Code of Conduct

Default How to make a fragrance last longer on skin (title edited for clarification)

I love Daim Blond but it practically disappears on my skin after the opening. There is a very short middle and then I can't discern the lovely suede drydown after, I swear, a few minutes! It lasts super-long on clothing, but I would prefer not to scent my clothes. Nor do I want to shower in Daim Blond every time I want to use it. I appreciate the subtlety of the scent, but I want to smell a bit of it every now and then at least!

I was wondering if there was some trick to extending fragrances that don't last on your skin. Some sort of layering? I tried layering DB with Clair de Musc once and that seemed to extend it a bit, though to be honest the hours-after drydown was mostly CdM with maybe a ghost of DB in it. I would have to try it again to be definitively sure.

But anyway, while I'm perfectly happy to have a full bottle of DB I don't want to buy Clair de Musc -- which is nice but not exciting for me -- just to give another fragrance a little help with my skin chemistry.

Any ideas would be welcome!
    Last edited by Aznavour; 15th January 2009 at 10:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to make Daim Blond last longer

You could try layering over moisturizer, especially one with jojoba oil is said to work well to hold the scent longer.

Default Re: How to make a fragrance last longer on skin (title edited for clarification)

Check Divatologist's blog on perfume application. She has some very detailed and interesting advice on extending the scent's life, expanding on what kumquat has said.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: How to make a fragrance last longer on skin (title edited for clarification)

Thank you! I never thought about skin moisturization (is that even a word?) having an impact on the longevity of a fragrance. And Divatologist's guide was amazing -- I'm going to try it straightaway.

Thanks again!

Applying to clothing is the best solution. If you are afraid of staining your clothing, you can try applying it to the inside.

Wink Re: How to make a fragrance last longer on skin (title edited for clarification)

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Applying to clothing is the best solution. If you are afraid of staining your clothing, you can try applying it to the inside.
    Or you could go old-school and perfume a handkerchief or a pair of gloves. ;D
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: How to make a fragrance last longer on skin (title edited for clarification)

Some of the fragrances have scented body lotion available, for example Mitsouko edt plus their own Mitsouko body lotion. The end result is layering with moisturizing as well. Also there are general body deodorant sprays by the fragrance manufacturer as well. If you use edt, body lotion and deodorant and it still doesn't last I would be very surprised.

I have two words for you, exfoliation and moisturization.
    There are skin types that just eat fragrances up and there is little you can do about it and if that is you you're going to have to learn to live with it. For most of us though a little preparation is all it takes. Twice a week you should take a washcloth/loofah and a body scrub and thoroughly exfoliate. It is sort of like preparing the canvas to receive the paint. After your shower/bath every day you should moisturize with an unscented moisturizer.
    I do this religiously and even with scents that are notoriously short-lived on others they last all day on me. Before I did this I had problems with quite a few only having two or three hours of life before disappearing completely.
    There are many economical products out there to use. I use Trader Joe's Purify tangeringe sugar scrub to exfoliate and Aveeno Daily Moisturizer with Colloidal Oatmeal as my daily moisturizer. Neutrogena and Nivea make bodyscrubs and daily moisturizers that are pretty good also.
    So try and exfoliate and moisturize for a week and spray on your most problematic frags and see if it gets any better. If not then you got the genetic short end of the stick when it comes to skin types and fragrances.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Thanks for the information, guys.

I do exfoliate a lot, but perhaps don't moisturize -- I've tried that (having read Diva's instructions) and it seems to have helped a little with Daim Blond's longevity on my skin. I find it still disappears too quickly, but oh well. It really does serve me right for buying it before living with it first -- but I still love it, so I'm not too regretful!