Code of Conduct

Default A question for muslims BNoters or those in the Middle East: Hajj-al-Aswad perfume

Hello there,

I found "Hajj-al-Aswad" perfume in a local store selling Egyptian goods, did some research over the Internet and found that information regarding the Hajj rite and sites selling Hajj perfume, but the information wasn't clear as to the nature of the perfume in terms of use and composition. So,the uquestions would be if it is a perfume made for the ritual and what is it made of.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: A question for muslims BNoters or those in the Middle East: Hajj-al-Aswad perfume

additional question, are there Muslims who forbid fragrances due to the alcohol base?
    'Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a fatal lack of imagination" Oscar Wilde

Default Re: A question for muslims BNoters or those in the Middle East: Hajj-al-Aswad perfume

Hajar Al Aswad is the famous black stone, thought to be a meteorite, set into the Kaabah, the building inside the Sacred Mosque in Mecca.

I think there are many types of Hajar Al Aswad perfumes, some cheap, some expensive, probably all oil based, mostly sold to visitors to Mecca as souvenirs.

I can't tell you anything at all about the quality, but it probably ranges from very poor to pretty good. If you're interested and the price is cheap, you might buy it as a curiosity. But if it is expensive, I'd think twice about buying it without smelling it first.

About whether alcohol use in perfumery is forbidden to Muslims, there are probably as many different answers as there are clerics.

Based on my experience living and traveling in the Middle East, many Muslims aren't bothered at all by alcohol in perfume. But I'm sure that there are some who consider it a no-no.

noggs
    Currently wearing: Tardes by Carner Barcelona

Blog Entries

Hajr ul Aswad (translated Black Stone) is a well-blended musky, floral and woody mix. In western terms, it would be classified as oriental. Its very affordable in general. There is nothing like it in designer perfumes, but its a safe bet that you would enjoy it if you like Guerlain Heritage.

Regarding not wearing alcohol, I am not aware of any scholars who might have given an opinion forbidding it. But then again, we are living in an age where anybody who can read and google considers himself a scholar with no regard for authentic scholarship :-)
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

If it's a local store and it's cheap, go ahead, you may be pleasantly surprised.
    And yes, there are lots who will not wear alcohol-based, and lots who will advise against it.
    I don't drink alcohol, and don't wear alcohol-based frags on my skin...I only spray on fabric, never on skin, but more for sillage/longevity than any spiritual/religious aversion

Since we have some knowledgable people here, I'd like to pose some further issues.
    * There is a certain commercialization of the Hajj pilgrimage here. It is a fairly common practice to have souvenirs associated with pilgrimage sites, as evidence that one has been to the sacred site.
    * I was under the impression that the wearing of perfume during the Hajj period at Mecca and Medina was discouraged, being inappropriate to the state of ihram one seeks at that time.
    Any reactions to this??
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Since we have some knowledgable people here, I'd like to pose some further issues.
    * There is a certain commercialization of the Hajj pilgrimage here. It is a fairly common practice to have souvenirs associated with pilgrimage sites, as evidence that one has been to the sacred site.
    * I was under the impression that the wearing of perfume during the Hajj period at Mecca and Medina was discouraged, being inappropriate to the state of ihram one seeks at that time.
    Any reactions to this??
    Unfortunately, the commercial aspect has been dwarfing pretty much everything else lately. Until so recently, muslims might have built the most luxurious palaces all over, but left Makkah intact devoid of much materialism. Materialism has reached such a point that big name luxurious hotels are staring you right in the eye what should theoretically be your very intimate encounters. They even advertise certain views and charge more accordingly for those rooms. That has more to do with certain ideologies in power in the arabian peninsula that despise everything philosophical or spiritual.

You are right about the second point (during Hajj, and not in Medina).

Having said that, lets get back to fragrance talk :-)
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by ++++ View Post
    additional question, are there Muslims who forbid fragrances due to the alcohol base?
    I don't have any reservations about alcohol content in perfumes since I don't plan on drinking my EDT!
    Plus I've smelled plenty of the usual designer fragrances on some of the other brothers at our mosque, so they don't seem to have a problem with it either.

As far as "Hajar Al Aswad" perfumes go, crescentbeauty.com has a 'black stone' fragrance that is of pretty decent quality. Most of the perfumes on this site are based around the same theme of rose, oud, sandalwood and saffron. The cool thing about crescentbeauty is that you get a BIG grip of samples with your purchase!

EDIT: I just checked their site and they no longer have 'Hajar Al Aswad'! But, they do have an EDT called 'Oud Mubakhar' which is almost identical to Montale's 'Black Aoud' minus the labdanum note, but a higher concentration of oud and sandalwood instead -for about $35! Just be sure to get the spray, not the oil or 'dhen' which is a whole other animal.
    Last edited by Manuel; 13th January 2009 at 11:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Interesting thread, right now my History class is studying Islam, I'm wondering what to do as an extra credit project, and I think I just found it
    I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc

Thanks to Mudassir. I teach and study in this area, so current events and perspectives are of the greatest interest to me. I appreciate your comments.
    Cheers!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Thanks to everybody: the perfume costed USD 3 so I bought it. It smells really nice, it is an oily substance, clearly oriental, however I can hardly distinguish the notes in it... feels the makers used essences uncommon in western perfumery.

Unfortunately, it is very light. I might have a reason for it, accoridng to one (¿reliable / unreliable?) source in the Internet, the use of perfume would not be strictly forbidden during the pilgirmage: the state of Ihram would not be afected it the use of perfume would be done according to certain rules, prudence being the criterium.

Regarding Manny's suggestion, you got me including one more item in my wish list... LOL

I think the different variations are based on the anointing of the stone with a perfume oil. Usually a mixture of sandalwood, oud, rose and musk.

My Al Hajar al Aswad EdT spray is from Al Qurashi. Notes: musk, amber, narcissus, flowers (incl. rose), sandalwood.
    Great sillage and staying power, I can smell it all day long. It costs ca. 70,- USD (100 ml).
    There is a CPO too which costs ca. 250,- USD (one tola).