Code of Conduct

Default Heritage or L'Instant

Both of these Guerlain classics seem to get many positive reviews. It seems to me that there may be similarities between the two, and was wondering if you feel that there could be room in one's wardrobe for both. (Yeah, yeah, I know - always room for one more). : )

If yes, how would you spell out the differences, and the occasions for which they may be used?

Thanks.

Default Re: Heritage or L'Instant

Took me AGES to get both. I long dismissed L'Instant as a "poorer" Héritage. I've come to the conclusion that they are equally marvellous and can be had at the same time.

They are both quite radiant, but Héritage the most because of a very sparkling bergamot, some lavender and it's more spicy with pepper and coriander. It's the most "classic" and "old-fashioned" of the two, and it's VERY Guerlain. L'Instant feels more "modern" but with the typical, perfect coumarin-wood-patchouli of a masculine Guerlain. It's also sparkling, but in a more "gourmand" and "round" way because of its anise top. It's also a bit more bitter because of some pine-y elemi resin.

I use Héritage when I want to feel very classically Guerlain and very "grown-up", and L'Instant when I want a more modern-young but still obviously Guerlain feel.

PS: Sometimes the very heavy use of patchouli in L'Instant can annoy me the day after, where it smells a bit cold and dark and actually a bit too "modernly butch". Héritage leaves you in a more bright and soft mood the day after (a bit like Habit Rouge and Shalimar do). One must bear in mind that L'Instant doesn't contain any vanilla.

L´Instante Perfume (extreme)
    I love it.

I've only tried Heritage, and so far I'm loving it more and more.

Heritage is one of my all-time favorites.

Unfortunately, L'Instant is too much of a gourmand on my skin.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Get both! But get the L'Instant Extreme. I find the regular to be a powder bomb. The extreme is richer and deeper and has no powder to it. Heritage is class in a bottle.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    ... get the L'Instant Extreme. I find the regular to be a powder bomb.
    I'd say it's a patchouli-coumarin bomb. The EdP is an anise-cocoa bomb which is more refined.

Basenotes Institution

I love and own both (the EdT of Heritage and the EdP of L'Instant PH)
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I sprayed one on each arm (EdTs) and it's really bringing all you guys' comments into sharp focus. The opening bergamot/lavender blast in Heritage is bright and beautiful, settling in quickly to spicy woods, then coumarin, patchouli and who knows what else. By contrast, l'Instant's opening is softer and more gourmand. Ozmoz lists "badian crystals" in the top notes. What are badian crystals, you ask? Do a Google search and you'll find out - NOT. Ozmos also lists pepper, tea, and cocoa notes.

Although the two are more alike than not, I have to go with Heritage as my favorite of the two. Of course, I own them both, so the point is moot! Buy both in 100ml bottles for less than you'd pay for a 30ml Creed mini bottle (unfair comparison, I know)...
    Last edited by Snafoo; 13th January 2009 at 10:45 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Héritage is my wife's favorite from my wardrobe.

L'Instant (the Eau Extreme EDP version) is the first scent that caught the attention of a co-worker (today!) who said I smelled wonderful and she can't wait to get a bottle for her husband.

I think one should have both in the arsenal.
    ...James

I received my very first bottle of l'Instant today. 125ml EDT. I'd initially ordered the EDP from another supplier but they got back to me with the fateful message "not in stock"! It will take me a few wears to get my head around it and for the notes to fall into place. But my initial reaction is very positive. However I find it very light and fleeting, similar to Adventure in that regard, so much so I had to spritz myself a few more times an hour later. That seemed to re-awaken and intensify the scent. It will be my SotD tomorrow!
    Yet to experience l'Héritage.

I have to admit I like and wear L´Instant pour homme more than Heritage. Both the edt and the edp versions. I finished the edp version, and I really think I need to restock.
    Heritage smells like a rich old fart to me. Good, but not me. L´Instant is more of this time.

Do you guys think that L`Instant is more a daytime/office scent, than a evening scent? Maby a "all ocation" scent?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Do you guys think that L`Instant is more a daytime/office scent, than a evening scent? Maybe an "all occasion" scent?
    I would say that it's a wear-anytime scent, and definitely more so than Heritage EdT. There's no escape from Heritage, especially when it's overapplied, so it's not one that I reach for when I'm going to be sitting in a closed meeting room all day.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 14th January 2009 at 10:20 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

smeller

L'Instant is much more versatile, no doubt about it. I can even see it as an office scent if you push the envelope a little bit, and it's certainly suited as an evening scent.

Heritage is one of those "very special occasions" scent, like Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme, which requires a super classy environment to you feel at home with it (even there, it may be too much).