Code of Conduct

Default A longer lasting version of Tom Ford's Noir De Noir?

I've grown rather fond of Tom Ford's Noir De Noir, but this fragrance has very poor longevity on me.

Any suggestions for similar fragrances? I have quite a few roses I like anyhow - Sa Majeste, Paestum Rose and No. 88 are my OT3 -but something about the whole raisin/rose combination in Noir de Noir appeals.

Default Re: A longer lasting version of Tom Ford's Noir De Noir?

Seriously? I honestly thought of scrubbing it off with an SOS pad 10 hours later!!

Wow, of the three TF I have, they last a good 8+ hours. Dry skin perhaps? I heard moisturizing the skin will do wonders on a scent. Of course, it will have to be "scentless".

Tobacco Vanille and the deadly Velvet Gardenia last forever, Moss Breches has about medium longevity, but Noir De Noir lasts about thirty minutes before becoming a ghost of patchouli ( i.e. just barely detectable ).

Ah well, I guess you win some; you lose some.

you have to be kidding me. Except if the tester was "more powerful" than the real juice (i often had this impression although i know it s wrong, and specially had it on Tom fort Japon noir when i bought it after sampling the tester )

I tried noir de noir from a tester and man i could still smell it on the wirst 24 hours later. and i usually don t have amazing longevity.

from the tester, this was one of the biggest longevity i had ever met, with Carnal Flower. i love the fragrance (N de N) as well.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Excellent longevity here too. Must be your skin or body chemistry, bummer. I wonder if you're anosmic to some of the base notes. Have you asked others around if you if they can smell it after it seems to have disappeared from your skin?

Quote Originally Posted by joxer96 View Post
    Excellent longevity here too. Must be your skin or body chemistry, bummer. I wonder if you're anosmic to some of the base notes. Have you asked others around if you if they can smell it after it seems to have disappeared from your skin?
    I haven't, actually. I think I'll make NdN my SotD and try that out.

Yes, ask others if they can still smell you. That stuff lasts for ever on me.

And I have not smelled anything quite like Noir de Noir. That said the closest thing (to my nose) is Black Orchid.

Bomb sillage and longevity for me as well.

Basenotes Institution

Galamb please do the 'can you smell me' test - I think it has above average longevity.

I don't really like it, though. I think it's the saffron (a difficult note for me).

To answer your original question: try Black Tie by Washington & Tremlett, another rose/saffron combo.

I used the rest of my sample. This time it lasted three hours before mostly disappearing... and others smelled the same thing. One said not there and another "I can just barely sort of smell it, but I wouldn't unless you pointed out where it was".

Another chapter in strange skin chemistry, I guess.

As an aside, I received an odd comment on first application - "I can't stand that - it smells just like sage!"

Wow!?!?! I am amazed, even with skin chemistry taken into consideration, that it would disappear so fast.

i tried this today and love it. so far great sillage and longevity (as do all of the TFs that i've tried).

i love Voleurs de Roses but, like pretty much all l'Artisans, has poor longevity and sillage on me.

Noir de Noir smells almost identical to VdR on me. (ok i don't have each on right now, but i wore VdR last night, so my memory is decent).

but $180 for 50ml? ugh. not sure if i'll spring for it. i'm already shelling out that much for Tobacco Vanille (which is btw the best tobacco i've worn: i've tried Fumerie Turque (Sp?), C&S Cuba, Odori's Tobacco, Creed's Tabarone, SMN's Toscano and Cuba, and Fresh's Tobacco). so another $180 is a bit nuts when i get a 50ml of VdR for half the price for basically the same fragrance (tho with less longevity/sillage of course).

btw, kudos to the TF boutique in NY for being generous with samples. saks and barneys could learn a thing or two from these boutiques.

edit: tried it on again, and i don't think it smells like VdR after all. there is something off about Noir de Noir. the rose is nowhere as good as the rose in VdR imo - NdN's rose is too feminine and not as natural and realistic smelling as VdR. this is why samples are so important and why i have stopped bothering going to places that don't give samples. had i relied on the wearing i got from the tester the other day, i would have been impressed. now that i got a sample and got to wear it in my home for a couple nights, i get to really see what this is about. i think there are better rose fragrances out there for much less to be honest.
    Last edited by union1411; 31st January 2009 at 12:19 AM.

Go try yourself some Montale Black Oud! Get past that initial blast, and you find yourself in Rose heaven!

Noir de Noir is one of my favorites from Tom Ford. The longer lasting version is Montale's Black Oud. Though it's too harsh for my nose and I think that Noir de Noir is better balanced.
    The lasting power is moderate. The development is too fast - after a period of time yuo feel vanilla and biscuits drydown which melts into the skin.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Montale Oud Queen Roses
    Diptyque Opôné
    Odori Zafferano