Code of Conduct

Default Which of these is a better tobacco frag?

In terms of overall smell, but also longevity and sillage.

Vintage Tabarome
    Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Michael for Men by Michael Kors
    Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille
    SMN's Tobacco Toscano
    SMN's Cuba
    Cuba by C & S

P.S., I know the Santa Maria Novella's are EDC so how is the longevity and sillage on those specifically?
    Last edited by mrshackleford; 11th January 2009 at 01:17 AM.

Default Re: Which of these is a better tobacco frag?

I'm sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

We're going to have to spritz you with Kouros every time you apologize.
    I only know two of these and don't completely love either of them, although both are really interesting. Tabarome on me has something of the 70's hairy chest frags like the original eponymous Aramis: the major accord is tobacco and something citrusy/animalic that I wish someone would identify for this ignorant sniffer. C&S Cuba is a spicy tobacco/rum affair. It compels you to dance in the sand and order drinks with little miniature tiny things sticking out. Beware.
    Fer tobaccy, I myself, me, I personally, and this may be idiosyncratic, I go to PdN Nicolai pour Homme, Guerlain Vetiver, and Domenico Caraceni. But that's me. Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried three of those - Tobacco Toscano, Tobacco Vanille, and Vintage Tabarome.

Vintage Tabarome had a vaguely pleasant top note, but soon switched into a very chemical smell that was all chlorine. I would never wear this by choice.

Tobacco Toscano is a mellow, slightly rubbery tobacco with a large dose of vanilla. Despite the sound of that, this is actually the most pleasant and wearable of the three, though not very complex.

Tobacco Vanille has a very complex and interesting top note - I smell tobacco, vanilla, coconut, and a dried fruit note that reminds me of raisins. It's quite sweet and rich, but during the drydown it becomes a purer tobacco.

Neither Tobacco Toscano or Tobacco Vanille are holy grails for me, but if I was forced to choose I'd go for Tobacco Toscano, as I can picture wearing it on a daily basis more.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally my favorite tobacco is Ava Luxe's Kretek, but only investigate that one if you really, really like clove.

Post Thanks / Like

I have only tried

Vintage Tabarome
    Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille
    SMN's Cuba

and of these I liked SDV and TV. I own full bottles of both. They are what I reach for when the temps drop. TV is more tabacco to my nose than SDV. Vintage Tab was very nice but it was too formal for me. I don't remember what I thought about the SMN but I did not buy it.

These are not cheap frags so If possible buy (or swap) some samples of them before you buy. Everyones taste is different and what I love you may hate. Also both SDV and TV are on the sweet side.

It strikes me that these are all niche scents. Would that be because tobacco is an ingredient only doing nicely in more upscale scents?

Having said that, good ol' cheap Tabac does a nice job as well.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

If tobacco is the most important aspect to you, I would recommend Tobacco Vanille.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Tobacco Vanille is pretty amazing!

SMN Tobacco Toscano is also pretty darn good, and even though SMNs are called 'Acqua de Colonias' they are much more concentrated than an EdC.... they are at least EdT concentrations (if not more) and they last plenty long.

Don't forget there's also I Profumo's Tabacco, which is a very rich tobacco fragrance (but it's not sweet at all)

Post Thanks / Like

I really do not get too much tobacco from Michael for Men by Michael Kors . To me, it is more of a patchoulli ( sp?) scent. I also get the smell of boiling spiced tea and some tobacco smoke ( but its not that prominent).

The tobacco in M for M doesn't last that long, which presents a problem. For me the tobacco is too strong initially (unless you only spray once) then too weak later. If I spray only once, though, there's not much of any scent remaining after that first hour or so. I'm not used to frags like this, so I'll refrain from reviewing it until I've worn it several times with varying amounts of sprays.

Post Thanks / Like

Although tobacco is an integral part of Cuba, rum is the star. In TV, both tobacco and vanilla share the spotlight. I would buy TV if I really wanted tobacco.

Off-Scenter

A couple of thoughts here:

I don't smell even the slightest trace of tobacco in Spiritueuse Double Vanilla.

Of the scents listed, I prefer Czech & Speake's Cuba, but my favorite tobacco-heavy scents are, unfortunately, the discontinued Havana, the hard-to-find Or Black, and Habanita, which stirs up lots of controversy over its gender appropriateness. Among more easily obtained fragrances, I'd suggest adding Lauder for Men to your list. It's a vell-constructed, rich fougere with plenty of tobacco at its heart.

Hope that's a help!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Personally my favorite tobacco is Ava Luxe's Kretek, but only investigate that one if you really, really like clove.
    I just tried this one and really wanted to like it, since I have fond memories of smoking these in college. At first, I thought it smelled like the box clove cigarettes come in, but then it started smelling just of cardboard, clove, and maybe raisins? Disappointing.

I can't answer your question since I have not smelt any of those(I do have a sample of TV ordered and it NEEDS TO HURRY UP AND GET HERE), but I can hijack your topic and pose some questions of my own.

1. Tobacco seems to be a predominant winter scent, but are there any that works well in the summer?
    2. Are the discontinued Havana and the Reserve Havana the same?

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibarney5 View Post
    I can't answer your question since I have not smelt any of those(I do have a sample of TV ordered and it NEEDS TO HURRY UP AND GET HERE), but I can hijack your topic and pose some questions of my own.

1. Tobacco seems to be a predominant winter scent, but are there any that works well in the summer?
    2. Are the discontinued Havana and the Reserve Havana the same?
    1) Well Guerlain Vetiver is not predominantly tobacco, but it has a nice tobacco accord that I like and wear in summer (truly year-round).

2) No. They are different fragrances.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 12th January 2009 at 08:52 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't get it, isn't Spiritueuse Double Vanille a female frag???

"Officially," but I believe most would call it unisex.

Why?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibarney5 View Post

I'd wear Tobacco Vanille in summer - there's a fruitiness that lightens it up a bit.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 13th January 2009 at 03:20 AM.

Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille is pretty awesome. A bit sweet, but still a marvel of a fragrance.

Okay, M for M seemed to make a "comeback." Probably what happens is that it's so powerful for an hour or so that when it fades you have to wait for your sense of smell to recalibrate. So, one spray of M for M was quite good. I'll try 2 sprays next time. LOL.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Scent79. I love the tobacco note in this one.

No tobacco in Michael Kors...its more suede, plum, and patchouli. If there is tobacco, its barely detectable by nose. That said, its a incredible fragrance.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I'd wear Tobacco Vanille in summer - there's a fruitiness that lightens it up a bit.
    are you serious

For me this stuff is hardcore, for the winter.

How prominent are the tobacco notes in Burberry London? I'm thinking about ordering some. Also excuse my ignorance, but I still don't get while gourmonds and tobacco frags are considered a predominant winter scent.
    Last edited by ibarney5; 13th January 2009 at 03:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    are you serious

Totally serious, but our summers are quite a bit different than yours - temperatures mostly in the low 20sC - so that probably effects my opinions on this.

As an example of some fragrances I'd find too heavy for summer: Ambre Sultan, Ambre Russe, Cuir Ottoman, Shalimar, Kolnisch Juchten.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    are you serious

A Melbourne winter isn't too different from a Vancouver Island summer.
    Last edited by surreality; 13th January 2009 at 07:55 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant