Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The smell of Musk flavored Life Savers?

This past weekend Ray and I stumbled upon a little off-the-beaten-path shop in Ft. Lauderdale to pick up a birthday card for his sister. The shop, quite larger inside than it appeared from the tiny storefront, sells silly gag gifts, perverted greeting cards and the like. They also have a comprehensive and incredibly impressive selection of candies. Many of them, American candies that are no longer sold and were widely distributed more than 100 years ago, as well as confectionaries from Germany, UK, East Europe and abroad (50 different kinds of licorice - no lie). We spent nearly an hour going up and down the aisle, shreiking ever so often, 'OMG, they have _____ I used to love those when I was a kid!'.

When the owner was helping us pay for all of our items I asked him (half expecting him not to have it) if they sold Musk flavored Life Savers. I remember reading an article on them before, where the blogger mentioned food and perfume and the history of certain items like Sen Sen (imagine an oriental fragrance, in a candy), Choward’s® Violets (actually created with the help of Givaudan, the perfume manufacturer) and other related items.

As many of you know, I'm anosmic to certain musks. I can't smell them. I do smell a few. I can smell the one in the base notes of Lavender Water by Caldey Island Monastery. But the animalic accords that everyone talks about here in Musc Ravageur, Kiehl's Musk, Musc Koublai Khan and the like - well...I just DO NOT SMELL what the heck you guys do.

Naturally I wondered if I'd be able to smell the musk in Life Savers. Well the answer is...I'm not entirely sure.

Of course the Life Savers are sweet and the first note I detected was a chalky, almost antacid-style confectionary base. Then, something chemical...almost instantly - kind of like a slight vibration of flavor akin to the sensation you get when you put a coin in your mouth. I'm assuming this is what synthesized musk tastes like?? And then florals. Like sniffing the bottle cap of No. 5 by Chanel. I think I taste rose. What floral flavored cotton candy might smell like if there was such a thing (I'm waiting for Etat Libre d'Orange to release that as one of their notes, on their next fragrance...LOL). Not nausea inducing but odd, considering this scent is emanating from my mouth, along my tongue, up my nose. Longevity is amazing for a candy/mint. Atleast 30 minutes to an hour, I could still taste it.

Ray wouldn't even try one - he pushed away my hand when I offered him one.

I believe this is only distributed in Australia (correct me if I'm wrong), so have any of you Basenoters tasted these and if so, would you say they actually taste like a musk prominent fragrance? And if so, what fragrance?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The smell of Musk flavored Life Savers?

When I saw the topic of your thread I thought it might be about the difference between Tabac EDT vs. EDC.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have blue cheese anosmia?

I wonder when it comes to musks how much is down to personal taste and how much is down to musk anosmia. Khiels smells mostly floral to me; MKK is animalic, but not in the dirty way many describe - to me it's a fairly "clean" smell ( compared to, say, Eau D'Hermes or Rasa Extreme ).

I know I can smell some musk. Ever since someone pointed out that Mitchum's fragrance-free deodorant actually has a musk chemical in it, I can't not smell it.

Musk is the cleanest and in fact the least "animal" smelling of animalic ingredients I know. Maybe real musk smells more animalic; I wouldn't know.

I think musk lifesavers sound fun!
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 13th January 2009 at 10:11 PM.

For a long time, Musk Lifesavers, and other musk flavoured confectionary (lollies, as we call them in Australia) such as musk sticks were my reference for musk. When someone said a perfume contained musk, I expected to smell lifesavers. And to an extent, I still think of that as the "true" musk smell. Obviously I never met a musk deer.

Musk lollies to me have a complex, abstract flavour and smell which makes me think of rose - or rosewater, to be precise - with a little patchouli and some vanilla-powderiness and the tiniest hint of menthol, as well as, no doubt, countless other things. I love musk as a flavour, and was beside myself with joy to discover musk topped doughnuts a while ago.

In perfume, the closest thing I have come across to that lifesaver rendering of musk is probably Voleur de Rose. I've not much experience with VdR, but that was my first impression anyway. Occassionally I've got a hint of that musk lollie vibe in other fragrances - say Bulgari pour Homme, Kiehl's, Jovan musk - but it's buried way, way down in the mix.

Post Thanks / Like

So...wait...they actually manufactured entire rolls of life savers with one flavor for the whole pack...MUSK ???

WTF

Or are you saying that life savers used a little bit of musk in these, and the regular flavors were only "enhanced" by the "musk" ??

Also, can you smell the deepest note underneath the cedar/waxy-ambergris in Himalaya?...that is musk.

Post Thanks / Like

In Australia you can get Musk lifesavers, in fact I think that Musk and a flavor called Thirst are two fo teh best of the line. Musk candies in Oz are quite common, just about every kid who I grew up with liked the bright pink soft musk sticks, flavored with a clean "white" musk type of smell with a touch of something floral. In fact there was one musk scent that I reviewed or commented upon (I can't remember which) that I drew the comparision between Musk Lifesavers and the perfume.

http://about-australia-shop.com/popu...e8ae3a7812c24d
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, thinking about Musk Lifesavers and musk sticks gave me a craving for another Aussie favorite... eucalyptus drops. I might just have to place an order...
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Do you have blue cheese anosmia?
    LOL

Blue Cheese Life Savers - that's my next exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarpanic View Post
    For a long time, Musk Lifesavers, and other musk flavoured confectionary (lollies, as we call them in Australia) such as musk sticks were my reference for musk. When someone said a perfume contained musk, I expected to smell lifesavers. And to an extent, I still think of that as the "true" musk smell. Obviously I never met a musk deer...

...In perfume, the closest thing I have come across to that lifesaver rendering of musk is probably Voleur de Rose. I've not much experience with VdR, but that was my first impression anyway. Occassionally I've got a hint of that musk lollie vibe in other fragrances - say Bulgari pour Homme, Kiehl's, Jovan musk - but it's buried way, way down in the mix.
    That makes total sense lunapanic - I did not realize musk was such a popular flavor in Australia. Wow! It makes me think of how we Americans associate the smell of lemon oil with furniture polish. A very popular furniture polish (named Pledge) smells like lemon and so many US Basenoters will be turned off by a scent that features a strong lemon oil accord because to their nose it smells 'like furniture polish' whereas to a European or someone with no associations to lemon scented furniture polish it just smells like lemons!

I am familiar with Voleur de Roses (it was my first full bottle from L'Artisan), and yet I smelled NO musk in it. Hmm....

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    In Australia you can get Musk lifesavers, in fact I think that Musk and a flavor called Thirst are two fo teh best of the line. Musk candies in Oz are quite common, just about every kid who I grew up with liked the bright pink soft musk sticks, flavored with a clean "white" musk type of smell with a touch of something floral. In fact there was one musk scent that I reviewed or commented upon (I can't remember which) that I drew the comparision between Musk Lifesavers and the perfume.

http://about-australia-shop.com/popu...e8ae3a7812c24d
    That's amazing surreality. I cannot think of even one US candy that is flower flavored.

Tip: US Basenoters can buy Musk Life Savers at CyberCandy.co.uk
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th January 2009 at 04:05 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Mike, musk flavored Life-Savers sounds like something I might dream up when I've taken a good sleeping pill. I might be dreaming this whole thing up right now. Somebody pinch me.

Man, I hope I run across these someday. I just saw that link, so I may have to order some. I wonder what kind of musk ingredients are in them. The thought of ingesting certain musks doesn't sound all that healthful.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I grew up on a staple of Musk lollies and musk life savers in New Zealand and Australia. They have a very distinctive aroma - one that has happy associations for me

This particular kind of musk scent I have only come to recognise partially in two scents: C&S No88 and Agent Provocateur edp. There is a nice sharp musk note, one that hits the back of your throat, much in the same way smelling old pink moulded-plastic dolls from the 70s do. Kinda cheap and synthetic... this I get in the AP. However, there's a nice candied aspect, a bit similar to loukhoum, mixed with a dry husky note - those I get from C&S 88. Here is a post in which I mentioned their likeness, from 2007.

If Demeter came out with a "pink musk" spray, Id definitely get it for old times sake! If I recall correctly, I think I had my first french kiss the day I scoffed a heap of these! I seem to remember pink-stained lips and hot musky breath.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 14th January 2009 at 09:10 AM.

I received musk life savers as a gift but never have had the nerve.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the female CK Euphoria smelling like musk lollies, although I could be way off
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

I got a bag of musk sticks the other day !! & chomping away on one now
    oftopic >> Terre D'Hermes remind me of Jaffa's .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    LOL

I cannot think of even one US candy that is flower flavored.
    That does seem strange doesn't it? I wonder why.

My wife associates anything, musky or floral with perfume, I gave her a Turkish Delight once (rose water flavored candy covered with milk chocolate) and she nearly gagged, she can't stand Choward's Violet Candies, and won't even try musk sticks. Also, I've not found a place in the US that flavors Baklava with Rosewater or Orange Flower water as was/is common in Greek and Turkish communities in Wollongong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    That's amazing surreality. I cannot think of even one US candy that is flower flavored.
    Interesting. North of the border I can think of three fairly common ones - Turkish Delight, Parma Violets and Thrills Gum ( ostensibly rose flavored ). I don't remember seeing these on my trip to the US last summer, though I honestly wasn't looking.

There's a much bigger selection of flower candy in the UK for some reason. I remember some rather tasty rose and orange flower chocolate cremes I had over there.

Of course, their sweet food has some odd flavors sometimes. I remember Dandelion And Burdock pop, too.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Mike, musk flavored Life-Savers sounds like something I might dream up when I've taken a good sleeping pill. I might be dreaming this whole thing up right now. Somebody pinch me.

Man, I hope I run across these someday. I just saw that link, so I may have to order some. I wonder what kind of musk ingredients are in them. The thought of ingesting certain musks doesn't sound all that healthful.
    I know - when I first read about it, I gasped when I first read about it. I was lucky to have stumbled upon them.

I'm sure the musk is just a synthesized flavor (like all of the other artificial flavors in candy) and just as unsafe as all of the other crap we eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Mike, I grew up on a staple of Musk lollies and musk life savers in New Zealand and Australia. They have a very distinctive aroma - one that has happy associations for me

This particular kind of musk scent I have only come to recognise partially in two scents: C&S No88 and Agent Provocateur edp. There is a nice sharp musk note, one that hits the back of your throat, much in the same way smelling old pink moulded-plastic dolls from the 70s do. Kinda cheap and synthetic... this I get in the AP. However, there's a nice candied aspect, a bit similar to loukhoum, mixed with a dry husky note - those I get from C&S 88...
    Well, the rose note in the Life Savers is similar to No. 88, so I could see what you mean. But I smell no musk in No. 88, I'm gonna have to trust you on that. I've never smelled Agent Provocateur.

Your 'loukhoum mixed with a dry husky note' sounds like a great description of the taste.

Quote Originally Posted by CREDOGIT View Post
    I received musk life savers as a gift but never have had the nerve.
    LOL
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th January 2009 at 09:40 PM.

It's mega cold right now in the Midwest US and last night after work I was getting into my car and I reached for my chapstick (original flavor--black tube). It tasted really different. A bit like bubblegum at first-- then really woody... then I realized... this particular tube of chapstick had been sitting near the site where my bottle of Vettiveru got smashed. It was in a pile of things that I was sorting on the floor. So yes, I now have vetiver flavored chapstick. It was interesting when I didn't know what it was, but I don't know if I'll be using it again!

Also, my iPod shuffle was in that pile as well. Fortunately, despite being nearly saturated with Vettiveru, it still works-- and now permanently smells great!