Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Burr gives Angel five stars

'Just as a woman refreshes herself with a spritz of cologne, perfume is an art that is never static. Angel, for example, revolutionized the aesthetics of perfumery by reinventing the gourmand school. Thierry Mugler told his creative directors he wanted a scent that recalled the sweetness of youth — chocolate, honey, pralines. Shalimar had been there before: it brought the gourmand school into being in 1925 with the molecule ethyl vanillin (which smells like a thousand vanilla milkshakes), but it took Angel’s perfumer, Olivier Cresp, to restore it. ...'

Read the full review on the NYT Style Magazine online here.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Burr gives Angel five stars

Glad to see Angel finally getting some recognition. (It deserves it, though.)

Sur la Plage

I wholeheartedly agree - for a change.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Yes, Angel revolutionized the world of perfume (even if I personally cannot wear it). It is the last perfumed covered in Michael Edwards book.

Yay! It deserves every one of those 5 stars.

Sadly, love it on others but hate it on me.

No matter what we think of it, Angel is an iconic perfume and deserves its 5*
    status in my book. If it were less readily available I think people would appreciate it
    more. I like it occasionally and in small doses.
    Last edited by kewart; 15th January 2009 at 11:13 AM.

It is my favourite smell ever.I'm lucky I can smell the chocolate & vanilla on me.None of my other perfumes have so much staying power with using so little.The body products are divine too.

I am coming closer to having to rewrite my one-star review for this one.
    I had recoiled in disgust at the topnotes and was unable to wear it.
    Then, much later, I smelled the sweet patchouli base on a friend of mine and I was shocked to realize that:::I:::liked:::Angel.

There seems to be no in between with Angel.It either agrees with you or it doesn't.

Basenotes Institution

When this scent came out, my aunt (who is slightly anosmic) loved it. She was thrilled to find a scent she could actually smell! She had the scent, the body lotion, the candle...everything. Just going over to her apartment, you could smell the scent when you walked into the front door.

More recently, I rarely smell it on women anymore here in Miami. The other day I followed a young girl, when we were both walking from the parking lot to the gym, and she smelled wonderfully of Angel. I thought she smelled fantastic.

bleu autumn haze

Many of you know that I adore Angel ... I wore her exclusively for years and I still claim her as my favorite. I've always said that Angel picks you ... she can be a fickle beyotch when it comes to deciding who she should smile on.

A co-worker started wearing Angel after smelling it on me. I have to say it never really worked out for her, the patchouli just screamed on her. One day, she got close and said "mmm you smell nice, what are you wearing today?" Angel. "No way, my Angel doesn't smell like that." I just smiled and said "I know."

Angel is such a compliment magnet for me, I can't even begin to count the number of compliments I've received while wearing Angel over the years. Add another one just this morning! I'm lucky that Angel never really has been all that popular here. Even now, I find people who have never heard of Angel after asking me what I'm wearing. Only one of the Dillards in town carries it.

Sometimes I feel sort of sorry for you ladies that can not wear Angel. She is like a dear friend to me. Someone I turn to on difficult days, for happy celebrations and everything in between.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

My ever-evolving opinion of the queen "Angel" has taken me from:

Way overpowering! to
    "You smell very nice, what scent are you wearing?" to
    Whoa, that's alot of patchouli! to
    Too sweet! to
    It smells a bit manly...

I actually LOVE that it is bold, sweet, loaded with clean patchouli, smells great on others ~ and particularly on men...I just don't like to wear it! Shalimar does the same thing to me. Not every masterpiece is for every person.

Basenotes Plus

I love Angel now, but it wasn't always so. In 1997 I was pregnant with my son. Nausea during the first trimester, a hyperawareness of and sensitivity to smells for the remainder. Angel was ubiquitous here in those days; you couldn't throw an atomizer without hitting someone wearing it. I came across it on women of all ages, from matrons to young professionals to teens. (Even my internist wore it back then!) I just couldn't get on with it.

Anyway, the Angel brigade gradually thinned out considerably over time, to the point that I was hardly ever smelling it here anymore. As a lover of orientals and gourmands, I eventually tried it again. First the body creme -- heavenly, a highly wearable form for me. Much more recently, I was in Sephora and there, of course, sat the Angel tester. I picked it up and sprayed and...bam! What was this?! The fragrance unfolded for me in a slow, voluptuous cascade, each note delightfully present and accounted for. I bought some on the spot and the rest is history. Angel is now one of my top favorites.
    Last edited by tdem1961; 16th January 2009 at 11:59 AM.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain