Code of Conduct

Default Calling all perfume sales assistants :)

I'm trying to analyse trends at the moment and would really appreciate your feedback if you are willing. (Either in PM or on this thread is fine). Please let me know which country you are from (unless it's obvious from your flag ).

What are the top 5-10 best selling female scents at the moment where you work?

What are the top 5-10 best selling male scents (as above)?

In your opinion, what is the best time of the year to launch a perfume and why?

Have you got any personal predictions for what the next big trends are going to be?

Thank you!

Default Re: Calling all perfume sales assistants :)

They are dumping fragrances at big discounts right now, I don't think this is the best time to start a line, too much competition and consumers are tapped out on luxuries, unless they are getting a steal. (I'm a consumer who majored in marketing.) Even Hermes has replaced their presitigious signature shopping bags with brown ones, so I think affordable things are the new trend. Flaunting it is not chic, if that helps, and those secondary lines charging a couple of hundred dollars per bottle are either going to have to sell smaller bottles or go out of business. Nobody is impressed, so get over yourselves. imo.

Some best selling fragrances in this country are coming from Bath and Body Works for $28 each, $10 on sale. Chanel Eau Premiere is another one, but they are Chanel, and you can get a huge bottle for about $125.
    Last edited by beachroses; 15th January 2009 at 05:25 PM.

The "festive" top 5 from our store (I can look out for company wide when I'm back in next week)
    Female;
    1 Chanel No5 [All formulations, including Eau Premiere, counted in this one]
    2 Armani Code
    3 Armani Diamonds
    4 Cacharel Anais Anais (Was on Price Promotion)
    5 Chanel Coco Mademoiselle
    (Joint 6th were Marc Jacobs Daisy, DKNY Be Delicious and Britney Spears Curious - which was on Price Promotion)
    Male;
    1 Joop! Homme
    2 Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male
    3 Paco Rabanne 1 Million
    4 Armani Code
    5 Paul Smith Extreme (Price Promo)

Current ladies top 5 (last 2 weeks sales);
    1 Mugler Angel
    2 Mugler Alien
    3 DKNY Be Delicious
    4 Chanel Coco Mademoiselle
    5 Chanel Allure
    And for the men;
    1 Joop! Homme
    2 Dior Homme Sport
    3 Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey
    4 Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male
    5 Prada Infusion d'Homme

Launches;
    Personally I've always thought the 1st quarter of the year is the best time to launch a fragrance. It's obviously the time where there are fewest releases (because everyone is skint after spending at Christmas), Valentines Day always sees an increase in sales for 'new' and Mothers Day is in the 1st quarter too (In the UK at least). But it also really sets you up for the following Christmas, as long as good awareness is created at the time of launch, and continued through the year advertising/features in magazines and on TV. Calvin Klein Man, released at this time last year IIRC, did really well, as did Boss Pure. For the ladies, Daisy (we only got it in April) and Chlo sold incredibly at Christmas.
    That's not to say fragrances that are released towards the end of the 3rd quarter (ready for September) don't do well - they are usually guaranteed success by being new and heavily promoted! JPG Ma Dame did so well that we ran out of stock on the Saturday before Christmas and have only just got it back in. And we still aren't fully stocked on 1 Million!

Trends;
    Female; One current trend seems to be releasing a bunch of scents at once. Dior did it with the Poison Elixirs (flankers of flankers!) in August, Gwen Stefani's Harajuku Lovers are out in February and Sarah Jessica Parker is releasing 3 at once in March. Scent wise, I'm glad roses seem to be over for women, because I was bored of them all coming out in a row. I think the move now is away from fruity florals into darker, richer scents ala Gucci by Gucci, a revival of Chypre with the 'modern' Chypres, avoiding Oakmoss. I want more Orientals

Male;
    Away from "Fresh". Most of the recent scents (Kenzo Power, 1 Million, Gucci by Gucci pour Homme, Dunhill Black) are not particularly citrus/aquatic. Even the incredibly citrus Dior Homme Sport was very woodsy and nicely spiced by the ginger note. I think the new dawn is Green and Soft Leather scents (with sweet notes). Paco Rabanne's Ultrared was a massive seller last summer, I think it struck a chord with the younger guys (my brother included), I can see masculine Gourmands doing well too. I'd rather there were more Florals, but I think that's a few years away yet, guys take a long time to get used to ideas like that.

I'm not sure that with all the doom and gloom about the economy in the news that there will be quite so many new lines this year. I was reading one of the industry magazines the other day and there was an article about how beauty spending increases during tough times, and a woman would rather spend her last 10 on a lippie / perfume than on food! Women's sales might increase, but I think men's could slump a bit, unless 30ml sizes become more common. Guys seem to buy one small bottle at a time and then change the next time.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Gblue; 15th January 2009 at 05:59 PM.

Thank you, Gblue, that's incredibly helpful.

Beachroses - thanks for your opinion too

Since I happen to know where you work, Nukapia, I think you're in an interesting demographic. The 'Hippie' market has grown ups using it now and I wonder whether a Harry Potter-type upgrade of the perfume branding might help keep sales buoyant. By this, I mean pretty, designer labels for the solid perfume tins etc. Not anything that would undermine the core values of the brand, but an 'adult' version - like the Harry Potter books that came out in 'grown up' covers for adults who were embarrassed to be seen reading them on the train. (No, really!)

These chaps seem to be a company similar to the one you work for http://pacificaperfume.com
    and kind of make my point about making things prettier to add perceived value.

I've noted the recent rash of 'woodies' in the ladies market before now and think your company could make a good one.
    And what about a unisex eau de cologne type spray for the summer? Refillable bottle etc etc.

I'd say your company has a great price point perfume-wise but it's possible the general public doesn't know about that side of the business as much as the soaps and bath stuff. And what does it say about you to pull out a tin with a big black sticker on it? Would it be 'nicer' or more ladylike or more self-indulgent to pull out a tin with a pretty art deco lady on it? You could offer both in tandem, just as they did with the Harry Potter books.

Feel free to say 'yes, Wordy, but...'. You know I won't get offended!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Just a shout out to Gblue for the most informative post I've seen in ages (anywhere).

:toppie: