Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A masculine vanilla based scent?

Over the years I've developed a sort of unfair bias against vanilla due to over exposure to it in such scents as Pi and Le Male. However I realize that the rejection of such an important note on the grounds of past experiences is foolish at best, so in the new year I'd like to take a new look at vanilla.

With that it mind, what would the recommendaton be for a masculine, vanilla dominant scent?

Default Re: A masculine vanilla based scent?

A very enjoyable male find that features vanilla, cedar and mandarin, is Molinard Pour Homme II (red packaging)

The absolute best vanilla prominent scents men could easily pull off are...

Parfumerie Generale Felanilla (21) -- absolutes of vanilla, iris, saffron, and ambery woods (buy this at The Perfume Shoppe)
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille -- tobacco and vanilla
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille -- boozy vanilla

Santa Maria Novella - Tobacco Toscano. Despite the name, It's more vanilla than tobacco, and is very mellow and wearable.

OPIUM PH -YSL
    PI -Givenchy

Quote Originally Posted by tariq View Post
    OPIUM PH -YSL
    PI -Givenchy
    So after me saying in the opening post that I dislike vanilla scents based on an over exposure to Pi, you recommend....Pi?

LMAO

I will check out the other recs, I've had my eye on decants of the Tom Ford and Guerlain for a while now!

You could also try Guerlain Habit Rouge. The vanilla is definetely present, but not in a loud way as in Le Male.

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    The absolute best vanilla prominent scents men could easily pull off are...

Parfumerie Generale Felanilla (21) -- absolutes of vanilla, iris, saffron, and ambery woods (buy this at The Perfume Shoppe)
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille -- tobacco and vanilla
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille -- boozy vanilla

I never smelled Parfumerie General Felanilla

but can highly recommend Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille without a doubt!! in fact this is my next full bottle

and definitely Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille, though it did not work on my skin for some reason in terms of sillage and longevity

Sur la Plage

I recommend trying M. Micallef Note Vanillee. I prefer it over Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 11th January 2009 at 11:05 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Along with the others mentioned, try Josef Statkus (Juozas Statkevicius on Basenotes). It is a very smokey, incense oriented vanilla based fragrance. http://www.josefstatkus.com/.

Heritage/Guerlain
    Snarky is as snarky does.

The best recommendation in this case is Jaipur Homme from Boucheron...Strange nobody has mentioned it.
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Thumbs up Re: A masculine vanilla based scent?

The first 'masculine' vanilla that comes to mind is Montale Bois Vanille, which is woody and boozy. It's really, really great.

Helmut Lang EdC (and EdP) make great use of musk and vanilla. L'Instant de Guerlain PH, especially the EdP, is a great masculine vanilla. Mentioned above, Jaipur Homme (especially the EdP) is good. Plus there are countless unisex ambers and vanillas - from L'Artisan Vanilia to Ambre Extreme, SMN Vaniglia (testing right now!) is wonderful and has a slightly masculine touch. If you want to go cheap, Bath & Body Works Vanilla Noir aint bad (plus, I got a bottle for $5). Although labeled a feminine, Dior Addict is essentially a bourbon vanilla EdP. If you want to spend your life savings, try Le Labo Vanille 44. Susanne Lang is a small house that makes a few vanilla variants, including Cashmere.

Let's face it though, the greatest vanilla of all time is SDV. Period. End of sentence.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Let's face it though, the greatest vanilla of all time is SDV. Period. End of sentence.
    Not in my book.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    Heritage/Guerlain
    I will go along with that too.
    I like my vanilla mixed with a few other ingredients, if it is too outfront, I become bored within an hour and want to lick my arms like a lollipop.

Guerlain Habit Rouge, Boucheron Jaipur, Hermès Rockabar, and if you like black currant, YSL Opium will work out fine.

Did somebody already recommend Rochas Man?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dzing!, it's great.

funny you say that ....today i layered dzing and mute et musk extm and it smells amazing. again just not sure if it smells amazing on me or it would smell amazing on a woman.

Blog Entries

I second the nomination of Jaipur by Boucheron.

One Word, purely Vanilla Bliss KOUROS!!!!!!!!! what a sweet and angelic scent

Vanilla, Tonka and Amber:
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 12th January 2009 at 01:20 AM.

i just ordered a sample of montale vanilla

how about chez bond....its GIT+vanilla. .....another bottle i bought blind i love vanilla scents i like GIT i said this has to be good. its ok i wouldnt say wonderful but wearable.

Many excellent suggestions so far, especially Tabacco Toscano, Heritage, Jaipur Homme and Juozas Statkevicius.

Let me add an old favorite of mine, the classic Canoe.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by scentseeker View Post
    Over the years I've developed a sort of unfair bias against vanilla due to over exposure to it in such scents as Pi and Le Male. However I realize that the rejection of such an important note on the grounds of past experiences is foolish at best, so in the new year I'd like to take a new look at vanilla.

With that it mind, what would the recommendaton be for a masculine, vanilla dominant scent?
    Others have mentioned Jaipur Homme, and I agree. It's very vanilla. But if you don't like Le Male, Jaipur Homme's drydown reminds me a bit of Le Male. (Their openings though are starkly different.)
    Last edited by Aiona; 12th January 2009 at 02:08 AM.

The vanilla oriental Jacques Fath Pour l' Homme

Off-Scenter

There are plenty of truly great vanilla-rich scents for men out there, Heritage (already mentioned) and Jaipur Homme being two of the most accessible. I'd also recommend Guerlain's Jicky and Caron pour un Homme, both of which combine vanilla and lavender. If you can get past the fact that it's marketed to women, I also suggest giving Shalimar a shot. Many men (myself included) are comfortable wearing it, and it represents one of the finest expressions of vanilla in perfumery.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Great cedar and vanilla scent indeed!

I have been wearing and loving Montale's Blue Amber, which has a beautiful vanilla and light, dry amber dry down. I think it's very unisex, but not EXACTLY masculine. Also, By Kilian A Taste of Heaven is another lavender and vanilla fragrance in which, to my nose, the vanilla is delicious and the star of the two notes.
    Last edited by nthny; 12th January 2009 at 03:09 AM.

Talking about vanilla. I can't wait to smell the new Hermessence Vanillia Galante.
    It is getting great reviews in some blogs.

Adding my vote to Habit Rouge, Jaipur Homme, Shalimar and Jicky. Would like to add Bois 1920 Sandalo e The.
    Last edited by Asha; 12th January 2009 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    I have been wearing and loving Montale's Blue Amber, which has a beautiful vanilla and light, dry amber dry down. I think it's very unisex, but not EXACTLY masculine.
    Blue Amber is so great, I'll second it.

I love this thread..I LOVE vanilla.

Bois 1920 Extreme (NOT the classic 1920) has a nice vanilla dry down, and is quite unisex, maybe a little on the masculine side (I'm not a great judge of which sides unisex fragrances fall on..). Also Sushi Imperiale has a terrific dry-down, with vanilla and spice and some anise. I also adore Le Labo Vanille 44 which is a complex vanilla based scent. Not SUPER vanilla centric, and very pricey, but gorgeous...er I mean great.

Blog Entries

So after me saying in the opening post that I dislike vanilla scents based on an over exposure to Pi, you recommend....Pi?

LMAO

I will check out the other recs, I've had my eye on decants of the Tom Ford and Guerlain for a while now!
    I can't resist. My sick love, Pi Neo. Woody marine vanilla with a powdery musk drydown.

Hey - it's new. er.

Mm! Here's another one. If you don't like candy-sweet vanilla, Tom Ford Tuscan Leather has vanilla in the drydown, and it's not at all candy-like.

What about Bogart pour Homme? Vanilla rum with manly spiciness - a winner in my opinion. Cheap too!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

YSL Opium PH is a great spicy oriental with a burbon vanilla strong base that's not sickening sweet. Boucheron Jaipur Homme is sweeter to me and the fruity edge it's way too sickening for my taste, but it has a strong powdery vanilla note.
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned Chanel Egoiste which has a strong burbon vanilla and sandalwood accord in the base. Other sweet vanillic ones are Guerlain Habit Rouge, Caron Pour un homme, Lolita Lempicka au masculin and Lancome Hypnose PH

I only own two vanilla scents and I recommend them both highly. The easier to get and cheaper one I use is Perry Ellis 360 White. The more elegant and tougher to get one I use is Chanel Egoiste. The latter is much more sophisticated and pleasing, with the former being very good for daily wear (office etc...)
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Has anyone tried the Farmacia SS Anunziata Vanille parfum? I've very curious about this.

New year and I am still bad at picking up notes...

But my favorite sort of vanilla fragrance (I finally got a decant) must be People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo edp. Dry, woody vanilla with a strange twist of like cherry... I love it!
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

A woman's scent, but I think a guy can easily wear it - Givenchy Organza Indecence - vanilla, spices and woods.

Basenotes Institution

There are tons of great recommendations above. I will add one that hasn't been mentioned: Roadster by Cartier. Although, you have to also like mint to like this one.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    What about Bogart pour Homme? Vanilla rum with manly spiciness - a winner in my opinion. Cheap too!
    Another vote for Bogart PH.

Devotion for men deserves consideration, and it's very inexpensive now.

Man, sooo many goods rec's in the above posts....some I feel a need to reiterate so I will.

Lolita Lempicka au Masculin is an excellent vanilla+anise scent.

Body Kouros by YSL is great and very wearable (contains the fabled "burnt marshmallow" note as pointed out by a Basenoter in the past). Try this one if Le Male is just too much for 'ya.

Jaipur Homme....ESPECIALLY the EdP formulation! Yowzah!!

Caron Pour un Homme is a timeless vanilla/lavender blend. Truly a classic!

Egoiste, Opium and Hypnose are all excellent.

Angel for Men is a very rambunctious vanilla scent. Careful.

I'll add in Versace's Blue Jeans and Dali's Laguna.

Bulgari Black.

If you're a vanilla lover, you really owe it to yourself to try Snake Oil from BPAL. Not sure if I would consider it overly masculine but by far the best true vanilla I've ever sampled.

I am also an avowed Vanilla-Hater.

It's so... vanilla! There are hundreds of them out there, and they are all the same.

Except there are two - only two - which I actually like:

Penhaligon's Endymion: a rich coffee note that elevates this above the pack, even if just a little.
    Uomo?Moschino: unlike most other vanillas in that it contains enough musk, wood and citrus to make things interesting.
    New site for my available dec^H^H^Hsplits: http://www.badgerdecants.com

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    If you're a vanilla lover, you really owe it to yourself to try Snake Oil from BPAL. Not sure if I would consider it overly masculine but by far the best true vanilla I've ever sampled.
    wow, that's certainly a suggestion that caught my eye Ziffy321. I've always wanted to explore this line... is there anything you might compare it to or could you describe it a bit more? For instance, is it vanilla pod like or is it soft or does it have floral components, etc... is it dark or light? just curious.
    EDIT: well, I just looked it up in the directory and it sounds REALLY good, at least according to some parts of the three reviews there... looks like I'll have to try this out! It may be the vanilla I've been looking for.
    Last edited by nthny; 13th January 2009 at 02:52 PM.

that snake oil does sound amazing .....i just bid on the only one on ebay.....i probably shouldnt have said that now i will get outbid lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    Heritage/Guerlain
    I would say Habit Rouge over Heritage for a stronger vanilla base. I get more of the woods mixed with the vanilla in Heritage.

How about Hermes Rocobar?

Héritage (a personal favorite); Rocabar; Bulgari Black; Habit Rouge (esp. in its edt form); Bogart pour Homme (vanilla, patchouli and chocolate!); Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient (a much lighter take on Opium pour Homme); Égoïste by Chanel (but not Égoïste Platinum); Jaïpur Homme (but try this one in its edt form first, as the edp version can almost bowl one over with its heady vanilla/opulent heliotrope cloud); Rochas Man (coffee with sweet vanilla -- yummy AND sexy!); Caron pour un Homme (not for the lavender-shy, though); Shalimar (another personal favorite, especially in its edp form or its Light form).
    MY CURRENT SALES THREAD: http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ighlight=magie
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 13th January 2009 at 09:03 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Talking Re: A masculine vanilla based scent?

I believe Bond No 9's Bleecker Street

I recently picked up some of Coty's Raw Vanilla on the cheap and initially I was impressed, but it kinds of dry's down into a pungent musky vanilla smell. It is at times almost pleasing, but the pungency seeps through ruining it. I'd say avoid it. The only other vanilla I have experience with is Pi, but you have your mind made up about that though.

I was really surprised how long it was in this thread before Egoiste was mentioned!

Glad to see Eaux des Baux got several mentions, l love that stuff.

I would also second Habit Rouge.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by ibarney5 View Post
    I recently picked up some of Coty's Raw Vanilla on the cheap and initially I was impressed, but it kinds of dry's down into a pungent musky vanilla smell. It is at times almost pleasing, but the pungency seeps through ruining it. I'd say avoid it. The only other vanilla I have experience with is Pi, but you have your mind made up about that though.
    That said, though, Coty's feminine "sister fragrance" to Raw Vanilla (i.e., Vanilla Fields) is pleasant. Go figure.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 13th January 2009 at 09:06 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I'm new to frags so I can't offer you much advice, but today I tried on Lolita lempicka and I got quite a lots of compliments. I'm not sure it can be called "masculine" tho, cause it smells like an unisex perfume to me (tho it's marketed towards men)