Code of Conduct

Question Design your HG fragrance(s)!!

I'm sure this has been done in some way in a previous thread, though maybe not in the last 6 months?

If you could design a holy grail fragrance for yourself, what would the composition be? Assuming you had the expertise of an excellent nose at your disposal to help with proportions etc... and assuming you had any and all precious ingredients at your fingertips what do you imagine this fragrance will look like on a notes pyramid?

Mine...well I have several, but here is one possibility--a vanilla gourmand of course:

Top: orange, rum, a dash of heliotrope,
    Heart: vanilla, tonka, hazelnut, almond blossom, a touch of spicy rose, cardamom
    Base: sandalwood, vanilla, musk, and a hint of amber

It's tempting to throw in too many notes, but I think exercising restraint will make for a better fragrance.
    No name for this yet, my kids are working on that!

Default Re: Design your HG fragrance(s)!!

I think I have too many imaginary fragrances lurking around my head to make just one HG.

However, I'd be quite happy to run across the following.

Top: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice
    Middle: Clove; Tobacco; Honey
    Base: Cananga; Leather; Amber

Ok, simple as can be

Top: Elusive baby's breath note and a wisp of bergamot
    Heart: Roses, damask, gallica, centifolia, hugonis
    Base: Oakmoss and a hint of benzoin resin

My summer dream scent

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I think I have too many imaginary fragrances lurking around my head to make just one HG.

However, I'd be quite happy to run across the following.

Top: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice
    Middle: Clove; Tobacco; Honey
    Base: Cananga; Leather; Amber
    Sounds like a leather/tobacco I could wrap my head around...nice!

Smile Re: Design your HG fragrance(s)!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    Ok, simple as can be

Top: Elusive baby's breath note and a wisp of bergamot
    Heart: Roses, damask, gallica, centifolia, hugonis
    Base: Oakmoss and a hint of benzoin resin

My summer dream scent
    That sounds so beautiful--ethereal even. Like a veil of finest silk. Can I have some?

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    Mine...well I have several, but here is one possibility--a vanilla gourmand of course:

Top: orange, rum, a dash of heliotrope,
    Heart: vanilla, tonka, hazelnut, almond blossom, a touch of spicy rose, cardamom
    Base: sandalwood, vanilla, musk, and a hint of amber

It's tempting to throw in too many notes, but I think exercising restraint will make for a better fragrance.
    No name for this yet, my kids are working on that!

Sounds like something I'd love. Would have try it though to see if it's not a tad too sweet. Definitely something I'd want to sample though. Gah, now you're making me crave something that does not even exist!

Btw, took a look at your wardrobe and saw that we share the love for the wonderful Yukimi.

Now this might be the worst hotchpotch imaginable, as I know jack about perfumery creation, just the notes I like. This might be like when as a kid you use all the crayons and end up with brown. But here goes:

Top: bergamot, petitgrain, ginger (hint), orange blossom if that is not over egging it

Heart: lily of the valley, jasmine (mild strength!), rose, teeniest dab of ylang ylang

Base: sandalwood, orris, amber, hint of vanilla and musk

I like incense, but will resist chucking that in, as most of the kitchen is already there! And I am not competent to add spices, though I do like those too.

How I wonder what that really would smell like, haha!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 14th January 2009 at 07:38 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

This is what I wrote on the men's side a few days ago:

Can I commission two frags?
    The first would combine a nutty opening with a heart of ripe, full fig and a drydown of frankincense, with just a smidgen of opoponax and vanilla. The drydown would be similar to Profvmvm Olibanum's; a subtle whisper of a skin scent, slightly sweetened but absolutely not syrupy at all. It'd have to be a "full" incense, not the tinny, cedary stuff found in Ouarzazate (which I also love, but not here, please). The fig would have to be completely devoid of coconutty vibes.

Secondly I'd commission a subtly spiced sandalwood-musky thing. I've not found my ideal musk yet, so this ought to be it. Sex, but no barnyard. Warm and cuddly, but not cloying. It won't even need to be very complex, just perfect. I'm not demanding at all, am I?
    And I stand by it.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

The smell of my backyard, four scents for the four different seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Now this might be the worst hotchpotch imaginable, as I know jack about perfumery creation, just the notes I like. This might be like when as a kid you use all the crayons and end up with brown. But here goes:

Top: bergamot, petitgrain, ginger (hint), orange blossom if that is not over egging it

Heart: lily of the valley, jasmine (mild strength!), rose, teeniest dab of ylang ylang

Base: sandalwood, orris, amber, hint of vanilla and musk

I like incense, but will resist chucking that in, as most of the kitchen is already there! And I am not competent to add spices, though I do like those too.

How I wonder what that really would smell like, haha!
    Well..in answer to your last question, that's why you have an experienced nose helping you with proportion! And I don't think this is a 'brown' fragrance at all. Smells great to me!

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    This is what I wrote on the men's side a few days ago:

And I stand by it.
    With regard to your musk scent, have you tried Indult's C16? I see a sample in your future!

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    The smell of my backyard, four scents for the four different seasons.
    Oh that's wonderful. And you live by the beach, so doubly wonderful. I love the smell of the seashore..in all seasons. Maybe mid-late Fall the best.

Oh god I could ponder this all night. Will ponder...
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Perhaps no surprise here, a very GREEN scent!

Top: lime leaf and lime peel, with neroli to soften
    Mid: galbanum, rosemary, frankincense and a touch of myrrh
    Base: spruce and fir absolute, vetiver, and a good dollop of old-school oakmoss

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm green goodness...
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Hillaire

Im always composing myself a fresh, late seventies-style, peppery chypre, -- androgynous, leathery, and dry:

Top aldehydes, bergamot, meyer lemon, narcissus, galbanum, rosemary, pepper, cassia
    middle geranium, orris root, rose, carnation, ylang ylang, (maybe jasmine or tuberose here)
    old school base: leather, styrax, oakmoss, patchouli, santal, civet, nitro musks(it's just for me, right?) ambergris

Soirdelune is forming an orderly queue!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I've daydreamed this fragrance for a long time.. I'd like a fragrance that is based around the ingredients of Bombay Sapphire - my favourite Gin. I think it would make a great fragrance. It smells sweet, citrus and fruity, dry, spicy and woodsy all at once. Unfortunately, it's 47% ABV so I wouldn't dream of trying to wear it alone, I'd smell as if I've been at a bar all day!

As listed on the bottle, the notes are:
    Almond - Nutty, Sweet, Cherry, Apricot, Vanilla
    Lemon peel - Tangy, Citrus, Rough
    Liquorice - Spicy, Woodsy, Anisic, Sweet
    Juniper berries - Sharp, Sweet, Peppery
    Orris root - Powdery, Woody-Green, Violet
    Angelica - Green Herbaceous, Cedar, Musky-Fruity, Animal
    Coriander - Peppery, Citrus, Lavender
    Cassia - Cinnamon-like Bark
    Cubeb - Aromatic, Allspice/Pimento.
    Grains of Paradise - Peppery, Cardamom. Gentler and more aromatic than Pepper

As Gin shouldn't be consumed without Lime (in my opinion...) I'd want Lime in it as well, as well as other citrus notes to give the topnotes a fizzy quality.
    Top; Lemon, Lime, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Angelica, Coriander

The heart would be sweet, aromatic, and spicy.
    Heart; Grains of Paradise, Cubeb, Almond, Vanilla, Licorice, Juniper

The drydown would be dry woods with the soft cinnamon note. Slightly parching from the dose of Iris.
    Base; Iris, Cassia, Cedar, Pine

In my 'minds nose'(?) it smells incredible. It looks like a lot of different notes to hit here

Quote Originally Posted by Gblue View Post
    I've daydreamed this fragrance for a long time.. I'd like a fragrance that is based around the ingredients of Bombay Sapphire - my favourite Gin. I think it would make a great fragrance. It smells sweet, citrus and fruity, dry, spicy and woodsy all at once. Unfortunately, it's 47% ABV so I wouldn't dream of trying to wear it alone, I'd smell as if I've been at a bar all day!

As listed on the bottle, the notes are:
    Almond - Nutty, Sweet, Cherry, Apricot, Vanilla
    Lemon peel - Tangy, Citrus, Rough
    Liquorice - Spicy, Woodsy, Anisic, Sweet
    Juniper berries - Sharp, Sweet, Peppery
    Orris root - Powdery, Woody-Green, Violet
    Angelica - Green Herbaceous, Cedar, Musky-Fruity, Animal
    Coriander - Peppery, Citrus, Lavender
    Cassia - Cinnamon-like Bark
    Cubeb - Aromatic, Allspice/Pimento.
    Grains of Paradise - Peppery, Cardamom. Gentler and more aromatic than Pepper

As Gin shouldn't be consumed without Lime (in my opinion...) I'd want Lime in it as well, as well as other citrus notes to give the topnotes a fizzy quality.
    Top; Lemon, Lime, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Angelica, Coriander

The heart would be sweet, aromatic, and spicy.
    Heart; Grains of Paradise, Cubeb, Almond, Vanilla, Licorice, Juniper

The drydown would be dry woods with the soft cinnamon note. Slightly parching from the dose of Iris.
    Base; Iris, Cassia, Cedar, Pine

In my 'minds nose'(?) it smells incredible. It looks like a lot of different notes to hit here
    VERY interesting.

*books time in lab*

I tried to make perfume last summer, so I know how difficult it is.
    Therefore, I hesitate to list actual top, middle, and bottom notes. I will list the dominant notes that I like and leave it to a real perfumer to concoct something full-fledged:
    Orris, galbanum, and hyacinth
    Jasmine and labdanum
    Patchouli, vanilla, and mint
    Vanilla, lemon, and musk
    Rose, patchouli, lemon, and orange
    Neroli and spices
    Hay, mate, clove, champaca, sandalwood
    Orange blossom, orange, and honey

I'm with Purplebird in the "it's pretty tricky" category, but having said that, I've had some modest success with very simple blends. I've managed to do a couple of passable functional fragrances and simple natural raw material perfume blends. Only one proper scent and that only in collaboration with very experienced perfumers. Soooo... my HG will be one that I will be able to, one day, everything permitting, make for myself from scratch. Help from colleagues would be welcome, but I'd like to do the main chunk of work. Therefore the notes and what it would contain are still out there, floating in the ether, waiting to be plucked out. I wonder whether this dream will ever come true, but I would like my story to at least read "well, she really, really tried."

Some of the notes that I adore the most are: bergamot, lemon verbena, sweet orange, honeysuckle, mimosa, jasmine and ylang & I am particularly fond of the (now unfortunately regulated) oakmoss and peru balsam. I'm also a fan of cardamom, benzoin, cedarwood, sandalwood and gaiacwood. Providing a fragrance with all of those materials wouldn't be a total mess, I might give it a whirl. But I suspect that would split up into 3 or 4 nice concepts instead. I've got a lovely start of a cardamom, orange and benzoin blend that I would like to re-work in the lab and on the other hand, I'd like to do a herbal lemon verbena scent for men.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Im always composing myself a fresh, late seventies-style, peppery chypre, -- androgynous, leathery, and dry:

Top aldehydes, bergamot, meyer lemon, narcissus, galbanum, rosemary, pepper, cassia
    middle geranium, orris root, rose, carnation, ylang ylang, (maybe jasmine or tuberose here)
    old school base: leather, styrax, oakmoss, patchouli, santal, civet, nitro musks(it's just for me, right?) ambergris
    Yes, it's just for you.
    Sounds very sophisticated!

I haven't the brainpower to do your question justice, but I can tell you the three notes I would like somewhere in my HG composition:

Sweet William
    Mountain Laurel
    Pansies

Odysseum, your very GREEN scent sounds marvelous. I can almost smell it. (This is a good exercise in stretching the imagination)

Gblue I had no idea gin, or at least Bombay Gin, could have so many flavors/notes, just like a perfume. I agree with Nukapai. Very interesting! And what a gorgeous and complex fragrance I imagine youra would be. Now I must go look up 'Cubeb' and 'Grains of Paradise!!'

Purplebird and Nukapai I have been thinking of how hard it must be to make any fragrance, let alone a good one. I'll leave it up to those with more fortitude, talent, heart, time, etc... In my fantasy world, on the other hand, my perfume is perfect the way I've listed it, with a pleasing and quite discernable progression from top to bottom. LOL!

Basenotes Institution

Violet,violet leaf, bragamot,mandarin, orange blosson,orris root, carnation,rose, oppoponax ( spelling ? ) ,amber, incense, vanilla,,myrrh and musk.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    VERY interesting.

*books time in lab*
    !!!
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123128.html

At the risk of seeming simple here is what I've been craving recently. It could all be different next week
    Lemongrass Rose, sandalwood, incense and just a tiny touch of amber.