Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Perfume Passion Pondering

[QUOTE=odysseusm;1406262]
    But scent is still a very, very personal experience. And the great scents -- sillage excepted -- are meant to be shared with at most the few who are closest to you. Perhaps to a greater extent than any other sensory experience apart from touch, the sense of smell is an intimate act.

On the other hand, just as fine cuisine and wine has enjoyed an explosion of popular interest, so too with fine scents. QUOTE]

Good points Odysseusm. It seems that in the US at least, eating and drinking wine has traditionally been more of a means to an end (satisfying hunger and getting high) than about the act of deriving sensual pleasure from the food/wine. And perhaps if follows that scent has traditionally been marketed in the U.S. as a means to attract a mate, and less so as a "personal experience". [Although as you mentioned, the way we consume food/wine and scent appears to be changing.] Maybe I'm being too hard on us USers, but it's been my impression that we tend to concentrate on the visual and auditory senses (movies, TV, IPODs, cell phones, texting, work, work, work!!!), whereas many of our foreign conterparts include celebration of the other senses in daily routine, i.e. deeply enjoying food, wine, fragrance (and all kinds of scents in general), face-to-face communing/dining, etc. [I'm thinking of the French, Greek and Italians to name but a few.] These are just my impressions.

So, I guess it might explain why we are "stingy with ourselves when it comes to scent" to quote Nostalgie, if we are not used to indulging our sense of taste and the preparation of delicious food. All this talk of food is making me hungry...think I'll go smell some Dior!
    Last edited by pomander; 14th January 2009 at 01:31 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Perfume Passion Pondering

Quote Originally Posted by auburnette View Post
    ...I also think it has coincided with feeling more sure of who I am; perfume is part of making me 'me' (even if the perfume I wear changes from day to day). I've decided that I am a fragrant person; scent is part of the way I perceive my own identity.
    I think this is very well said, and I agree with it completely. Self-identity, discovery, growth... that's it!!
    & in dialogue w/ pomander's latest post -- absolutely. My perhaps romantic notion of a Meditteranean lifestyle is that of a holistic perspective. Everything adds into and augments the total enjoyment experience. We compartmentalize so much in North America! Life is to be experienced first, savored and enjoyed! La dolce vita!
    Last edited by odysseusm; 14th January 2009 at 01:45 AM. Reason: further brain-wave :-)
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: Perfume Passion Pondering

I have found this to be a fascinating read. So many interesting connections.
    Scent has always been important to me. I remember things through scent.
    I used to dig around in my Mom's and grandmothers' perfumes and try them all out. One grandma loved Youth Dew, the other was all about variety but mostly spicy orientals. My mom wore Chanel no.19 when I was little and no. 5 when I was older. Now she is on a Coco kick- go figure. When I was in elementary school I loved Love's Baby Soft and Jean Nate. As I grew older my taste improved thankfully! But wearing a scent daily has been a part of my life almost as long as I can remember, I used to beg for scented bubble baths, powders, lotions- really anything to stimulate my nose.
    As an adult, I have gone through phases of styles but always fragrance has highlighted my life. I can pull memories out of whiffs. It is a part of me that I have always enjoyed and is a part of my self definition. I was so happy to find this website because I don't have friends who feel this way about fragrance. So many of them are fine with one or two scents. If I told them what I spent or the sum total of my collection they would not comprehend. But for me, it is a pleasure.
    Speaking of pleasures, I do think there is a very tight connection between appreciation of fragrance and of food and wine. Just like gourmands break down food or wine into traits and components and discuss composition, balance, etc, we too discuss perfumes by trait. For us, it is not just that it smells good but a heightened awareness of the elements that make up the "good." To me, that is very exciting!