Code of Conduct

Unhappy Problem with Fou d'Absinthe and Hinoki

Hi, I'm Stephan from Belgium, I'm new here and need your precious help!

I'm really in love with the top notes and the dry down of Fou d'Absinthe after 5 minutes, but after 30 minutes ... it's gone!
    I'm crazy about the dry down of Hinoki, and I can smell it about 8 hours on my skin ... but I'm the only one who can smell it, even I ask my friends to sniff me they can't notice.
    So, as you know my preferences, which scent could I like that has lasting power and some sillage on my skin?
    I've brown eyes-hair.

Hints:
    • Everybody praises how good I smell when I wear Le Mâle. In Belgium, Le Mâle is very common but they don't recognize it on my skin where it lasts forever and has a gigantic sillage ... but I'm the only one who doens't like it on me.

• None od the Creeds fragrances I've tried did last on my skin.

• Paestum Rose works on my skin for sillage and longevity, but I want to change.

Thank you so much!
    I've already wasted to much money and I want to find the right one.

Default Re: Problem with Fou d'Absinthe and Hinoki

Bad News: There is no right one

Good News: I suggest that you try Egoiste by Chanel (not the Platinum Egoiste). I am convinced that you will like it and yet receive compliments.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Thanks phantagarow.
    Egoïste pleases my nose on a piece of paper.
    But people will run away: on my skin, it smells like strong sweet tea and gives me and my friends headache.
    My skin just makes it smell very very bad.

My Second Take:

Chene by SL.

Woody and sweet. It also has the merit of great longevity and sillage.
    Last edited by phantagarow; 14th January 2009 at 10:38 PM.

Today I tried Cèdre SL, lasting power is great, sillage is discrete.
    But it did smell a little dirty for my taste, on the paper and on my skin. Musk?
    I didn't try Chêne SL.

You'll love it

You might try moisturizing your skin before applying. Do a simple test to convince yourself that it works: apply a generous amount of unscented body lotion to one arm, let it absorb for 5-10 minutes, then apply the same dose of fragrance to both arms and see if the lotioned arm retains sillage longer than the unlotioned arm.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Regarding longevity, I get very little with most fragrances, so I tend to spray on my chest and allow most of the juice to soak into my shirt. Very few frags will last more than a couple of hours on me unless I do this. Good luck.

I agree that both of these are excellent scents. On me they last a long, long time.
    Instead of looking for equivalents, may I suggest the following? Go to divatologists' blog about applying scent. She has some very interesting tips on how to extend the longevity of a scent. Maybe that will help you.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 14th January 2009 at 11:41 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    You might try moisturizing your skin before applying. Do a simple test to convince yourself that it works: apply a generous amount of unscented body lotion to one arm, let it absorb for 5-10 minutes, then apply the same dose of fragrance to both arms and see if the lotioned arm retains sillage longer than the unlotioned arm.
    Right, as I answered on your thread on the other side, check divatologist's blog for a very detailed explanation of ways to extend the life of a scent.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Excellent advice!

In my experience, fragrances last longer and have more sillage if I first put unscented lotion on my chest and let it fully absorb before applying whatever fragrance I am wearing. Also, having my fragrance underneath my clothes significantly increases longevity (without affecting sillage) by slowing down the evaporation process.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

You may be a Kouros man !

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Right, as I answered on your thread on the other side, check divatologist's blog for a very detailed explanation of ways to extend the life of a scent.
    Sorry, I wasn't aware of that resource. If anyone would know how to squeeze every bit of life out of a fragrance, it's Divatologist!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I did moisturize my skin after the shower this morning.
    Then I wore Hinoki.
    The sillage was much better, the longevity also.
    Thank you so much!