Code of Conduct

Default Guys with Jardins de Bagatelle

I saw a few guys with Guerlain's Jardins de Bagatelle in their collection. Could these tell their opinion? I'm afraid the gardenia and tuberose scent will just be too loud and sweet for me...? But I like the spicy-coumarinic drydown.

Default Re: Guys with Jardins de Bagatelle

Amazingly, this perfume is not very sweet ! Floral freshness, slightly metallic and sharp as a razor blade, but still sufficiently feminine. In spite of that, the right man, extrovert and between 25 - 35 could make a lasting impression wearing it. I would have, around thirty, I am sure! Now I just admire the bottle with a sigh of resignation... ;-)

There are surprisingly few reviews on BN , but most of them are positive including the only review written by a man. He calls it 'very loud' and (yet) 'very, very pretty', I find it daringly elegant. Imagine a straight guy mimicking a well dressed garconne.
    Last edited by narcus; 11th January 2009 at 09:22 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I agree with Narcus and disagree with the reviewer he quoted.

I own the EDT version of this and I don't find it loud at all. As Narcus mentioned, it isn't very sweet, and to me the florals are not ostentatious at all, but rather well behaved, quiet and soft.

If men can wear Kenzo's Power I think some can certainly wear Jardins de Bagatelle. While they do not smell the same, a more important difference is in presentation, where Power has a bit of firmness to it and Jardins de Bagatelle is quite soft, as is usual for most perfumes traditionally marketed to women. But to me the florals do not come across at all as being obviously feminine.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 12th January 2009 at 02:49 PM.

It's good to read your impressions, I will continue trying it out. Wearing it now. I guess it's not as dry as I imagined it would be, but then again, none of the Jean-Paul Guerlains are dry, but more lush and "fruity". I get a kind of fruity-citrus-y scent from it. I need a very floral Guerlain in my collection so I'm quite eager to "get" this one!

Jardins de Bagatelles is a wonderful scent but unfortunately I very rarely smell it on someone. I do not think it's suitable for a MAN. The same goes for Chanel's No 5 Eau Première which is absolument ravissante. Will there ever be a "masculine" version? I'd be the first to buy it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Floral freshness, slightly metallic and sharp as a razor blade...
    narcus your description makes it sound aldehyde prominent. Is it? Mr. Guerlain?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

No aldehydes, no. Just spiky bergamot and sharp white, heady flowers underneath. Until now, I maybe feel that compared to for instance Chant d'Arômes, Chamade and Nahema, it's quite "non-descript" - to use Turin's often used word, and not too-too interesting. I may follow Turin's notion that it's the least favourite of the pre-Champs-Elysées/Mahora Guerlains. But I'm sure my mother will love this shining, floral scent.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    narcus your description makes it sound aldehyde prominent. Is it? Mr. Guerlain?

I think nondescript is a good word to use. While it seems well blended and smells nice, I agree that it doesn't come across as being as distinctive as most of the other Guerlains.

BTW, what concentrations are you all using? I'm using an EDT out of an older 125ml splash bottle. I'm trying to explain why I get a different impression of this scent than most of you. Perhaps you are using EDP, which might have a greater concentration of the feminine floral elements. If that's not it, then I suppose my sniffer might be out of whack.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 13th January 2009 at 03:00 AM.