Code of Conduct

Thread: Leather-likes

Default Leather-likes

I'm still learning about notes, and one of more confusing things I've encountered is leather mimics.

So apparently people don't just chop up bits of leather and put them into fragrances. They use chemicals that recreate a leather-like smell.

In another thread, someone mentioned that styrax can be used to achieve a leather smell. Also, someone else mentioned that isobutyl quinoline can be used to achieve a different leather smell.

In the limited number of scents I have sampled so far, only two fragrances come to mind when someone says "leather" -- Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather and Piguet's Bandit (I've only sampled the EdT, not the EdP.).

However, I don't really smell leather in some other fragrances that other Basenotes members say contain a "leather" note. Some examples are Yatagan (which smells mostly herby aromatic to me) and Montana Parfum d'Homme (which is just all greeny amber and patchouli to me).

Could it be that I am anosmic to certain leather mimics?
    Last edited by Aiona; 16th January 2009 at 07:25 AM.

Default Re: Leather-likes

I've smelled very few leather fragrances that smell like leather. I'm baffled by supposed leather notes in Douro, REL and Bandit. The truest leather I know is Cuir Ottoman.

It seems everyone has a different idea of what leather smells like.

Our own helg posted an excellent 12-part series on leather fragrances at Perfume Shrine.
    The articles are sorted in reverse order. I started with the last article and worked my way upwards.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 18th January 2009 at 05:16 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I'll second what Two Roads says about Helg's series. It's most clear and helpful thing I've read about the history and composition of leather frags. Note the other series on vetiver, incense, jasmine, etc. Good stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I've smelled very few leather fragrances that smell like leather. I'm baffled by supposed leather notes in Douro, REL and Bandit. The truest leather I know is Cuir Ottoman.

It seems everyone has a different idea of what leather smells like.
    REL and Bandit i agree with you about....i don't get much/any leather.....but Duro i do get some.

I think part of the reason some get leather out of fragrances and others don't.....is that 'heavy woods' can also cause a leather note to be revealed...i think Duro is the perfect example of this. Heavy woods in Duro....and i think this is why i think it's got leather----but i don't think that was the goal with this when it was made.....it just sorta happened OR it happens with some of the ingredients used to make dense woods fragrances.....
    Last edited by everso; 19th January 2009 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Our own helg posted an excellent 12-part series on leather fragrances at Perfume Shrine.
    The articles are sorted in reverse order. I started with the last article and worked my way upwards.
    I'm really liking this Helg-person! Thanks for the link. On another thread, someone posted about Helg's incense series. Also very informative!!!

Aiona, pure vanilla absolute can also have a leathery smell to it. When I smelled a good quality example, I smelled leather, wood, tobacco, cognac and the usual sweet "custard".

Blog Entries

Very nice. Thanks, TwoRoads. What an amazing integration of history, fashion, culture, and scent - all based on leather. I couldn't stop reading it. I think it gives me a better understanding of REL as well. I think REL dates from a time when perfumers were thinking of scents for leather, rather than scents of leather, which are meant to evoke the totality. I sometimes get a giggle when I do the Basenotes salute (wrist to nose) and detect how cleanly modern leather notes merge into the scent of my black leather jacket. For that reason I have to be careful when taking mental notes on a new fragrance when I ride my cycle!

Thank you so much for sharing that information. It is very enjoyable and a good reference.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Late in drydown, leather is quite prominent in Yatagan. It's a softer leather than you usually find in leather dominant frags though. Another one I own that has a nice leather is Lapidus pour Homme. There are dozens of frags with prominent leather notes; it often comes off as kind of a bitter/animalic note. Many times it doesn't smell exactly like real leather either. In general, I'm not a big fan of leather frags.

I'd say Everlast Original 1910 is my favorite "clear leather" frag, meaning that there's no doubt it's there (it plays a prominent role).