems to be a reliable enough study. Loss of sense of smell... hmmm... That would explain why my sister-in-law used to bathe in Mademoiselle when she was also losing 30 lbs., sleeping a lot, and had not yet met her husband. For contrast, now she's up the 30 lbs. again, I can barely smell her, and she's a happy mom.

    I'm still not buying it. Obviously depresson affects a persons physioslogy and that could include sense of smell, but I do not think there is ( not even close !) to an issue of several depressed persons applying to much perfume.

    Too much perfume is a result (in my opinion) of person not realizing how potent their bottle is, or perhaps just saying " what the hell, its saturday !" to themselves and just letting go...trigger happy maybe.

    I wore too much Rive Gauche pour Homme over the last Summer. I am just realising this now. It is not because I could not smell it, but I was just not aquainted with the fragrance long enough. It takes several weeks to get "used" to a bottle of fragrance ( IMO). The general public is also not educated enough on fragrance and how to wear it.

    Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    I really agree with Lian. When you're depressed, you just don't care how you smell, and choosing a perfume (or at the other extreme, having a bath) can be felt as a terrible effort.
    Exactly, well put by both of you.

  10. #10
    VM I hate civet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    1,581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    I was once told by an elderly German SA that in her 40 years' experience, it was the more generously-built customers who tended to apply scent more heavily, and that these tended to be stronger as well. I found the notion a little shocking, even though the one friend I know who seriously oversprays the likes of Paris is indeed fuller figured.

    So I remain sceptical, both about the depression theory and the rather un-PC BMI correlation!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 12th January 2009 at 09:17 AM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

    http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

  11. #11

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    Oh, how I hate media coverage of scientific research. To give dry research results a saucy twist, they lose themselves in poetic prose and conjecture. Sense of smell *is* diminished among the clinically depressed (there's been a great deal of research into that for some reason), but to suggest that anyone who ODs on fragrance THEREFORE has a diminished sense of smell THEREFORE is depressed is just plain ridiculous.
    If, and only IF, someone oversprays due to a diminished sense of smell, that could just as well be caused by age, head trauma, Huntington's, MS, Parkinson's or Alzheimers, all of which compromise the sense of smell.
    A=B does not mean B=A, after all.

    Lian and alba: you're right - but I can imagine instances of sub-clinical depression or dysthymia where some areas of personal care/interest are fading, but some stay. Just speculating, though.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 12th January 2009 at 12:41 PM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

    Douglas Adams

  12. #12

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    veuve amiot--I agree. Reminds me of the recent coverage of research on exercise and diet: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28524942/ S0 many are interpreting it to say that there is no correlation, when in fact, as anyone who has exercised regularly knows, of course there is a HUGE correlation. Interpretations of the study assume people take in more calories because they are hungrier, and thus nullify the benefits of exercise. That has certainly never been the case for me and fellow runners.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

    Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

  13. #13
    beachroses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    People overapply for any number of reasons.

    Researchers have to come up with a new angle to get grant money, some are legit and some are just running a racket or skew their tests and results to prove a theory without taking into consideration there could be other reasons that are just plain common sense, but you don't make money off that. I disagree with this, but I do know that people who are depressed are attracted to and helped by scent, I was. That's how I got into aromatherapy. I also got into herbal healing at that time, read a lot, did yoga, meditation and prayer. It was hard, but I made it.

    If someone is stinking so bad nobody can get near him, I think something else is wrong with his mental health in addition to depression. jmo
    Last edited by beachroses; 13th January 2009 at 03:34 AM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    I'm also sceptical of causality. Completely with veuve amiot on this one.

    It's like saying, hey we've found that 80% of people who like pasta also like to watch the news on TV. Therefore pasta makes you interested in current affairs.

    Lian has also made some good points about the nature of depression.

    I'd imagine there might be some interesting overlaps, but I suspect the issues are more complex than how they've been represented.

    And yes, we do tend to get used to smells when we wear the same perfume a lot, which can lead to over-applying. Having thought about this research, there could be a situation where people who are depressed (and who choose to wear perfume) are drawn to familiar scents and scents they find pleasing (usually familiar = pleasing anyway); they might have over-applied those scents due to not being able to smell them clearly any more anyway, but particularly now that their sense of smell has diminished. This would not mean that being depressed somehow directly relates to wearing too much perfume. And what about having an actual study, with humans to see a group of depressed women and see how many of them wear perfume in the first place. What the fuck have mice got to do with how a depressed woman might behave...

  15. #15
    ChantillyLace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Washington the ever mold State
    Posts
    774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    And what about having an actual study, with humans to see a group of depressed women and see how many of them wear perfume in the first place. What the fuck have mice got to do with how a depressed woman might behave...[/QUOTE]

    LoL! The men in the lab wouldn't know how to talk or interact with a real woman! Thats why they have to use mice.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    Hah! You might be onto something.

  17. #17
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    7,130
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    93

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    Who's to say how much is too much? Is there to be a government 'Fragrance Czar' now who will set the correct level?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Who's to say how much is too much? Is there to be a government 'Fragrance Czar' now who will set the correct level?
    Yes, and I'll have you know, Sir Sneezealot takes his task very seriously indeed.

  19. #19
    debbborra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,467
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    I was once told by an elderly German SA that in her 40 years' experience, it was the more generously-built customers who tended to apply scent more heavily, and that these tended to be stronger as well. I found the notion a little shocking, even though the one friend I know who seriously oversprays the likes of Paris is indeed fuller figured.

    So I remain sceptical, both about the depression theory and the rather un-PC BMI correlation!
    Well, animals appetite is more closely linked to smell.
    After my health issues I was terribly depressed and queasy and I gained 90 pounds. It didn't make me jolly, I'll tell you what. I think obesity and depression are linked.
    Now, I haven't taken a science class in about a thousand years and I this is just a random theory. I wonder if depression and obesity are like diabetes and obesity. Once you get too heavy your body might not produce enough insulin for your mass. I wonder if at a certain point your body stops making enough endorphins.

    By the way, once I started losing weight, and pretty quickly too, maybe after the first 25 pounds, I was able to end that whole depression spiral. I felt great.

    So my theory is that these zaftig and fragrant women are in fact as unhappy as their thin smelly counterparts.

  20. #20

    purplebird7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    For me, depression usually translates into complete lack of motivation--to get up, to eat, to put on perfume, to take off one's pajamas, to feel plesure, to live. It usually involves not wanting to do anything, see anyone, or make any decisions. When I ponder the fascination of deciding which scent to wear, it is only excitement that enables me to make a choice, and excitement and pleasure are the enemies of depression. Therefore, to spritz is a declaration of wanting to live.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 14th January 2009 at 01:22 PM.

  21. #21
    BN better than ever
    Quarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7,836
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    I wonder if at a certain point your body stops making enough endorphins.
    All generalities, my pretties.

    I've been obese since infancy, and it's only when I was influenced by outsiders' opinions that I wasn't happy with me. Now that I'm over 50 and the general population looks more like me, a lot of the pressure is off, so I can revel in being my naturally effervescent self. If anyone wants to start an off-topic thread on weight, appetite, food, self image, etc., I'll rumble in and shine a lot of light on a subject I've examined meticulously for decades.

  22. #22
    beachroses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    I cared about people when I was depressed, chose to take a proactive approach that involved natural healing, and lost weight from lack of appetite. I think these generalizations might not be accurate and it varies from individual to individual, depending on any number of factors. And how did they know whether mice tended to overspritz? Jeez, what next?
    Last edited by beachroses; 14th January 2009 at 10:44 PM.

  23. #23
    LedByMyNose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    Oh, how I hate media coverage of scientific research.
    Yes. Yes. Yes. So, some women who overapply perfume are depressed? OK. But that's as far as the research goes, and anyone going from that to "all women who overapply are depressed" is a doofus. I underapply. Does this mean I'm overly happy? I hope so.

    I thought this thread might be about collecting - the more bottles = the more depressed you are. As soon as I thought that I then thought "nah, if I had 1000+ bottles of perfume I'd be H.A.P.P.Y." If anyone wants to study what happens to my mood after receiving these bottles, please PM me with credit card and contact details.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

  24. #24
    Kotori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Oh, how I hate media coverage of scientific research. To give dry research results a saucy twist, they lose themselves in poetic prose and conjecture. Sense of smell *is* diminished among the clinically depressed (there's been a great deal of research into that for some reason), but to suggest that anyone who ODs on fragrance THEREFORE has a diminished sense of smell THEREFORE is depressed is just plain ridiculous.
    If, and only IF, someone oversprays due to a diminished sense of smell, that could just as well be caused by age, head trauma, Huntington's, MS, Parkinson's or Alzheimers, all of which compromise the sense of smell.
    A=B does not mean B=A, after all.

    Lian and alba: you're right - but I can imagine instances of sub-clinical depression or dysthymia where some areas of personal care/interest are fading, but some stay. Just speculating, though.
    You make a great deal of sense, Veuve. I agree, for the record. I think the science does get lost in the prose most of the time.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

    —from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

  25. #25
    debbborra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,467
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    All generalities, my pretties.

    I've been obese since infancy, and it's only when I was influenced by outsiders' opinions that I wasn't happy with me. Now that I'm over 50 and the general population looks more like me, a lot of the pressure is off, so I can revel in being my naturally effervescent self. If anyone wants to start an off-topic thread on weight, appetite, food, self image, etc., I'll rumble in and shine a lot of light on a subject I've examined meticulously for decades.
    You are right of course. I guess I meant that not all depressed people will lose weight. But I certainly didn't mean that all heavy people are depressed either. My personal experience was one where the two kind of formed this unhappy circle. And a weight thread might be an idea at that, as I seem to be off on a tangent here. I tend to be drawn to tangents.

  26. #26
    BN better than ever
    Quarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7,836
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    I tend to be drawn to tangents.
    Tangents centralized. Tangential hub. Tangent epicenter. Love oxymoronic pairings.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Too Much Perfume = Depression?

    Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    For me, depression usually translates into complete lack of motivation--to get up, to eat, to put on perfume, to take off one's pajamas, to feel plesure, to live. It usually involves not wanting to do anything, see anyone, or make any decisions. When I ponder the fascination of deciding which scent to wear, it is only excitement that enables me to make a choice, and excitement and pleasure are the enemies of depression. Therefore, to spritz is a declaration of wanting to live.
    Precisely!
    Personally (and I know that this makes what I am going to say by definition not scientific), the happier I am, the more confident I am, the less I care what others think, the more likely I am to say the hell with the rest of you I'm drenching myself in perfume, so eat my sillage!

    And the business about more body mass more fragrance--that's just...silly.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 15th January 2009 at 01:35 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

    Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Similar Threads

  1. Primer on How to Make Perfume (Version 1.0)
    By ItalianStallion in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 25th January 2014, 01:46 PM
  2. The Perfume House, Portland, Oregon
    By adamgottschalk in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 23rd January 2014, 06:37 AM
  3. Help me plan my class on perfume?
    By Strollyourlobster in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 20th October 2008, 03:41 PM
  4. Wearing too much perfume a sign of depression?
    By AZsmells in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 6th March 2008, 12:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •