Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for a classy citrus (not Eau Sauvage)...

... that would be suitable for daily office wear and has a decent amount of sillage and longevity. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Looking for a classy citrus (not Eau Sauvage)...

Nothing is classier then Chanel Eau de Cologne, though it's pricey. Hermes Eau de Orange Vert, Lubin's Eau Nueve de Lubin, and Chanel Allure Homme Sport and Edition Blanche are all good.

i'm sure you would have tried these...presuming you dont want niche scents...here are some u cud look into..

L'eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake
    Uomo or Freinds by Moschino
    Lalique Ph (lion)
    Jill Sander Sun Men
    ST Dupont Ph
    Unforgivable by Sean John
    Last edited by jenson; 13th January 2009 at 06:34 PM.

You might be surprised at how good D&G Masculine is. It's one of the most beautiful, simple, satisfying citruses I've ever smelled. And it can be had for cheap. I know that on the directory it has mixed reviews, but it's really wonderful. I get really good longevity and sillage when I wear it. There's a touch of mellow vanilla in the base.

To me, this scent conjures the happy feelings of childhood --running home from the last day of school before summer vacation. This one is fantastic.

Sur la Plage

Nina Ricci Signoricci - classy citrus in a bottle.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 13th January 2009 at 06:42 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Signoricci (the last one) comes to mind, as do both Castile and Boucheron Homme.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I agree, but too shortlived, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Ender; 13th January 2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: I was referring to Signoricci

Rochas Eau pour Homme.

Amazing
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    I personally do not find Signoricci short-lived. But we all have different body chemistry.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I happen to think that the best citrus is Eau de Guerlain, but, alas, it's gone after 5 seconds.

I really like Signoricci and the wonderful Eau de Rochas pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I personally do not find Signoricci short-lived. But we all have different body chemistry.
    Yeah. The only scents that seem to last more than six hours on me are heavy, amber based orientals, which I deeply hate.

Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955)
    Last edited by brianroy; 13th January 2009 at 06:55 PM.
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

I usually don't suggest niche, but MPG Pour le Jeune Homme came to mind. Great longevity. Powerful enough.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

This one was a great dissapointment. Five minutes of beauty followed by two hours of boredom.

Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo opens with a beautiful neroli/bergamot accord and holds onto a significant amount of citrus through its progression into vetiver/resins. I wouldn't say the longevity is wonderful but it's quite good for a citrus and some mention excellent longevity in their reviews.

I had a sample Creeds Citrus Bigarrade. I thought it was wonderful. It will need refreshing every three hours or so.

akdeluxe

Blog Entries

Nina Ricco Signoricci and Czeck & Speake Citrus Paradisi are my favorites in this genre.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Red face Re: Looking for a classy citrus (not Eau Sauvage)...

Bonds Little Italy- Clementine and grapefruit

Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe View Post
    I had a sample Creeds Citrus Bigarrade. It will need refreshing every three hours or so.
    Which is quite costly...

Just realized that I have confounded this with "Cologne Bigarrade" by Malle. Which would be really costly...
    Last edited by Ender; 13th January 2009 at 07:13 PM.

Huge woods and classy citrus: Homme de Gres

It's an obvious one, but since nobody's mentioned it yet: Terre d'Hermes

Another vote for Boucheron PH, which was my SotD - very classy IMO.

Also Carolina Herrera - Herrera for men, which has lots of citrus with some tobacco thrown in

Boucheron Pour Homme.

Lightbulb Re: Looking for a classy citrus (not Eau Sauvage)...

Eau de Guerlain was my first thought.

I happen to think that the best citrus is Eau de Guerlain, but, alas, it's gone after 5 seconds.
    Not in my experience, just moisturize with some lotion and let it absorb, then spray/splash. This stuff has a great drydown on my skin.

My fav's are Divine Bergamot by The Different Company and Malle's Bigarade Concentree.

Sisley Eau De Campagne.
    Very classy and very citrusy (green). One of my favourite scents on a man.

I was thinking about this and realized that the note "citrus" is far too broad and encompassed thousands of fragrances. First, do you mean lemon/cedrat (Guerlain Eaux, Allure Sport), grapefruit (Floris Pink Grapefruit, Allure Edition Blanche, Guerlain AA Pampelune), orange (EdOV), or lime (Moustache)? Do you want light, airy citrus (Eau Neuve, Pour le Jeunne Homme) or thick, heavy citrus (Tiffanys for Men, PdN New York)? Citrus by itself is too broad.

The only citrus I am craving for is Neroli by Czech & Speake...
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Huge woods and classy citrus: Homme de Gres
    I second this one

I was very impressed with Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat (Guerlain) when I tested it in a shop a few months ago. I was sore tempted to buy it, but my budget only allowed one Guerlain that visit. If I were to buy a single citrus fragrance to represent the genre, I'd buy that one.

Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) is quite good too, but there's more going on there than citrus.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 13th January 2009 at 11:02 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Which is quite costly...

Just realized that I have confounded this with "Cologne Bigarrade" by Malle. Which would be really costly...

Yes..very. Thank god there are others.

akdeluxe

Wow ... when I think of a "classy citrus", the first thing that comes to mind is AdP Colonia Assoluta. Hard to believe no one has mentioned it yet. I first dismissed this one as I thought it smelled a bit too dated. But that's only the topnotes and after a couple minutes or so ... well ... it's a very classy citrus to me.

Currently the citruses that I find most satisfying are ADP Colonia and Miller Harris' Citron Citron.

I agree with bbBD that citrus is too broad and needs to be narrowed down.

Diorella
    YSL Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    Wow ... when I think of a "classy citrus", the first thing that comes to mind is AdP Colonia Assoluta. Hard to believe no one has mentioned it yet. I first dismissed this one as I thought it smelled a bit too dated. But that's only the topnotes and after a couple minutes or so ... well ... it's a very classy citrus to me.
    I love it too....even more so than its elder brother 'Acqua di Parma Colonia', which I can suggest as a good citrus fragrance.

Smile Re: Looking for a classy citrus (not Eau Sauvage)...

CD Diorella and CDG Soda
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Gandini 1896 Teak Wood, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Bond No.9 I Love NY Marriage Equality, Acqua di Parma Intensa Oud, Rasasi Faqat Lil Rijal, Slumberhouse Jeke extrait

Versace pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by penelope99 View Post
    Bonds Little Italy- Clementine and grapefruit
    This is a very very long lasting citrus scent, but I would not call it "classy", as it smells too much like candy, and not very natural/convincing. Very good recommendation for those who like sweetness/candied citrus, and want sillage and longevity.

As for "classy" citrus frags, the best imho are Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte & Creed's Selection Verte, but both have very poor longevity and sillage. Somewhat better in both longevity and sillahge, and just as classy, are Miller Harris' Tangerine Vert, and Hermes Concentre D'Orange Verte. Although the latter does not smell as "wet" as it's weaker cousin.

I have seen Domenico Caraceni's Ivy league described as a scent totally dominated by Citrus, and particularly a newly-developed very long-lasting citrus. The same technology that is used in Little Italy. I ahve not smelled "Ivy League", can anyone whom has confirm this ? And if so, is it more natural/classier than Little italy ?

Blog Entries

Yes, this one has nice longevity for me, and doesn't go bitter or off as easily as the normal Colonia does on me.

I also like Divine Bergamote (aka Bergamote), Creed Neroli Sauvage, Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne, and Creed Bois de Cedrat. Only the Chanel has decent longevity for me, but the Neroli Sauvage gets the most compliments. As far as longevity goes, I see nothing wrong with a noon refresher at work when wearing citrus. After all, why not enjoy the amazing topnotes of citrus at least twice a day?

^Yes, on original Colonia, the lavender does seem bitter on me, after the citrus fades, and before the sweet rose base comes thru.
    Wow ... when I think of a "classy citrus", the first thing that comes to mind is AdP Colonia Assoluta. Hard to believe no one has mentioned it yet. I first dismissed this one as I thought it smelled a bit too dated.
    Assoluta, to me, it shared just a little too much with original BRUT. Although, I agree all forms of Colonia are classy, and are all very citric.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 14th January 2009 at 02:35 AM.

Blog Entries

M:Men is by far the nicest citrus scent i've ever used/tried/bought.

i'm not a huge citrus fan, so i can't really say.....but M:Men is a fantastically constructed scent which isn't too expensive or hard to find. Definitely worth trying.

FM Bigarade Concentree is one of my favorites -- it's pretty unisex -- and I wear it almost every day. I can do that because it's so short-lived on me that before lunch I am ready to spray something new.

This is a fantastic thread. Thanks to all you guys--the thinking on one of the main genres of male fragrances here is really informative.

I come here too late though. Signoricci was my first thought so I have to third Tvlampboy and Petruccijc. Chalk up scores for those guys. I agree with Acqua di Parma too, already mentioned. I further agree with BbBD too, that the genre is huge. Given the size I want to be the first to add Caron's L'Anarchiste to the thread. It's weird, sure, but it's heavy to orange peel. Maybe hard to call it a citrus scent pure and simple since it has the clove/carnation, but the orange pith/peel note is citrus and very distinct.

Signoricci (which lasts and lasts for me), Acqua di Parma Colonia (also lasts), and L'Anarchiste (a sillage and duration monster).
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

100% agree.....I bought one bottle of Signoricci....Terrible mistake.....Only minutes.....or seconds....

Try YSL Pour homme Haute Concentration.....Lemons, lemons and lemons.....Very classy and super long lasting.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miller Harris - Citron Citron
    Miller Harris - Tangerine Vert
    Art of Shaving - Lemon Eau de Toilette
    Loewe - Para Hombre
    Loewe - Aqua de Loewe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post

I have seen Domenico Caraceni's Ivy league described as a scent totally dominated by Citrus, and particularly a newly-developed very long-lasting citrus. The same technology that is used in Little Italy. I ahve not smelled "Ivy League", can anyone whom has confirm this ? And if so, is it more natural/classier than Little italy ?
    What a nice surprise Ivy League was for me (Thanks Ziffy321 for sellin it to me). Its more of bergamot and mandarin than citrus. Mint isn't supposed to be one of the accords, but I'm not sure whats in there that gives me a minty smell. Ivy Leage doesn't get as much love as it deserves because of the 800lbs gorilla that Domenico Caraceni 1913 is.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Monsieur Balmain
    1881/Cerruti
    Snarky is as snarky does.

to me nothing more classsy than Cologne 68 from Guerlain
    then Tom Ford - Neroli Portofino
    & a simple & chic choice would be YSL pour homme

Many have been mentioned but I'll throw my suggestion into the ring.

CRAVACHE has amazing longevity for a classic citrus. Also (IMHO) a slightly warm and soothing feel that is absent in most others. Give it a sniff.
    Last edited by argogos; 14th January 2009 at 06:18 AM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Signoricci and Agua fresca de adolfo dominguez
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I'm going to second the recommendations for:

Art of Shaving - Lemon. A simple and fantastic lemon dominated scent with great longevity. Imagine AdP Colonia but more modern, more masculine, and without the rose (and with longevity!)

Versace PH - Tart citrus opening followed by more citrus and a huge dose of clary sage. Similar to Allure Homme Sport without the sweetness in the drydown. Citrus like feel throughout. Great longevity, moderate sillage.

And add a recommendation for:

Ineke - Derring Do: A metallic citrus with some magnolia in the heart. A bit more lighthearted than the above, more playful. Perhaps not classy in the traditional sense, but would make for a great office wear scent. Excellent Longevity, moderate sillage.

AdP Colonia Intensa: Haven't tried it, but from the reviews, it sounds like it would be up your alley. And up my alley, too. I tend to really appreciate Alberto Morillas' works, and I'm curious to see what he can do when given a bigger ingredient budget which I'd imagine AdP would provide. I'm going to be grabbing a sample of this soon.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 14th January 2009 at 09:00 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Three spring to mind immediately, two of which have already been mentioned:

Boucheron PH (the epitome of elegant citrus frags)
    YSL Pour Homme (the old one, not to be confused with the newer YSL L'Homme)

The third for me is something very close to my heart: Bowling Green. This is like a 'lighter version' of the YSL Pour Homme, and more 'modern' whatever that means, with a brilliant long-lasting citrus on a light woodsy, nutty base. I adore it. YSL is glorious too and a very simple composition of just lemon, thyme and vetiver. But I think it shows its age more than BG.

If it's citrus and classy you're after, and non-niche, these should be on your list.

Armani PH (the classic one)

Baby Blue Jeans. Classy, citrusy, and inexpensive
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Blog Entries

If not Eau Savage how about Diorella?

Guerlain Imperiale is on my radar. To my nose, its a classic citrus.

Lauder for Men has a dirty citrus.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    Guerlain Imperiale is on my radar. To my nose, its a classic citrus.
    Yes. And also very shortlived.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I was thinking about this and realized that the note "citrus" is far too broad and encompassed thousands of fragrances. First, do you mean lemon/cedrat (Guerlain Eaux, Allure Sport), grapefruit (Floris Pink Grapefruit, Allure Edition Blanche, Guerlain AA Pampelune), orange (EdOV), or lime (Moustache)? Do you want light, airy citrus (Eau Neuve, Pour le Jeunne Homme) or thick, heavy citrus (Tiffanys for Men, PdN New York)? Citrus by itself is too broad.
    Your absolutely right of course. By "citrus" I meant "lemon" actually.