Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default a lutens you actually wear everyday

anyone who owns serge lutens.....is there a particular one you wear alot and cant live without? i decided why waste $30 on samples when i can get a bottle for $90 so i am going to buy one blind. what one should i start with....i dont want it cuz its a work of art (something that smells like a perfect blend of artistically grown animal droppings and broccoli) i want one that smells great and i would actually like to wear on special occasions. so anyone that has one or a few lutens, what one smells wonderful i should get first? after reading for months on here i was thinking chergui to start with.

another words what one lutens do you think everyone should have?

Default Re: a lutens you actually wear everyday

There are a bunch of SLs that are perfectly suitable for actual wearing. My favourite of the wearable SLs is Iris Silver Mist but it's only available in Paris. Of the export line, my favourites are:

Fleurs d'Oranger: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120626.html
    Chergui: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122261.html
    A la nuit: http://www.basenotes.net/ID10213051.html (marked as feminine)
    Sa majest la rose: http://www.basenotes.net/ID10213052.html (also marked as feminine)

Especially Chergui gets a lot of love around here, and rightly so!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

OMG, get the samples for heaven's sake! I tried many of them before I bought my bottle of Gris Clair. I also liked MKK, but it's not available here in the US. It's not a bargain if you have a $90 bottle of something you don't like and IMHO, no Lutens is a safe blind buy.

i love chergui, arabie and ambre sultan, but i cant wear them evry day.
    the more wearabbles are Un cedre, Daim blonde and iris silver mist.

yeah i guess i have to get some samples....perfume court looks like they have them all....i have so many samples i paid for and hate i just feel like if i didnt get all those i could have almost every lutens! i have a whole cigar box full of samples i hate. i guess i have to get a buncha 1ml samples on perfumecourt. i wonder if they have iris silver mist...that one sounds great!

ok so now i am looking at samples.....besides chergui what ones should i get????.....they are like $6.50 a piece see now if i get like 6 of them theres $35.....for 90 i could get a bottle lol

ISM really is a beautiful fragrance but please, do not dismiss it during the first five minutes. It has a very sharp rooty carrot-like opening which gives me the same tingly sensation as eating wasabi paste! After that though... *sigh*
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Sur la Plage

I think any of the "non-sweet" ones are wearable on a somewhat daily basis (I personally would not wear the same fragrance every day). My favorite of those would be Gris Clair. But you really need to try them first before buying.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 12th January 2009 at 12:05 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Based on the tone of your initial post, I think you would be doing yourself a favor to "waste" $30 on samples. If you already have a box full of samples that you hate, odds are good that if you blind buy a Lutens, you'll regret it. For instance, do any of the samples you hate have a strong iris note? If so, you'll hate Iris Silver Mist. How about fragrances that lean toward feminine? Amber? The road ahead is filled with obstacles; I wouldn't blind buy a Lutens.

Perhaps you could clue us in on some of the samples you hate so we can help you make a more informed decision.

p.s. The journey is its own reward, rather than viewing your hard earned $30 as wasted, consider it part of the cost of finding something you really like. You might also learn something about fragrance in the process.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    ok so now i am looking at samples.....besides chergui what ones should i get????.....they are like $6.50 a piece see now if i get like 6 of them theres $35.....for 90 i could get a bottle lol
    I'd go with The Perfume Shoppe in Canada for these samples instead of The Perfumed Court. They sent me little sprayer samples directly from SL. Much nicer!

yeah you guys already talked me into getting samples. i am picking some now. so far i am going with silver iris....i dont mind iris......cheregui....seems to be everyones favorite....the GIT of serge lol.....and meil de bois.....i want to try one of the sweet ones......
    can you recomend any others you wear and like? i like alot of smells. the only thing i dont really like on me is flowery.. like dzonkha /timbuktu flowery.....i love them on girls just not much of a flowery wearing guy.

whats perfume shops addy? i j ust went to perfumeshop.com and that wasnt it

#1, where can u get a bottle for $90?

#2 I love to wear Fumerie Turque

Un cedre is quite save buy. it is easy to wear.... not heavy oriental..... and not too woodsy.
    actually is more of a tubereuse scent.

Chene would be a save buy too if u love woods.
    Iris silver mist.... it is just like MERLINO discribed it..... but.... to me it is a strange perfume..... i have a new bottle and i cant enjoy it YET!!!!
    Last edited by moreda; 11th January 2009 at 10:49 PM.

i found the perfume shoppe in canada....they have samples 5 for $15....or if you buy almost any bottle for 96$ american u get 5 samples free with it. hmmmmm, now i am back to my original delima

Serge Lutens' I think everyone should sample are the following:

Musc Khublai Khan - musk
    Iris Silver Mist - iris
    Sa Majeste La Rose - rose
    Tubereuse Criminelle - tuberose
    Ambre Sultan - amber

These are all fragrances with bold, distinct personalities, and strike me as some of the most aesthetically interesting and archetypal of the house.

There are no Lutens I'd recommend blind-buying.

just buy any serge that appearse nice to u...... if u dont like it than u always can sell or swap with another member here

Do you live near a Barney's - you can try a bunch that way.

Blog Entries

i still have yet to find anything by Serge Lutens that i can wear at all, let alone wear daily......i would never buy a Lutens scent blind....they are not exactly 'easy' scents to use....overly complicated i think....some of them are even a bit gross.
    Last edited by everso; 11th January 2009 at 11:07 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Don't buy any SL blind.

IMO, very few of the SL line can be worn 'everyday'.

Sample all of them you can afford to - and understand that certain in the line are more expensive and harder to source, while others are less expensive and sold here in the States. I have been on Basenotes for 2 years and I have yet to sample ALL of the Serge Lutens scents. Take your time dreadmahawkus. This isn't a race.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    i still have yet to find anything by Serge Lutens that i can wear at all, let alone wear daily......i would never buy a Lutens scent blind....they are not exactly 'easy' scents to use....overly complicated i think....some of them are even a bit gross.

thats my worry!!!! that i am going to get something that smells like carrot juice!

barneys....not sure i live in boston i will have to look online.

i want something nice to wear. special........i like natural smelling.....like example i put guerlain vetiver on one wrist and creed OV on the other....they almost smell the same except the creed just smells like its made with great ingrediants....the guerlain smells like chemicals.....i wish i never did that now i can never wear the guerlain.....i have like 8 differant creeds. i wanted another great smelling great ingrediant smell. i never tried a lutens...so i have to try something by them. again just not carrot juice developing into elephant dung followed by indian curry, lol

There's one in Copley Place - I would call to make sure they carry SL (they probably do.) They have them at the one in Chicago (about 20 or so different fragrances.)

Blog Entries

thats my worry!!!! that i am going to get something that smells like carrot juice!

barneys....not sure i live in boston i will have to look online.

i want something nice to wear. special........i like natural smelling.....like example i put guerlain vetiver on one wrist and creed OV on the other....they almost smell the same except the creed just smells like its made with great ingrediants....the guerlain smells like chemicals.....i wish i never did that now i can never wear the guerlain.....i have like 8 differant creeds. i wanted another great smelling great ingrediant smell. i never tried a lutens...so i have to try something by them. again just not carrot juice developing into elephant dung followed by indian curry, lol
    when i first started off REALLY getting serious about fragrances (only 9 months ago!)....i was obsessed with trying Lutens and since then i've found that there are many other greater, more interesting, and wearable brands........it's easy to get caught up in the 'hype' surrounding certain brands (like Creed, Lutens, etc...) but take the time, and try them out...you'll be glad you did!

try some other brands.....IMO.

Here is the lutens strategy I would suggest.

(1) Get free wax samples from Lutens. Yes, they are free.

(2) Test them.

(3) For the ones you like, get liquid samples. Probably the cheapest are from Aedes.

I would not buy off wax samples alone, but would use them to narrow the search. Indeed, that was an error I made (wax seemed good on me; the liquid did not). Thankfully, it was not a costly error as I was able to resell it promptly at no loss.

I would not buy Lutens blind.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 11th January 2009 at 11:56 PM.

Please let us know how your quest turns out - you picked a doozy of a niche house to expand your collection.

For what it's worth, my favorite SL is Muscs Koublai Khan, followed closely by Iris Silver Mist. I appreciate all the Lutens I've sampled but find nearly all of them impossible to wear, and the ones I like the most are in the non-export line and therefore not sold retail in the U.S.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    no Lutens is a safe blind buy.
    I agree. $30 spent on samples is not a waste, compared to $90 (BTW where are you getting them for $90) on a perfume that you might not like very much. Lutens are complex, rich and most of them are challenging. Perhaps the easiest to wear are Serge Noir, Gris Clair, Bois et Musc, and to a lesser extent Vetiver Oriental.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Get the samples of the export range from Aedes, $15 for 7. As much as I like TPC, don't buy export range decants from TPC, you will be wasting your money.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

you know what maybe i will just get a few samples and get a couple l'artisans i want. i am done getting creeds i have like 8 of them....i like them alot just want to expand a little.

i might get dzing or mure et musk extrm.....i love those 2........the only thing is i am still trying to figure out if they are too feminine to wear. dzing is disgusting for the first half hour or so smells like plastic....then it turns into the best smelling vanilla i have ever smelled. just trying to figure out if i can wear it or i would like it on a woman. mure et musk the same i love it just not sure if i like it on me. someone has a dzing on ebay now for $90 i might just get that.....as long as you dont leave your house for the first 30 minutes its on the rest of the ride is incredible.

[QUOTE=finsfan;1405249]#1, where can u get a bottle for $90?

you can get em on the purfume shoppe for $96 and ebay has a guy you can pick almost everyone for $90 i think it was.

ok i am getting samples at aedes...they dont have half the ones i want but oh well.

trying to convince myself to get this dzing for $90 on ebay....how can a smell be so nasty the first 30 min and be so outstanding the rest of the way. thats probably what makes dzing so impressive.

Serge Noire is a wonderful incense scent. Although u need to be careful not to over apply otherwise you'll be living proof that ash can sprout legs and walk. Borneo 1834 has a nice, dry camphorous note (cocoa note) blended with patchouli - its great scent too and worth trying out.

How about grabbing a 100 ml One Man Show for less than $10 and telling your friends it's an SL frag but you just can't remember which one because you got it as a decant? LOL.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 12th January 2009 at 12:40 AM.

any quick suggestions of anything else i should try since i have a couple more i can get from aedes...something i never heard of thats incredible????

Just to add my voice to the "don't buy SL blind" chorus (and I'm an inveterate blind buyer).

My one SL bottle is Fumerie Turque. It's a wonderful scent...but I only turn to it once every few weeks and I've learned never to wear it in hot weather!

Some random other things you might try from Aedes:

Cuir Ottoman (or another Parfums d'Empire fragrance)
    Twill Rose (from Parfums Rosine)
    Any of the Tauer line (but especially L'ADDM, LM, IR, and IE)
    Paestum Rose (from Eau d'Italie)
    Or something from the Diptyque or MPG lines.

Don't get L'Artisan samples from Aedes, as L'Artisan itself has an excellent sample program that's more cost effective. Go to their website and check it out!

[QUOTE=dredmahawkus;1405344]
    Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    #1, where can u get a bottle for $90?

you can get em on the purfume shoppe for $96 and ebay has a guy you can pick almost everyone for $90 i think it was.

ok i am getting samples at aedes...they dont have half the ones i want but oh well.

trying to convince myself to get this dzing for $90 on ebay....how can a smell be so nasty the first 30 min and be so outstanding the rest of the way. thats probably what makes dzing so impressive.

The ones that Aedes don't have won't be available for $90 (or $96) as they are the non-export Paris exclusives that will cost you a LOT more than $90.

ok this is what i got

lutens-chergui
    lutens-cedre
    lutens-ambre sultan
    lutens-miel de bois
    l'artisan-mure et musc extreme.......i already got a couple l'artisans last weekat the madison boutique website..... i just love this stuff and want more!!!!
    montale-Vanille or vanilla absolu
    parfumes delrae-Bois de Paradis

subs-frapin-1270
    subs-creed-erolfa.....out of all the creeds i have i never smelt erolfa...thats a must soon

thank you everyone for your help.....i will let you guys know how the lutens are when they come. what you think get out of the shower and dump a whole sample all over myself without smelling it first??? LOL after this thread i dont think i will do that lol

what you think get out of the shower and dump a whole sample all over myself without smelling it first??? LOL after this thread i dont think i will do that lol
    With the Lutens you'll stink for a week. If you dump an entire Miel de Bois spray vial you will attract every bear within 200 miles (and you'll smell a little like you wet yourself, the honey note is slightly urinous).

Blog Entries

I'd have suggested Gris Clair. I think it's extremely wearable. It's the only frag I've worn on a semi-regular basis on which I've gotten unsolicited compliments.

Aside: Bois de Paradis is gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    I'd have suggested Gris Clair. I think it's extremely wearable. It's the only frag I've worn on a semi-regular basis on which I've gotten unsolicited compliments.

Aside: Bois de Paradis is gorgeous!
    A number of people, including Vibert, often suggest that there's a negative correlation between a Lutens scent's wearability and its typicality as a Lutens scent. I've only sampled Gris Clair once in a store, but it's brilliant. It's also not what one typically thinks of when one thinks of the Lutens line.

I'm kind of glad I own Fumerie Turque, since it does have that classic Lutens structure. But I know I'd get much more use out of Gris Clair.

I agree, Lutens should not be bought blind.
    Some of the least challenging Lutens for me are: Douce Amere, Gris Clair, Vetiver Oriental, and 5 o'clock au gingembre, Although I love Serge Noire, I have found that it is a very controversial scent.
    Miel de Bois gets a bad reputation but I have never smelled it. I also thought it was going to be discontinued.

Off-Scenter

Answering the original question poses a challenge to me. There are several Lutens scents that I wear very often, including Chene, Mandarine-Mandarin, Muscs Koublai Khan, Ambre Sultan, and (in the summer) Tubereuse Criminelle. Yet I'm fully aware that these are not the scents in the Serge Lutens line that most would consider "wearable" in the conventional sense. In fact, their unconventional qualities are what attract me to them.

Were I to recommend Serge Lutens scents that strike me as less challenging or more conventionally wearable, I'd suggest Douce Amere, Gris Clair, Chergui, and Daim Blond, though again these are most certainly not the ones that I "wear alot and cant live without" (sic).

And yes, I warn agaist buying blind as well.

Actually, dredmahawkus is right - with the USD/CAD exchange rate the current cost of the standard export line is $96USD from The Perfume Shoppe in Canada. The limited editions (i.e. Borneo, Vetiver Oriental) are $108USD - I bought Borneo 1834 for $120USD, shipped. Definitely the best deal around.

It's never a waste to have samples, no matter what the cost! Having a broad experience with many fragrances is valuable my in and of itself. I'd also take mikeperez's advice and not worry about rushing to get a whole ton of samples - pick the ones with notes you really like first. I've found many of the SLs to be fairly heavy and not great for every day wear, though if I had to I could wear my Borneo 1834 ever day, and my newest SL - Cuir Mauresque - every day. [side note - Borneo is a limited export and if you want it, you should get it soon.]

The SLs I started with were Un Bois Vanille, Gris Clair, Daim Blonde, and Douce Amere. The others I really like are Rousse, Fumerie Turque, and A la Nuit.

Especially Douce Amere, Un Bois Vanille, and Gris Clair are good starters.

There are plenty I don't like, too - the 'Bois' series (Fruite, Violette, and Musc), Chypre Rouge, Arabie, and Datura Noir. Not all of the SLs appeal to everyone.

The "Bois" series are simple compositions (formulae: [fruit/flower] + cedar) and most are easy to wear. Try them out and see which variation suits you.

From the regular line:

Fleurs de Citronnier, while an unremarkable citrus (Lutens can't do citrus frags with panache), is mildly enjoyable and easy to wear.

Ambre Sultan contains the trademark vanillic (not ambery as the name might suggest) spice-rack accord albeit in a toned down mode, and manages to be an easy wear. Its much less forceful than YSL Opium homme EDP.
    -

summer means fireflys

In addition to the Ambre Sultan and Chergui, I would also add Un Bois Vanille, Daim Blond, Vetiver Oriental and Fumerie Turque to your SL sample list.

I think that Chene is in the export line for a limited time, but not yet available at Aedes. If you like woody fragrances, this could be for you. It's a great time to buy it while it's in the export line.

Although I agree that these are not exactly everyday scents, they do meet your "smells great and wearable on special occasions" criteria.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

i might get dzing or mure et musk extrm.....i love those 2.........
    Yep. Just got a bottle each of both and received good compliments for both, and those for Dzing at ALL stages of its evolution - application to dry-down. They are definitely not feminine, but require YOU to be confident. The first 30 minutes of Dzing is what sets it apart from any other scent. If you do not really like it at that stage ,aybe you should avoid it totally and get an alternative which you will appreciate better from application to drydown.

As for SLs, please sample. I use Amber Sultan, Serge Noire and Arabie (and MKK - but not available for export) as everyday/special occasion scents. You may also try Douce Amere and Un Bois Vanille if man enough to wear a vanila bomb. Again UBV is definitely not feminine, though indicated as so in BN.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I've sampled the entire export line and about half of the bell jars. My conclusion is: sample sample, it's really an "acquired taste" line.

For starters, try:
    Gris Clair
    Chergui
    Fumerie Turque
    Douce Amere
    Ambre Sultan

and if you like coconutty vanilla, then try Un Bois Vanille
    and if you are masochastic, or just like burning smoldering scents with pepper on steroids, then Serge Noire is the closet you'll get
    Last edited by moltening; 12th January 2009 at 08:44 AM.

Personally I think that Ambre Sultan is a perfectly safe blind buy

you know i been looking for a new vanilla scent....i was going to try bois vanille but they said its feminine so i didnt get a sample...wish i did now... i am going to try montale for vanilla....i think i need to get more samples now so i can try lutens vanilla.

you know i love dzing's dry down, but the opening smells like plastic tuperwear containers......i can get past that since the dry down is amazing....i think!
    Last edited by dredmahawkus; 12th January 2009 at 01:54 PM.

These are the top vanilla's you should really try out:

Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Parfumerie Generale Felanilla
    Montale Vanille Extasy
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

If you ask me, Felanilla is my favorite in the list, but they are all great.

Other Candidates that You May Like:
    Fragonard - Vanille
    Montale Boise Vanille (beware of skin chemistry on this one)
    CSP Vanille Extreme (on the synthetic smelling side, but perfect for layering, and can be found for cheap)
    Last edited by moltening; 12th January 2009 at 08:18 PM.

No one has mentioned Vetiver Oriental yet. I think it's among the most wearable, least idiosyncratic of the Lutens line. Probably still not a safe blind buy at $140, though.

thanks.....weird after smelling dzing and the drydown i was dying for vanilla. i wanted to smell like an incredible vanilla smell lol. now i think i am on a mission for vanilla. man this is an addictive hobby after you buy a couple you are done. since august i have bought 4 bonds 8 creeds and about a dozen others like guerlain and encre noire. well i was on a mure et musc mission.....but i think thats on hold till after my vanilla mission. oh and my serge mission......glad i found out about aedes they have great samples..i am psyched to get my montale vanilla and serge......thanks for the vanilla suggestions i will try and make a point to try them all....i am gonna take your suggestion and try and get a hold of the felanilla!.....oh and no thanks to this site to fuel the scent addictions! if i never bought a fake creed and never found this site i dont think i woulda been like this!!!! well i always had a few smells but not like this! anyway its fun....thanks for all the suggestions everyone i really appreciate it.
    Last edited by dredmahawkus; 12th January 2009 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    These are the top vanilla's you should really try out:

Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Parfumerie Generale Felanilla
    Montale Vanille Extasy
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

If you ask me, Felanilla is my favorite in the list, but they are all great.

Other Candidates that You May Like:
    Fragonard - Vanille
    Montale Boise Vanille (beware of skin chemistry on this one)
    CSP Vanille Extreme (on the synthetic smelling side, but perfect for layering, and can be found for cheap)

you ever try guerlain yling and vanille? i see some on ebay its discontinued. one is cheap too $25.....vanille extasy says it has yling in it too

one more vanilla question have any of you tried molinard vanilla? it seems to get some incredible awesome reviews....they all say its perfect! and its only $35 on ebay! perfect????? i just might have to buy yet ANOTHER BOTTLE! i want to smell perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    No one has mentioned Vetiver Oriental yet. I think it's among the most wearable, least idiosyncratic of the Lutens line. Probably still not a safe blind buy at $140, though.
    See post #26.

No Lutens is for everybody. No Lutens is for every day.
    Three or four are perhaps must - haves for special moments,
    or more, at some stage in a man's life.
    Last edited by narcus; 13th January 2009 at 12:35 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

After trying several SL, my only one (decant) is Fumerie Turque. After the initial medicinal blast it settles to a beautiful cherry-pipe-tobacco.

I doubt evn Mr Lutens himself wears Lutens everyday.

Never buy blind anything and never buy blind a lutens specially!
    I own Chne (mu current sotd) and Fumerie Turque in bell bottles I got in Paris and I enjoy both from time to time. My fav Lutens is Fumerie Turque and it embodies all the visionary beauty and inspiration of its creator imo. Said that, Lutens juices are not made for everyday's wear mostly: the only ones I could think about wearing on a dayly basis are probably Bois de Violette, La Mhyrre, un bois sepia and gris clair.

i just realized when i ordered from aedes they didnt have Fumerie Turque..... i really wanted to try it is it hard to get now????

Yes, these are so intense and "love'em or hate'em" that I would never recommend a blind buy. Nor is there one that I could conceive of wearing more than 2 or 3 times a week. Even Gris Clair, which is dry and relatively transparent is a once every few days fragrance for me at most. And as much as I love them, I will literally go for months without wearing Chergui or Fumerie Turque. They can, however, be great as comfort fragrances when you turn in at night.

The only Lutens that I would consider an every day scent would be Chene. It's not too sweet so it can be worn in the summer as well as the winter. Others that were mentioned such as Arabie, Chergui, Borneo 1834, Ambre Sultan, etc. are more cold weather scents IMO.