Code of Conduct

Default I smelled Joy today

And ran for cover. It's terrifyingly over-floral to me. I'm scared of it. I've never smelled anything that is quite so flowery.
    I didn't know what was going on, all I know of Joy is Turin's 5 star review.

Default Re: I smelled Joy today

Did you catch a whiff of its civet underbelly, by any chance?
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Our fragrance training said that there are 10,000+ jasmine blossoms and hundreds of Bulgarian roses used to produce just 30ml of Joy. Flower-o-rama!!

Its a stunning scent when used sparingly.

It is very floral at first, but oh the delights it gives forth over time. It is one of only 5 florals, true florals that is, that I can truly tolerate; it is the depth of the scent which helps.
    It really is a masterpiece; but do experience it in the Parfum, or EDP versions, the EDT is a bit more 'bright'.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    It is very floral at first, but oh the delights it gives forth over time.....It really is a masterpiece; but do experience it in the Parfum, or EDP versions, the EDT is a bit more 'bright'.
    AMEN!! AMEN!!! and AMEN!!!!! (in my never-humble-opinion....I quite like the EDT for summer.)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

It bears too much of a resemblance to thick, good quality rose absolute to my nose (and I have a similar problem with A la Nuit/Serge Lutens in regards to jasmine absolute) - it's not a scent I would want to wear, but I can appreciate it on others.

Basenotes Institution

To me Joy is beautiful - I do appreciate it - but overbearing. I much prefer 1000.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Well I shall give it a chance to develop next time - I put it on a card (just in case - glad I did!). I didn't catch anything civet-y whatsoever. (It was the EdT, I believe)

I also LOVE Joy, and think it is a masterpiece! It's one of those scents that gets better and better as it dries down, when the florals smooth and the civet starts to poke it's head out, but not (imo) in an overbearing way. I think it's lovely, and definitely in my top 10!
    I can understand though, that those of you who really can't handle civet, and I agree, it's certainly not for everyone, would want to run for the hills. I feel the same about anise, or anything with a strong licorice accord!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

I have a generous sample of Joy extrait ( parfum) and I look forward to trying it when I don't feel too gloomy. I want to give it a good try but I will keep the sample anyway for reference purposes unless I loathe it.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    ...but I will keep the sample anyway for reference purposes unless I loathe it.
    Keep it for reference purposes especially if you loathe it.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gblue View Post
    And ran for cover.
    I don't run fast, but I might outpace you where Joy's concerned. I've tried. I've really tried to make friends with it. I don't even get florals--just an assault on my senses. The concentration or duration changes nothing. I would love to smell this on someone else (as long as I'm wearing my athletic shoes--just in case).

I never cared for it, as a girl-
    Even though a marvellous woman I knew and loved wore it .

To my surprise- I adore it now, and can wear it in any form...
    Brielle is spot on about trying all forms of it; like the Chanel # 5, they are each unique.

Believe me- I was as surprised as anyone, that we liked each other, Joy and I.

Jasmine rocks!
    You know, for a flower, it is very animalic.
    Most jasmine fragrances are going to have a "dirty" aspect if they've got enough of the real stuff in them.

Basenotes Institution

GBlue, please try the EdP.

I thought the EdT was too, too bright and floral for me. The EdP is civet-y, skanky and darker. Wonderful. Vintage juice is even better.

^ I'll keep my eye out for the EdP then. "Skanky" sounds a lot better than the flourescent floral fiasco that assaulted my nose.

I love Joy! It portrays mature elegance to me and it has such wonderful longevity. I do not wear it in the summer in Miami, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Our fragrance training said that there are 10,000+ jasmine blossoms and hundreds of Bulgarian roses used to produce just 30ml of Joy. Flower-o-rama!!

Its a stunning scent when used sparingly.
    I had a EDP sample a few years ago, wans't impressed. Recently I smelt the pafum in Roja Dove's shop in Harrods. It took by surprise - huge floral, so rich and deep. I love florals.
    Last edited by j_mysscent; 21st January 2009 at 07:59 AM.