Code of Conduct

Default Changing formula of Annick Goutal Vetiver? Or counterfeit item?

I`d like to get help from Vetiver-lovers - those of you that have got Vetiver by Annick Goutal.
    Brief story: my bottle is running low, so I went on e-bay and bought there (seller andyfrog, from Hawaii) the new 100 ml of EDT in box. With some Les Orientalistes EDT and body products for my wife.
    The package arrived safe, all the boxes were in good condition, bottles were full, so I leaved a positive feedback and presented Ambre, Myrrhe and Encens to my DW.
    Yesterday I sprayed new Vetiver for the very first time.
    The smell is just vetiver.
    No marine fresh accent of seaweeds, no eugenol-pepper-spices, nothing!!!
    Also it`s weeker than old juice.
    I made a blind test - sprayed old juice from the previous bottle to one hand, and the new juice - on another. My wife who is not a perfume devoted person - find the big difference immediately too.

So the questions are:
    - Did AG change the formula of Vetiver?
    - Or the seller sold me the false thing (counterfeit item)?

Also I checked out the flacons and boxes. They are the very same, while the colours of etiquette is differing to yellowish side of spectrum.

The difference is on the flacon bottoms.
    My 100 ml bottles of AG has AG logo and letters Annick Goutal raised in glass.
    My 50 ml bottle of AG has letters `made in France`.
    The `strange bottle` has the very same form, but bears no AG logo or any letters. Just some numbers.

Could you check out your flacons, please?
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Default Re: Changing formula of Annick Goutal Vetiver? Or counterfeit item?

My 50ml bottle of Vetiver has this on the bottom in raised letters:

BOTTLE

MADE IN FRANCE

Partially written over BOTTLE in black characters are the numbers 683.

I also checked my 100ml bottles:

Duel: nothing on bottom of bottle except for small stamps (this is the frosted brown colored bottle)

Sables: same as for Duel but stamps better defined, also has 1247066 in black characters

Eau d'Hadrien: same as for Sables except number is 1132105

No logos or other writing on the bottoms of any of my 100ml bottles. But as far as I can tell, all of my bottles are legitmate.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 12th January 2009 at 12:47 PM.

my 50ml bottle has raised in leter:

BOTTLE
    MADE IN FRANCE

i do smell the salt and marine here.
    Sergey, there is a AG store i the Netherlands, i will contact them for you.
    and i will let u know about what they have to say about it.

i am afraind that ur bottle is a fake one. it costs exrta money to raise the letters or engrave letter in bottles.
    Last edited by moreda; 12th January 2009 at 12:49 PM.

My bottle of AG Vetiver (100 ml) was purchased in Paris in 2006 and it seems to be pretty much the same as the sample I was given at the same boutique in 1996. It has the AG logo, "Annick Goutal" & Made in France" as you described.

I made an even more recent purchase of Eau d'Hadrien near Barcelona (I believe June of 2007) which does not have those same markings - although the bottle itself seems to be of the same quality and dimension and there are a few numbers molded into the glass.

I've also made a purchase of Les Nuit d'Hadrien from the same ebayer which, like the Eau d'Hadrien bottle, does not have the raised in glass logo markings. I happen to have a sample of LNd'H which I received from another store in France over a year earlier. Comparing the two, they seem identical to my nose. I do not think the evidence is good enough to cast doubt on this particular ebay seller. What you write might indicate that the AG Vetiver has been reformulated. Not good news if it is true.
    Last edited by Delmar; 12th January 2009 at 05:39 PM.

Sur la Plage

I do not have Vetiver, but have some other AG fragrances.

The one 50ml bottle I have is the oldest. It says "Bottle Made in France" on the bottom.

The several 100ml bottles I have (bought within the past 2 years), just have some raised markings on the bottom - it's hard to tell what they say.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Perhaps chances are bigger that there has been a change of formula, or you somehow got a spoiled bottle, instead of a fake. As far as I know there are no Goutal counterfeits on the market. My Goutal bottles differ like people described above here as well.
    Last edited by BrothaG; 12th January 2009 at 04:50 PM.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG View Post
    Perhaps chances are bigger that there has been a change of formula, or you somehow got a spoiled bottle, instead of a fake. As far as I know there are no Goutal counterfeits on the market. My Goutal bottles differ like people described above here as well.
    I would tend to agree. How is it possible that there is any money to be made counterfeiting Annick Goutal's fragrances, especially Vetiver?!
    Does the atomizer feel like it has been pried open?

This is my favorite Vetiver. If there is a re-formulation, that would be sickening. Missing all that salty, marine goodness up top is a shame.
    I hope you get to the bottom of this. Please report back.

Thank you, guys, for sharing!!!

So, for now we could summarize it like this:
    Some 100 ml bottles has got logo, and some has not.
    50 ml bottles has only `made in France` mark.

As for the bottle - it`s quite simple to make it in China or even in France - as it is somewhat standard flacon. The examples of standard flacons of different simple form used by different brands you could see easily - Parfumery Generale Diolene bottles are the very same as new Stephanie de Saint-Aignan bottles (just painted in white).

But there is worst thing to say.
    The bottles are made to be decanted - spray is detachable. So it`s one more possibility to falsificate the juice. Just decant the true juice into any bottle and then pour in vetiver oil plus spirit and water.
    Sorry for that. Maybe it`s just bad luck for me. Not for every VetiverAG lovers.

So maybe I need to begin some discussion - WHAT SHOULD I ADD TO VETIVER OIL to make it close to AG version?
    What are the ingredients that makes it salty, marine, seaweed, spicy etc...?
    Evernyl?
    Oakmoss?
    Some peppery ingredients?
    Other suggestions?
    Last edited by moon_fish; 13th January 2009 at 04:06 AM. Reason: added
    Vetiver The Great!!!

think u should contct AG about this.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Thank you, guys, for sharing!!!

So, for now we could summarize it like this:
    Some 100 ml bottles has got logo, and some has not.
    50 ml bottles has only `made in France` mark.

As for the bottle - it`s quite simple to make it in China or even in France - as it is somewhat standard flacon. The examples of standard flacons of different simple form used by different brands you could see easily - Parfumery Generale Diolene bottles are the very same as new Stephanie de Saint-Aignan bottles (just painted in white).

But there is worst thing to say.
    The bottles are made to be decanted - spray is detachable. So it`s one more possibility to falsificate the juice. Just decant the true juice into any bottle and then pour in vetiver oil plus spirit and water.
    Sorry for that. Maybe it`s just bad luck for me. Not for every VetiverAG lovers.

So maybe I need to begin some discussion - WHAT SHOULD I ADD TO VETIVER OIL to make it close to AG version?
    What are the ingredients that makes it salty, marine, seaweed, spicy etc...?
    Evernyl?
    Oakmoss?
    Some peppery ingredients?
    Other suggestions?
    If anything, some seaweed absolute, I'd think.

Definitely not oakmoss or any treemoss. Black or even pink pepper might help a bit but it wouldn't really capture the wonderful iodine qualities of AG Vetiver's opening. And given the price of seaweed absolute, which I don't believe i've ever seen for under $25 or so for a small quantity, you might be best off just trying to track down a new bottle.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    think u should contct AG about this.
    Mo,
    and what could I tell them?
    Give me some hints how to produce your perfume? Unlikely...

Or you mean that I should report to AG about counterfeit item found on the market?
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    If anything, some seaweed absolute, I'd think.

Definitely not oakmoss or any treemoss. Black or even pink pepper might help a bit but it wouldn't really capture the wonderful iodine qualities of AG Vetiver's opening. And given the price of seaweed absolute, which I don't believe i've ever seen for under $25 or so for a small quantity, you might be best off just trying to track down a new bottle.
    I believe that should be some chemical, not natural ingredient with iodine marine profile.
    And pepper also could be synthetics.

As for the new bottle - I will do that. My wife loves it on me sooo much!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I just read the other day that AG is viewed very highly in some part of the world, I can't remember where now ....South America somewhere I think. If this is the case and they have high status, they may well be counterfeited like GIT.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

hirch_d,
    you`ve just killed me by the truth.
    Anyway, me and everyone else are aware that my bottle is counterfeit, so I keep it for unhuman chemical experiments. bwahaha!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    I`d like to get help from Vetiver-lovers - those of you that have got Vetiver by Annick Goutal.
    Brief story: my bottle is running low, so I went on e-bay and bought there (seller andyfrog, from Hawaii) the new 100 ml of EDT in box.

So what is the conclusion here....Is your bottle a fake?
    The seller has 19000+ feedback and its 100% positive.

Isn't it hard to maintain 100% positive feedback if you sell fakes even more so when you've done 19000 transactions?

Or is it that Annick Goutal Vetiver has been reformulated?

I am thinking of doing a blind buy and dug up this thread. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    So what is the conclusion here....Is your bottle a fake?
    The seller has 19000+ feedback and its 100% positive.

Isn't it hard to maintain 100% positive feedback if you sell fakes even more so when you've done 19000 transactions?

Or is it that Annick Goutal Vetiver has been reformulated?

I am thinking of doing a blind buy and dug up this thread. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    I have a sample from a few years back, and the bottle from the same seller does smell different than the sample I have. I don't believe it might be counterfeit, as it doesn't smell of isopropyl alcohol as counterfeits typically do.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

I'd bought something from this ebay member in the past (a Goutal, Nuits de Hadrien [sp?], nothing seemed fishy about it), and from the poking around on the 'net, seemed like his reputation is solid. I can't remember where I'd read this now, but google andyfrog (or whatever the name is). I'm pretty sure it was one of the "other" perfume sites where I'd read this, one with a decent reputation.

Either way, I don't want to fully endorse this person, but I've not had any bad dealings in the past.

On another note, the AG Vetiver sample I got recently from TPC doesn't have any marine accord to it at all. In fact, I pretty much have abandoned it as another pungent vetiver akin to Etro.

Does anyone have any reformulation info? It's a possibility....