Code of Conduct

Default Questions regarding scent creation (newbie)

It's great to find a place with so many knowledgeable folks -- I'm a bit new to all this so hopefully my questions don't come off as too naive.

I've been messing around with essential and fragrance oils for about a year, and while my skills (I use that term loosely) will need to be refined over the course of many, many years, I know enough to know that I love working with scents and thus am ready to make a leap. I've saved up around $4,000 for the purposes of investing in a miniature 'library' of EOs, master perfumer blends and aromachemicals from The Perfumer's Apprentice.. I almost just want to order one of everything they carry, in its smallest sizes, just so I have the widest range possible of scents so that I can have a somewhat decent foundation to build upon.

So my questions here are:

What books would you recommend someone in my shoes read? What are the essentials? I have seen some people on here mention "Poucher's Perfumes, Cosmetics and Soaps".. it's about 300 dollars from what I can tell, but if it's worth it then I'd order it without hesitation. Is the book worth it, in your opinion? What other books have you found especially useful?

Next, I'm looking for a book/guide/"how to" info regarding the actual process of blending, the physical act.. convenient methods, ways to easily gauge the percentages of EOs, etc.. to me, after learning the actual notes themselves, this seems to be the most daunting.. understanding how perfumers can replicate a scent infinitely with such precision.. how do you measure everything so precisely and keep perfect notes while creating a perfume consisting of 10, 20 or even more different elements?

Also, is there a method that allows the 'removal' of a scent? ie: You add too much of a certain note and need to go back a step or two.. is this impossible, or is this done by adding more of the surrounding scents to get the ratio back to how it was?

I also have infinite questions about carrier oils, why people choose absolutes of alcohol perfumes, what the pros/cons are of alcohol vs oil base (jojoba, for example) vs absolute, etc.

I basically have a million questions, but hopefully some of you can direct me toward some great books for beginners so that I don't annoy too many of you with my questions.

Thanks for reading

Default Re: Questions regarding scent creation (newbie)

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    It's great to find a place with so many knowledgeable folks -- I'm a bit new to all this so hopefully my questions don't come off as too naive.

I've been messing around with essential and fragrance oils for about a year, and while my skills (I use that term loosely) will need to be refined over the course of many, many years, I know enough to know that I love working with scents and thus am ready to make a leap. I've saved up around $4,000 for the purposes of investing in a miniature 'library' of EOs, master perfumer blends and aromachemicals from The Perfumer's Apprentice.. I almost just want to order one of everything they carry, in its smallest sizes, just so I have the widest range possible of scents so that I can have a somewhat decent foundation to build upon.

So my questions here are:

What books would you recommend someone in my shoes read? What are the essentials? I have seen some people on here mention "Poucher's Perfumes, Cosmetics and Soaps".. it's about 300 dollars from what I can tell, but if it's worth it then I'd order it without hesitation. Is the book worth it, in your opinion? What other books have you found especially useful?

Next, I'm looking for a book/guide/"how to" info regarding the actual process of blending, the physical act.. convenient methods, ways to easily gauge the percentages of EOs, etc.. to me, after learning the actual notes themselves, this seems to be the most daunting.. understanding how perfumers can replicate a scent infinitely with such precision.. how do you measure everything so precisely and keep perfect notes while creating a perfume consisting of 10, 20 or even more different elements?

Also, is there a method that allows the 'removal' of a scent? ie: You add too much of a certain note and need to go back a step or two.. is this impossible, or is this done by adding more of the surrounding scents to get the ratio back to how it was?

I also have infinite questions about carrier oils, why people choose absolutes of alcohol perfumes, what the pros/cons are of alcohol vs oil base (jojoba, for example) vs absolute, etc.

I basically have a million questions, but hopefully some of you can direct me toward some great books for beginners so that I don't annoy too many of you with my questions.

Thanks for reading
    The stickies at the top of this forum are a good place to start for some of your basic questions re: carriers, general blending principles, etc.

You can't remove a material you've added. Work in small quantities, or with diluted materials, to avoid waste.

Joining one or all of the Yahoo perfumery groups online will be helpful. Natural Perfumery, Botanical Perfumery, Making_Fragrances, Perfumemaking are a few of them to consider.

The PerfumersWorld free introductory online course will help.

There are a number of books on the subject, but no single book will tell you everything you need to know; there's no quick-and-dirty in perfumery. You have years of study ahead of you and I hope you'll relish every minute of it :-)

I know at least one Poucher book is available for free download; if I find a link I'll post it but you can likely find it with a Google search. His books are enjoyable as history, and helpful if you're interested in 19th century-style traditional (natural) perfumery.

For another look at how a perfumer works, I would recommend Chandler Burr's "The Perfect Scent," particularly for the half of the book dealing with JC Ellena's methods and creative process.

other books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=XD9...um=1&ct=result

http://www.amazon.com/Essence-Alchem.../dp/1586857029

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Formulation-.../dp/1870228103

http://allured.stores.yahoo.net/arpeandflmao.html

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-P.../dp/096087528X

I've heard these are quite worthwhile:

http://allured.stores.yahoo.net/pefl25yecd.html
    http://allured.stores.yahoo.net/peteinev2nde.html

Heather has a good list of perfumery books on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/re...d=G7EB7O2VOUE9
    Last edited by caribou55313; 12th January 2009 at 03:53 PM.

Default Re: Questions regarding scent creation (newbie)

Excellent! Thank you so much for all these links.. and I completely missed the stickies at the top of the page.. about to read those threads now.

I did find one of the Poucher's books online, the 10th edition, but it didn't seem to have all the substance about perfume that his Vol 2 book had.. that one seems to be the one I'll need to seek out (in addition to all these other sources you provided - thanks again!)

And yes, definitely relishing the whole learning process.. thanks again for responding