Code of Conduct

Default Salt Scrubs - can't live without 'em!

Anyone else here a salt scrub fan?
    I find them very therapeutic, they help me to shift gears from working in a high adrenalin healthcare setting to "normal" life.

My favorites:
    anything by Trillium
    Hugo's Naturals, Dead Sea Salt and Lavender. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Do you have favorite brands or flavors? I'd like to try them.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Default Re: Salt Scrubs - can't live without 'em!

Oh yes! My favourite has been discontinued, I don't remember the name but the jar had a black and orange label and among its ingredients were rosemary and camphor.

But luckily I found a new fave: Mineral Beauty System Dead Sea Cosmetics : Dead Sea Salt & Essential Oils Body Scrub with Lavender.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 13th January 2009 at 12:54 PM.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Sur la Plage

I like salt scrubs from Philosophy - especially Margarita and Gingerbread Man - http://www.philosophy.com/web/store/...earchTerm=salt
    Last edited by petruccijc; 14th January 2009 at 03:19 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

I used to have salt scrubs from Bath & Body Works in the juniper breeze & plumeria scents. I don't think they make those anymore, but I'm not certain.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

The best that I've tried is LUSH ocean salt. It's also got enzymes so your skin really feels smooth afterwards. Back in the day I loved the Origins version for the scent but I remember it really left a lot of oil in the tub.

I like Trader Joe's Purify Grapefruit Chamomile Sea Salt Scrub.

(And because I have such a sweet tooth when it comes to scents, I also like sugar scrubs (Trader Joe's Purify Tangerine) and "Rice to the Rescue" - rice pudding body polish with rice milk, from B&BW.)
    Last edited by tang; 14th January 2009 at 07:13 AM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

+1 on the TJ's Purify Tangerine Sugar Scrub My wife and I alternate between that and the Bliss Lemon & Sage Body Scrub.
    I completely agree about the therapeutic nature of it all but I also think that it helps with the longevity of many of the scents I wear as I don't seem to have longevity issues that others report.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

looks like many have a salt scrub or two in their lives, and even in their pasts!
    Thanks for posting your recs. I want to try them all, little by little.

and yes, SMM, I think that it can help the longevity of frags. hmmm. like priming a canvas! only for scent.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I prefer sugar scrubs because they are not as harsh. I make my own from sugar, glycerin and essential oils.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Quote Originally Posted by analavande View Post
    I prefer sugar scrubs because they are not as harsh. I make my own from sugar, glycerin and essential oils.
    I too prefer sugar scrubs and make my own using virgin coconut oil and a smaller amount of shea butter, with various oils for fragrance.
    Last edited by caribou55313; 27th February 2009 at 04:41 PM.

I have Maple Sugar Lychee Nut scrub by Diana B but I have a hard time with it. The first time I used it was fine, but I left it on the ledge under the window in my shower and now it gets really hard, rock solid in fact, on the top of it. I can use a butter knife or a fork to break it up and use again, but it's a pain to keep doing that. If anyone knows why that happened or how I can prevent it from happening again, I'd love to know. I wonder if the sun sort of "cooked" the sugar.

I've started using Bliss Carrot and Sesame Body Buff (salt instead of sugar) instead but really prefered the scent of the Diana B.

Quote Originally Posted by caribou55313 View Post
    I too prefer sugar scrubs and make my own using virgin coconut oil and a smaller amount of shea butter, with various oils for fragrance.
    Interesting ideas. I have made my own sugar scrubs from adding sugar to whatever body wash I had on hand.

Any salt scrub fan needs to try Nancy Boy salt scrub (nancyboy.com). It starts off very salty and within about a minute turns into an oil-rich moisturizing experience. The best thing of its kind I've found since a discontinued Body Shoppe one I used to love.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I have Maple Sugar Lychee Nut scrub by Diana B but I have a hard time with it. The first time I used it was fine, but I left it on the ledge under the window in my shower and now it gets really hard, rock solid in fact, on the top of it. I can use a butter knife or a fork to break it up and use again, but it's a pain to keep doing that. If anyone knows why that happened or how I can prevent it from happening again, I'd love to know. I wonder if the sun sort of "cooked" the sugar.

I've started using Bliss Carrot and Sesame Body Buff (salt instead of sugar) instead but really prefered the scent of the Diana B.
    I have the same experience with sugar scrubs, which is why I prefer the salt. Though analavande and caribou are not the first I have heard describe sugar scrubs as more gentle.
    perhaps they need to be ultra fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Any salt scrub fan needs to try Nancy Boy salt scrub (nancyboy.com). It starts off very salty and within about a minute turns into an oil-rich moisturizing experience. The best thing of its kind I've found since a discontinued Body Shoppe one I used to love.
    this sounds deliciously tempting. thanks for the reco.

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    I have the same experience with sugar scrubs, which is why I prefer the salt. Though analavande and caribou are not the first I have heard describe sugar scrubs as more gentle.
    perhaps they need to be ultra fresh.
    I make small batches and use them very quickly; haven't had any get hard, but then mine are always mixed with oil and shea butter, maybe that's why? Also I don't have any sunlight in my bathroom (I wish!), not sure if that plays a role in hardening or not.

Quote Originally Posted by caribou55313 View Post
    Do be aware that most sugar scrubs you buy in shops are actually mostly made of salts, with a bit of sugar in them

(I make a mean home-made scrub with sugar, salt, oil and dessicated coconut - not that hard, though I can't always be bothered due to lack of space and time).

Advertisement Promotion:

My advice here won't be seen as unbiased because I work for these guys, but if you love salt scrubs, DO try Lush Ocean Salt. It's so refreshing and leaves your skin glowing. I have sensitive skin and I sometimes use it even on my face! I love the citrus scent and the texture of it. It is made by hand in huge cauldrons! They soak limes in vodka and add creamy coconut & avocado and lots of salt of course.

Just general advice about scrubbing and exfoliating: be careful not to use too many scrubs, exfoliating products, pads and liquid foaming cleansers (moderation is fine and I've tried/use all of the above). Over-use, however, will create a vicious circle: you cleanse away a little too effectively and in the process, end up disturbing your skin's natural protective layer (of oils, microflora and dead skin cells). That, then leaves your skin more prone for bacterial infections, redness and irritation (which can result in acne and blemishes), which causes you to think that you must cleanse more. Rinse and repeat (pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    I like Trader Joe's Purify Grapefruit Chamomile Sea Salt Scrub.

(And because I have such a sweet tooth when it comes to scents, I also like sugar scrubs (Trader Joe's Purify Tangerine) and "Rice to the Rescue" - rice pudding body polish with rice milk, from B&BW.)
    I like TJs also...and the price is right. I use both of those you mention, Tang, but prefer the Tangerine Sugar Scrub. It smells GREAT.
    Also...
    I make my own salt or sugar scrub using organic coconut oil (you can also use olive oil or almond oil). Sometimes I'll add fragrance (especially something that's easy to layer). Occasionally I'll put in additional moisturizers (like samples from sephora), and finally salt or sugar. Easy AND cheap! You just need to avoid any water based ingredients because they'll melt the sugar or salt.

I use sugar scrubs. I started out with the Fresh Brown Sugar Scrub, which is pricey. They now have a great smelling Acai scrub, with a matching body cream. I switch it up with scrubs from LaLicious (granules are finer and the scents are delicious), Pure Fiji, and Jo Malone (HUGE container and lasts a long time). I usually buy these on sale or during a promotion. I'm going to start looking into making my own.
    Last edited by shiba_inu; 11th June 2009 at 04:18 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I LOVE body scrubs and am very particular about the ones I use. My skin is very sensitive and so is my daughters. We are a house hold of natural redheads, so sensitive skin is always a concern.
    I love Villainess' Smooch moisturising body scrubs. Datura has jojoba beads in it & is very moisturinging but Gingersnapped is me & my daughters favorite. I buy it for Sofie for the holidays.http://www.villainess.net/smooch/
    Two others we enjoy are Aedes ADV Sea Salt Exfoliator Lime Coconut. Huge tub & lasts forever. It's price but a little goes a long way. Top quality ingredients. http://www.aedes.com/product.php?product_id=520
    And lastly, Sabon's Foamy Scrub in a variety of scents but my favorite is Patchouli Lavender Vanilla. http://sabonnyc.com/index.cfm/a/cata...how/catid/1563