Code of Conduct

Smile Focus on Forest... Knize Forest

I'd like to hear reactions to this marvellous scent. And I can't let Everso have ALL the Knize fun!

First, I'd like to get the notes straight. This information comes from a pamphlet inside the box. And they differ a bit from those in the Basenotes listing. Translated from the German, they are:
    Top -- lavender, bergamot, lemon, juniper, clary sage, verbena
    Mid -- oregano, spruce, carnation, rose, geranium
    Base -- cedarwood, musk, labdanum, amber, tonka, sandalwood

I reviewed this a while ago, and I have further thoughts.
    What strikes me most about this is the affective quality or mood of this. Words like gentle, courtly, genteel seem appropriate. This has an old-school charm. It is a lovely green sort of scent, and I would say the green is a mid-tone rather than dark one. The actual colour of the juice is a medium gold, like an oak-aged chardonnay.
    The first phase is very enjoyable. There are fresh notes of citrus, lavender and juniper. There is an airy, "open" quality here. I get the sense of open spaces, a fresh breeze. Also, throughout the scent I find there to be very little pine. So the image I have is of an alpine meadow, rather than a deep forest; a scene of more light than deeply dark tones.
    In the second phase, there are some good but fleeting wood notes (cedar and sandalwood), and a little bit of spruce (but not much of the latter). And gradually the tonka yields its courmarin notes, and still we are strolling in a grassy field rather than a deep wood. Indeed, the coumarin plus the lavender give this a fougere character, although I suppose it should be classed as a chypre.
    The scent has good longevity on me; and I find it to be complex in a subtle, somewhat easy-going way. I'm quite fond of this. Although it is not my holy grail "perfect pine" scent, it is quite distinctive. I always look forward to wearing it.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 11th January 2009 at 11:49 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Smile Re: Focus on Forest... Knize Forest

How in the heck did you acquire a bottle? Inquiring minds want to know!
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Terre d'Hermes parfum, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Helmut Lang EDP, Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (vintage), Bond No.9 I Love NY M.E., Acqua di Parma Intensa Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke extrait

Default Re: Focus on Forest... Knize Forest

I would love to give you my opinion but seeing as it can't be found anywhere to sample or even purchase, I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by acjigga View Post
    How in the heck did you acquire a bottle? Inquiring minds want to know!
    The answer is maddening, I know. I was given a heads-up by a good soul here at BN that a tobacconist carried it. I went to that shop, and bought his last bottles of Forest and Two for insanely low prices. That is my greatest coup!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I never heard of this before. Do tobacconists usually carry fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    The answer is maddening, I know. I was given a heads-up by a good soul here at BN that a tobacconist carried it. I went to that shop, and bought his last bottles of Forest and Two for insanely low prices. That is my greatest coup!
    odysseusm, was this in your current location ( your city) ??

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I never heard of this before. Do tobacconists usually carry fragrances?
    This was a large store in Toronto, with all the tobacco products like pipes and cigars, and also lots of men's grooming products. I also got a lovely Speziali Fiorentini Vetiver bath product that I hadn't seen for years, again buying his last bottle. There are a couple of stores in Toronto like this. At one, I bought some Geo. F. Trumper and at another I bought some D. H. Harris.
    odysseusm

This was a large store in Toronto, with all the tobacco products like pipes and cigars, and also lots of men's grooming products. I also got a lovely Speziali Fiorentini Vetiver bath product that I hadn't seen for years, again buying his last bottle. There are a couple of stores in Toronto like this. At one, I bought some Geo. F. Trumper and at another I bought some D. H. Harris.
    I live in a small town, and we have a tobacconist. I mean it wouldn't hurt to take a peak inside to see if they have anything interesting.

Blog Entries

I'd like to hear reactions to this marvellous scent. And I can't let Everso have ALL the Knize fun!

First, I'd like to get the notes straight. This information comes from a pamphlet inside the box. And they differ a bit from those in the Basenotes listing. Translated from the German, they are:
    Top -- lavender, bergamot, lemon, juniper, clary sage, verbena
    Mid -- oregano, spruce, carnation, rose, geranium
    Base -- cedarwood, musk, labdanum, amber, tonka, sandalwood

I reviewed this a while ago, and I have further thoughts.
    What strikes me most about this is the affective quality or mood of this. Words like gentle, courtly, genteel seem appropriate. This has an old-school charm. It is a lovely green sort of scent, and I would say the green is a mid-tone rather than dark one. The actual colour of the juice is a medium gold, like an oak-aged chardonnay.
    The first phase is very enjoyable. There are fresh notes of citrus, lavender and juniper. There is an airy, "open" quality here. I get the sense of open spaces, a fresh breeze. Also, throughout the scent I find there to be very little pine. So the image I have is of an alpine meadow, rather than a deep forest; a scene of more light than deeply dark tones.
    In the second phase, there are some good but fleeting wood notes (cedar and sandalwood), and a little bit of spruce (but not much of the latter). And gradually the tonka yields its courmarin notes, and still we are strolling in a grassy field rather than a deep wood. Indeed, the coumarin plus the lavender give this a fougere character, although I suppose it should be classed as a chypre.
    The scent has good longevity on me; and I find it to be complex in a subtlle, somewhat easy-going way. I'm quite fond of this. Although it is not my holy grail "perfect pine" scent, it is quite distinctive. I always look forward to wearing it.

i just wore this as my SOTD yesterday.......absolutely brilliant. it lasted a good 24 hours on my skin....and i can still smell it in the clothes i wore yesterday. In this frigid NYC winter, i must have smelled like a walking human FOREST. i love this stuff.

it's funny that most of the people i this thread who have replied, i have spoken to over PM about this scent......and i hope everyone here finds a bottle. It's great stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    i just wore this as my SOTD yesterday.......absolutely brilliant. it lasted a good 24 hours on my skin....and i can still smell it in the clothes i wore yesterday. In this frigid NYC winter, i must have smelled like a walking human FOREST. i love this stuff....
    Welcome, everso! Good to hear from you. Glad you are enjoying it.
    odysseusm