Code of Conduct

Default Apres L'Ondee reduces me to tears!

I was delighted to receive a batch of samples from a very generous
    enabler over on POL. The first one to catch my eye was Guerlain's
    Apres L'Ondee. I have wanted to try this and L'Heure Bleu for a long
    time now, so I immediately dabbed some on my wrists - and burst into tears!
    Now that is what I call genius - melancholia in a bottle.

Never before have I had this reaction to a scent; I was not depressed or in
    a sad state of mind before trying it. The last time I cried was two weeks ago at the
    end of watching the last episode of Anne Frank's Diary. It really is just breathtakingly
    beautiful in a wistful, impressionistic way. It reminded me of Eric Satie's music or
    a Monet painting. Pure magic. Anyone know a good place to buy it?
    Please don't tell me it's discontinued or I might cry again.....

Default Re: Apres L'Ondee reduces me to tears!

http://www.escentual.com/guerlain/apres-l-ondee/

What made me nearly cry recently is Malle/Ellena's L'Eau d'Hiver, which supposedly pays homage to Après l'Ondée but really only proves that progress doesn't always equal improvement.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

FM Angeliques sous la Pluie is another tear jerker! Recommended for funerals, to which I have worn it.

A reviewer once likened Apres L'Ondee to "mercury trickling down bathroom walls", which I think is very apt. It was one of the scents I tried early on in my hobby, and full-on mania swiftly followed....!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 16th January 2009 at 11:38 AM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

That's such an apt review of this beautiful fragrance. To me it feels not melancholic, exactly, but vulnerable. Like being a little kid lying in the grass of a small garden, looking up through branches as it starts to rain.

Sounds like I should stay away from this one...since I have a melancholic disposition to begin with.

I love and own Apres L'Ondee. It does turn me inward. It is so exquisitely beautiful.

But when I wear AG Songes I can become teary. I must feel quite grounded to wear it.

Basenotes Institution

I recently fell for this a couple months ago.

I thought it was too, too...dusty and faded on me when I first wore it. Then a certain bath gel I was using opened my nose up to the wonders of mimosa/heliotrope and after that when I sampled ALO it 'clicked'. Now I love it.

I will be going thru my decant very quickly - I could easily see owning a full bottle of this. And yes, it makes me wistful and melancholic too. Perfect scent for sitting at home, in bed, curled up with a book, under the covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Sounds like I should stay away from this one...since I have a melancholic disposition to begin with.
    Same here, so Après l'Ondée, is not for me unless I have time to turn into Emily Dickinson. However, it is one of those fragrances that must be experienced because it's incredibly beautiful, complex, and evocative! L'Eau d'Hiver is exquisite, yet it doesn't permeate my frontal lobe and cerebrum, making it, for me, a more sensible, less stupefying choice. (The two fragrances are not twins, but Hiver is an homage to AlO).

I must completely avoid L'Heure Bleue. I don't have the emotional resources for it!

Kewart, it was your identical post on POL that made me bring my bottle of Apres l'Ondee out of storage and onto my skin this weekend. I didn't see this post on BN till just now.

I've never had a good relationship with this fragrance, and the edt fades very quickly to my nose, but I'm now wearing this for the second day. That's a record for Apres l'Ondee. I may wear it tomorrow for work, but only in the hope that it makes itself known to me during the day.

I've heard of others having this reaction to Apres L'Ondée.

I'd love to myself, but it doesn't pierce my apparently stone cold heart.

It reminds me of childhood in the sense that on me, it smells like that bubble solution we used to blow. But I occasionally retry it, hoping for a more profound reaction.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I've heard of others having this reaction to Apres L'Ondée.

I'd love to myself, but it doesn't pierce my apparently stone cold heart.

It reminds me of childhood in the sense that on me, it smells like that bubble solution we used to blow. But I occasionally retry it, hoping for a more profound reaction.
    LOL, BlackCat. Me, too. I've never had a fragrance make me feel sad, or wistful, or melancholy. Maybe a "stone cold heart" is a good thing!

Kewart, I do find this fragrance to be very beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    LOL, BlackCat. Me, too. I've never had a fragrance make me feel sad, or wistful, or melancholy. Maybe a "stone cold heart" is a good thing!
    Ha, same here, until recently.
    The only one that recently managed to make me feel sad was Coromandel. I find something quite sad about that earthy patchouli, probably because it reminds me of rainy, gray, depressing days in drenched forests with your shoes slowly filling with icy water.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 19th January 2009 at 11:09 AM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Blog Entries

Vol de Nuit is in the same vein but deeper and has amber at the base. In the parfum, I find it heartbreakingly beautiful, too.
    Last edited by kumquat; 20th January 2009 at 08:18 PM.

Did you try the pure parfum version?
    Almost all of the the Guerlains are best that concentration.
    TPC has it in samples, half a ml for $13. Pricy.
    I got a tiny drop of it when my daughter went to London several years ago.
    Oh, bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Ha, same here, until recently.
    The only one that recently managed to make me feel sad was Coromandel. I find something quite sad about that earthy patchouli, probably because it reminds me of rainy, gray, depressing days in drenched forests with your shoes slowly filling with icy water.
    Um, sounds delightful, veuve. Are you going to wear it again?

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Um, sounds delightful, veuve. Are you going to wear it again?
    Doesn't it just?
    Well, i actually quite liked the fragrance, it just seemed melancholy. I will definitely try it again to see if it wasn't a weird one-off at least, and simply because it was beautiful.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams